Baldorf the Brave

joe b

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I blame dark pics. The highlights are almost pure white so there is very little chance they aren't popping enough.

At some point I need a better camera, the little mini-digital just isn't cutting it anymore.

I really like the color choices here. Well, purple is my favorite color and purple and black is a great combo. Very smooth paint job. I could not see any grainy areas and that takes some skill.

I have some suggestions about the photos, 1) Use a photo editor to bring out the Contrast, Lightness, Gamma, and maybe even the color Saturation, which would help these greatly. 2)This is a tip I learned on these Forums - Build a shadow box to get better lighting effects all the way around your mini. I used a square 10x10x10 card board box, cut square holes in the top and sides (when laying on one side) then re-enforced the edges with 1/4" balsa for some stability. I then covered the square holes with 1 sheet of white copy paper each. You can use other types of paper, but for my lighting, I found that the copy paper works best. I then use 3 desk lamps to project light through the cut outs and presto; Softer lighting from all sides. you can also load different backgrounds that may show off your miniatures better. I will post a photo of my set up and shoot you a link to a very easy to use and free photo editor in a post tomorrow.

Have a good night.

Very nice. The purple really looks great. I like this mini a lot. I just bought the blister a few weeks ago. Are you going to paint up and post the mounted version? You gotta that that little dragon he's riding.

I really like the color choices here. Well, purple is my favorite color and purple and black is a great combo. Very smooth paint job. I could not see any grainy areas and that takes some skill.

I have some suggestions about the photos, ...

Thanks for the advice ... I've done all this and more in the past, you can see that these photos here are much better than the ones of Baldorf. The problem was, when I used the same blue felt in my lightbox for Baldorf, my camera did all sorts of bad crap with the color tuning such that he came out looking ... well, wierd. So I fell back to the white background and fiddled with exposure settings and lights until I got a decent pic.

As I said, at this point, I need a camera that I can control the exact exposure and color balance on without it trying all sorts of auto-sh** to do what it thinks is the right thing. For now, I think if I tried to photograph this guy again I'd have to use a practically black/very dark grey background so that the camera didn't think that the blue was trying to be white, etc.

I think, looking back on it, that the reason why Turanil's photo came out so damn nice was that he's basically all 3 primary colors (RGB) and so the camera was able to auto adjust to a balanced white over the entire image even though there was a large amount of blue in the pic. With Baldorf, that wasn't going to happen because he's basically all purple.

Anyways, ... back to the drawing board.

Very nice. The purple really looks great. I like this mini a lot. I just bought the blister a few weeks ago. Are you going to paint up and post the mounted version? You gotta that that little dragon he's riding.

So, the blister I bought didn't actually have Baldorf's second "pose", so while I have his little riding wolf/dog/whatever, I don't have him in his seated form. I complained to my seller but since ME is out of business I don't expect any change. And it isn't that big a deal anyways, I got what I needed out of it.

I complained to my seller but since ME is out of business I don't expect any change.

Valiant Enterprises LTD (veltd.com) is the owner of that line now. I bought a mis-packed blister and they sent me the part.

This looks awesome to me. If some are seeing the purple NMM as not as shiny as it could be, maybe it's because you made the black fabric stuff just as shiny as the metals (or maybe even a little moreso)? A piece of polished steel next to knitted wool looks shinier than the same piece of metal next to silk, right? But I see no reason why he shouldn't wear silk. He looks like he's earned it, and people can wait to find out how metallic his armor really is when they try to stick a sword through it. :o)

Very nicely done.

Kang

I have some suggestions about the photos, ...

Thanks for the advice ... I've done all this and more in the past, you can see that these photos here are much better than the ones of Baldorf. The problem was, when I used the same blue felt in my lightbox for Baldorf, my camera did all sorts of bad crap with the color tuning such that he came out looking ... well, wierd. So I fell back to the white background and fiddled with exposure settings and lights until I got a decent pic.

As I said, at this point, I need a camera that I can control the exact exposure and color balance on without it trying all sorts of auto-sh** to do what it thinks is the right thing. For now, I think if I tried to photograph this guy again I'd have to use a practically black/very dark grey background so that the camera didn't think that the blue was trying to be white, etc.

I think, looking back on it, that the reason why Turanil's photo came out so damn nice was that he's basically all 3 primary colors (RGB) and so the camera was able to auto adjust to a balanced white over the entire image even though there was a large amount of blue in the pic. With Baldorf, that wasn't going to happen because he's basically all purple.

Anyways, ... back to the drawing board.

Ok, no problem. Not all my suggestions work for everybody, but the program I was turned on to here on this sight, I believe would help. So, I hope you don't mind but I copied your photo and put it into my photo editor program called Photofiltre. I just wanted everyone to see what a great job you did. I think this will show him off a little better. I upped the Gamma 3 notches, the contrast 1 notch and the saturation 1 notch.

If you like this, I can shoot you the link.

Jim

post-6227-1269402634336_thumb.jpg