Magnifying Visors?

Harak720

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're nearsighted, when you take your glasses off, it's the optical equivalent of using a magnifier, without the bulky headset. (In my case, it's equivalent to a 2.5X magnifier.)

I don't use one. Just because no one judges with them on. Maybe they do and i'm just out of the loop.

When I judge, I don't use a magnifier, but I take my glasses off. So, technically, .... :rolleyes:

I can't recall seeing a magnifier in use by other judges, but Heisler is right. I'm alternately fascinated and appalled by the idea of being in the room when my one of my miniatures is being judged. It can be pretty brutal, but there's an elegance to even brutal truth.

I guess. :rolleyes:

Who uses them and which is the best? I'm using a Bausch and Lombe Magna Visor which is okay but it'd be nice if it shone light. Also, I'm starting to feel some eye strain, though I don't know if that's from the visor.

I used the optivisor till I lost it...now I just use a pair of reading glasses (2.75). They work great...but do give some eye strain if you wear them too long.

About a billion years ago, my parents bought me this little thing with two articulated metal arms with clips on the ends and a 5x magnifier in the middle... I never really used it until a few years ago - I disassembled it and rebuilt it so that it's a single long articulated arm with the magnifier lens on the end.

I place it right near the edge of my painting table, between my arms as I paint, so I can look through it without it getting in the way. Since it's articulated, I can adjust the position and angle of the lens to be more comfortable for me - I generally tend to scrunch up and hunch over my work, so I basically use it as a monocle, lol.

I've gotten my best results with a jeweler's magnifying lamp, a circular lamp consisting of a nine-inch magnifying glass surrounded on the far side by a fluorescent donut-shaped bulb. Now I wonder how I ever painted anything up to snuff without it.

http://www.harborfre...=112&zmap=66398 with a GE Natural bulb works great for me. I use another flourescent lamp that's an Ott knock-off, but but flourescents alone (unless full spectrum) can distort the colors considerably.

The faux-Ott provides some nice ambient light, while the 60 W Natural shows me the colors fairly accurately. I'd use all incandescent, but the heat makes the paint dry too fast.