• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a brush licker as well.

BRUSH LICKERS!! UNITE!!

:upside:

I may only lick my brushes to form the points on them AFTER I have cleaned them.  Otherwise I stay away from brush licking as a rule.  I don't want multi colors in my mouth, and since I have a fair idea of some of the compounds that go into paint - even the "non-toxic" ones, I will err on the side of caution and avoid the chemotherapy later on in life.

I don't use Magic Wash, despite the fact that I'm a big user of Future for clearcoats. The primary reason is that I don't want to add extra layers to my paintjob and begin to obscure details. Plus the technique would require more set-up and special handling that I'd find inconvenient.

Like others I use extenders and flow improvers. Right now I prefer extender as it seems to increase the transparency of my washes, which I find very important (I prefer subtle washes and highlights, rather than the GW Crayola Explosion they used to do). I use the FolkArt stuff, which I find is no different than the Liquitex Slo-Dri IMHO.

And licking brushes is icky. I wonder how much Titanium or Cadmium you'd need in your system before you get cancer...

Damon.

I started playing around with Flow Improvers and Slo-dri extenders after reading Whiz's article in the Craft section on the Reaper main site. Being a newbie, I made the obvious (THIN YOU PAINTS) mistake and initially didnt. I then was using water, but was often frustrated by the loss of color when I really thinned aggressively.

It's been about two months now, but I am really enjoying the difference on how my paints behave with my large jar of alchemical mix and an eye dropper.

The only difficulty I had was actually finding the Liquitex Slo-dri in liquid form. Seemed everywhere liked to sell it only as a gel medium. Finally found a bunch at a small art supply store in Arlington which I officially love now.

BTW, thanks for the article Whiz, and for the emails about diluting/not diluting the mediums pre-mix as follow up ::D:

I have a huge bottle of future on my paint station and now don't touch it I will probably move it to the cleaning supply cabinet <_<

My favorite flow aide is by Liquitex I put it in an eyedropper bottle with 1 part flowaide to about 15 parts water it works great for everything though I thin it a bit more for glazing.

My favorite blending medium is Windsor and Newton but be careful that it dries well or you can really mess up a paint job :down: