Magnifying Visors?

Harak720

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a best choice for everyone. It depends on what you're looking for. A lot of people have the Optivisor (which I like), but the MagEyes gets some praise, too. Others use a pair of reading glasses, and some remove their regular glasses to see better close up. I know one fellow here uses a microscope.

The eye strain might come from wearing it for too long a period of time without a break. I don't leave my Optivisor on for extended periods, generally, and I haven't noticed strain.

Another possibility is that you don't have enough light, or the quality of the light could be poor. Whiter light, such as that from daylight CFLs has worked well for me, and others will tell you they like the Ott Lights. I suggest you paint with at least two lamps, one on each side of you, to offer better light and fewer shadows.

Another possibility is that you don't have enough light, or the quality of the light could be poor. Whiter light, such as that from daylight CFLs has worked well for me, and others will tell you they like the Ott Lights. I suggest you paint with at least two lamps, one on each side of you, to offer better light and fewer shadows.

Interesting. Thanks for the tips!

Everything Serenity said is good.

I personally use an Optivisor.

My light set up is one Ott-light, and one desk lamp with a 5000 kelvin CFL bulb. The CFL bulb is a lot cheaper than the Ott-light.

I also really only use the Optivisor when I'm finishing up details (eyes, tattoos, freehand designs). For 90% of my painting, I just use the 20/80 vision I was born with.

I have this magnifying lamp and love it. I tried reading glasses and an optivisor but like this much better. The little 4x lens requires the mini to be too close to use it for painting but can be used for close up inspection. The regular lens provides more than enough magnification in my opinion, though.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/daylight-naturalight-magnifying-table-lamp/

I'm using an Optivisor with a #3 lens & It came with a nice spotlight & transformer set up attached (It was a gift from a friend's father. He used to be a doctor & used it in his practice before he retired. It is an amazing kit, esp. when you are painting driver's periscopes on your microarmour...

I use an Optivisor with the DA-7 lens (2.75x magnification). I wear it comfortably for extended periods, and because I'm still very much a beginner, I find it helps to really "see" what is happening at a granular level when I basecoat vs. wash vs. glaze etc. It's helping me get to know the paint I'm using. I also use an Ott-Lite, plus basic room lighting.

I don't use one. Just because no one judges with them on. Maybe they do and i'm just out of the loop.

They may not judge with visors on but don't think that a judge won't find that mistake you made or the brushstroke on the cloak or that hairline mold line line in the deepest fold of the cloak! They are taking a seriously hard look at a mini when judging for a competition and you would be surprised at what flaws they find without a visor.

I use this one http://i0.jtv.com/loadimage.aspx?btype=.jpg&h=400&w=533&cgid=2624474&img=1

It's 1.8x with the first lens, flip down the second lens and it's 2.3x, then it has a the 3x loupe. I often switch between the two main lenses and rarely use the loupe.

I like it a lot; wear it for hours with out any eye strain and it's comfortable enough. The trick to keeping it comfortable is to just set it on your head; not strap it down tight to your skull. I set it on my head almost like a crown; just resting atop and not pulled down tight. It's not like I'm running around or bouncing so it doesn't fall off even when looking down at what I'm working on.

Draw back is plastic lenses. They do scratch super easy. However I've had mine over a year now and just have a few scratches; nothing that bothers me (I can't even see them with the visor on)

Wish I didn't need one but I have poor sight =(