What are your must have Triads...Top 3...

Druthu

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really a very personal question. I may prefer a different shade of red than you do. I know people who like to use much brighter colors than me, and people who like to use muddy dark colors that I don't like. On top of that, it highly depends on what you're painting. If I am working on my elf army it's going to be 9765 Sea Blues and 9725 Ochre Golds. If I am working on Nefsokar or Egyptian pieces it will be an entirely different mix. And I don't always use triads. So you can pick my favorite colors and then find you don't have what you need to paint what you want.

You can't go wrong with a basic rainbow of colors all in the same tone. Like Fire Red, Jade Green, Sapphire Blue, Muddy Brown, Sun Yellow, Imperial Purple, plus black and white. Build from there as the need for new colors arises.

What Dr. Bedlam said. Still to add a few new ones:

The Red Violet triad

The Seafoam Blue triad

The Blackened Brown triad

I find myself using the Blackened Brown triad so much I need to replace both Walnut and Blackened brown very soon. I just love the colors of the other two... and try to find more excuses to use them :)

I agree with the Skin tone triads, but I also Like the Blood Triad, the Ocean Blues Triad, and the Neutral colors Triad. If you are just learning and do not want to attempt Non-Metallic Metals yet, some of the Metallic triads are great. Any of the green or Brown triads are good if you are planing on woodland miniatures.

All of these are just my preferences, but the best way to look at buying paints is to buy a figure or two and picture what you would like it or them to look like, or use some ideas from other painted figures you have seen and try that. Then purchase your paints accordingly as to what you think would work best. Once you have painted a few, you will start to get a feel what works for you and your style or what looks best on certain types of figures.

Miniature painting does not have to be all about period likeness; you can use a little artistic licence and create something completely out of the ordinary. Just remember that you want to use colors that work well together, but the best way to find that out is to play around a little. Have fun and I hope to see some pictures of your completed works. ::):

As Inarah said, quite a bit will depend on what you are painting, sort of like asking what your 3 must have tools are without specifying if you're mostly working on pipes, wood, cars, etc.

That said, for my mostly painting fantasy humans, orcs, undead and the occasional monster, my short list of colors that I use on most projects includes:

• Warm Deep Browns Triad
  • Off-Whites Triad
  • Neutral Grays Triad
  • Burnt Colors Triad
  • Ivory Bone Triad
  • Pure White
  • Brown Liner
  • Walnut Brown

Reds, Greens, Blues, Yellows, Skin Tones, etc all would depend on what I'm painting.

Ron

I'll jump in with Inarah and plug buying the rainbow first, and then start worrying about triads. Without getting into specifics, I find that greys, browns, and offwhites (ivory, bone, sand tones) are the places where I need the most subtle variations for NMM, hair and shade/highlight work, so that tends to form about 40-50% of my paint rack.

• Reaper User

I'm with Inarah on this one. If you have a very limited budget then individual colors are going to be more useful to you than triads. When I travel I only like to take a few paints with me, and I mix everything else from there, but if you are not a mixer then here are my favorite MSP colors:

9003 Blood red

9008 Sunlight Yellow

9014 Grass Green

9097 Clear Blue

9240 Royal Purple

9199 Russet Brown

9162 Driftwood Brown

9044 Tanned Skin

9066 Blue Liner

9064 Brown Liner or 9136 Walnut Brown

9039 Pure White

9089 Cloudy gray

9074 Palomino Gold

Lately I also really enjoy the shadow color in the red hair triad.

--Anne

::):

• Reaper User

I'm with Inarah on this one. If you have a very limited budget then individual colors are going to be more useful to you than triads. When I travel I only like to take a few paints with me, and I mix everything else from there, but if you are not a mixer then here are my favorite MSP colors:

9003 Blood red

9008 Sunlight Yellow

9014 Grass Green

9097 Clear Blue

9240 Royal Purple

9199 Russet Brown

9162 Driftwood Brown

9044 Tanned Skin

9066 Blue Liner

9064 Brown Liner or 9136 Walnut Brown

9039 Pure White

9089 Cloudy gray

9074 Palomino Gold

Lately I also really enjoy the shadow color in the red hair triad, and I use a lot of Stained Ivory, Creamy Ivory or Snow Shadow as the shadows for my whites.

--Anne

::):