Maybe a dumb idea ..but?

DarusGrey

So here I am, practicing my blending, layering etc, techniques, when I think..

"well gee..isnt it a real pain in the arse to keep stripping these everytime I screw up well practicing"

Reaper ever consider selling just what I'd call a "Pewter Pallete"?

Just a bumpy pewter sheet whos sole purpose is to practice on?

Prefer something with same consistancy as what I'd normally paint on as opposed to just priming say a piece of wood

If ya ever do..first customer here.

Discuss, wether this is a good idea or just random stupidity.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want something to practice on?

Take a piece of cardboard and cover it with a couple sheets of aluminum foil.  Crinkle the foil in some areas or texture it with other objects.  Prime, then paint.  Voila!  You are using a good practice board and when done, just remove the foil, and apply new foil.

I just practice on my minis.  I rarely strip them down, and when I finish one I almost never go back to fix it.   have too many unpainted minis on my shelf and too many on my wish list.  My wife does not want me to buy anymore until I get some of the 200+ unpainted ones done.  She just does not understand the hobby.

Make a mistake, learn from it and keep moving.

I just practice on my minis.  I rarely strip them down, and when I finish one I almost never go back to fix it.

Same here. Just too many unpainted minis to justify stripping them. If a few come out so-so, I just move on and keep working. They make handy comparison points later to see how I have improved or what techniques work better for what I am trying to achieve.

Yea, I swore off stripping unless it's a rare mini or some conversion job.

I decided I can't waste my time stripping when I should be painting with all these minis lying around.

Just have to live with my poorly painted minis.

:p

You want a practice mini to paint on?  Just whip out an old crappy mini.  Otherwise, you'll never get them all painted.

Unless of course you're a sensible painter who knows not to buy too as many minis as I have.

:)

Besides, you'll never know how well your experiment may come out, so you may not want to waste time practicing on a piece of wood or whatever.

Another idea for those of you who don't want to practice on your minis.

Get a block of sculpey, and knead it till its pliable then roll it into a thickness of about 1/4 inch.

Now press different textures into it, like cloth, bumps, nails and all sorts of things, or make rifts in it to represent cloth.

Now bake at 275 degrees Farenheit for roughly 10-15 minutes.  

Allow to cool to room temp.

Prime and paint.  And on this you can build up as many layers of paint as you want.  I do not suggest dunking it in stripper though because I do not know what effect that would have on the polymers that make up the clay.

Prime and paint.  And on this you can build up as many layers of paint as you want.  I do not suggest dunking it in stripper though because I do not know what effect that would have on the polymers that make up the clay.

I clean cured Super Sculpey with rubbing alcohol; no problems.  Winsor & Newton brush cleaner (my main paint remover) doesn't seem to affect it either.  Primer does bond very tightly to Sculpey, though; with a light cleaning you may not need to reprime at all.

Mercy, I love Sculpey.  :)

OMG! Thanks for reminding me folks!

I plopped a giant scorpion and a couple of others in yesterday and forgot all about them (again). :oops:  :p  :laugh:

As an answer, yes I start over, I am way to critical of myself and have a tendency to toss 'em in the green bath when no one is looking (only to get my backside chewed on later by someone that really liked that one, d*** it).

Orchid - who think she really would forget her head lest it's being attached :)

I clean cured Super Sculpey with rubbing alcohol; no problems.  Winsor & Newton brush cleaner (my main paint remover) doesn't seem to affect it either.  Primer does bond very tightly to Sculpey, though; with a light cleaning you may not need to reprime at all.

Mercy, I love Sculpey.  :)

Oh Sculpey is one of the 7 wonders of the modern world, yes.... :p

The stuff you can make with it is amazing.

Thanks for the info on what it handles.

I have 4 or 5 old minis I use for testing.  Great for testing how different colors go together, and for testing each wash I mix for consistency.  When all 5 are covered, I don't waste time stripping them.  They just get another coat of primer!

When they all look like poor shambling mounds, I hit my FLGS's $1 bin of crappy minis to restock.   :laugh:

When they all look like poor shambling mounds, I hit my FLGS's $1 bin of crappy minis to restock.   :laugh:

Then you can just paint them green and use them as Shambling Mounds. Nice.

This reminds me of an old "What's New?" bit, with the award-winning miniature of an "ogre" having 234 layers of paint. He started out as a halfling...

I have 4 or 5 old minis I use for testing.  Great for testing how different colors go together, and for testing each wash I mix for consistency.  When all 5 are covered, I don't waste time stripping them.  They just get another coat of primer!

I WISH the several local FLGS had a crappy mini bin where minis were $1 a piece.  Man I could have fodder for conversions, and places to practice technique.  For now I will stick with practicing on larger plaster figures and pieces of flat sculpey and other minis that I am not so worried about.