Reapercon: What to Expect?

Arkhein

Howdy Ya'll,

I'm considering going to Reapercon, but am not sure quite what to expect in a gaming convention. Besides a lot of Warlord playing, miniature painting, and mass purchasing of metal, (which all sounds fine to me,) what goes on at the con? I've never been to a gaming convention, so I am a bit unsure as to what wallowing in geekiness for four days looks like. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong place for information.

I am relatively new to Warlord (still haven't worked up to an 1,000 point game yet) and am looking forward to it. But I was wondering if other games are played - after all - it's four days long.

I enjoy GMing RPGs, and am wondering if that kind of thing goes on too. My thoughts go to running one-shots in Taltos using Savage Worlds, with plots like a band of Mercenaries infiltrating a Necropolis Warren/Dungeon, to scenario in which a forced alliance of Reven and Darkspawn players must find a desecrate the Crusaders well hidden Avatar of Celestial Justice. Other ideas include non-Reaper related things, such as a Savage Worlds mini-quest in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians realm (books not movies) entitled "After all that Searching we Finally Discover the Legendary Phoenix at a Luby's Early Bird Special . . . In Phoenix." But that is how my mind works when I start thinking about things like this. :)

So, what should I expect at Reapercon, and what would it take to organize games there?

Thanks,

Shawn

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to warlord, we have a full slate of RPG events going on the entire show, with a dozen or so different hosts, and a half a dozen systems. There's always a new reaper board game, one year it was Risk on our map of Adon, once it was Life as a green. There's also a fun warlord-lite dungeon crawl treasure hunting monster slaying game, and a really neat zombie battle in a scale model of the Reaper factory - survive the zombie apocalypse as a Reaper Employee!

We'll have a full slate of painting and sculpting classes going online very soon - so you can sign up and learn to paint or sculpt with one of our professional painters or sculptors! There's something like 60 different classes, but you couldn't possibly take all of them.

We also have painting contests, the VCR challenge, a paint and take, several fun painting challenges - speed painting, a "Sophie says" speed paint, and grudge matches.

Then there's shopping directly from our factory floor, where we'll cast on demand anything you need, the full-service game store at the front (the Asylum) and the seminars by the artists! There's also an auction where we auction off a bunch of our stuff, paints, minis, hats and mugs, posters and so on, and the HUGE international painting competition.

When you aren't doing those things,you can take the factory tour, watch minis being cast, and sit and chat with the artists (the ones that aren't currently teaching or hosting seminars), or just sit and enjoy putting faces to the names on the forums.

I'm sure there's more, too...

I too wonder if the rumours are true. Does ReaperBryan really dress as Sophie and LARP at the con for four days?????

Why must you try to scare the new people away??

I categorically deny all rumors about this.

I have never Sophie LARPed for four entire days.

You might want to read this other thread which covers a lot of the same questions.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/38936-new-to-reapercon-events-things-to-do/page__p__555331__hl__reapercon__fromsearch__1entry555331

Reapercon is not like a lot of other game conventions in that it is held at the Reaper facility, not a hotel, and it is run by Reaper, not a committee of fans. The focus is on Reaper games and products, although other makers will be represented in the store and in the paint contest and if you want to talk about how great some other company is nobody will throw you out just for mentioning it.

But it is a small, low key event, in a warehouse, and amenities are limited though Reaper makes great efforts to provide a fun comfortable event. There's tables for painting, Sonic will be there with food, Warlord games and the dungeoncrawl, some after hours RPGs, but IMO the best part is the painting and sculpting classes.

Some photos from a previous year: http://www.lshm.net/albums/reapercon07/

I've attended once, in 2008 with a friend of mine. It was very relaxed and everyone was so friendly. I had an accident with a paint bottle and paint and the cap went everywhere. One of the daughters of someone who worked at Reaper went and got me a new bottle. It's just that friendly and laid back.

I watched some games of Warlord, and the Dungeon Crawl, but spent most of my time oogling the painted miniatures in the cases and painting in the open paint area. All in all its a very relaxing few days.

Reaper is just.. awesome :)

Well, if last year was anything to go on, there's the wench auction, where various gamers auction off their spouses and assorted relatives in order to afford their miniatures habit. It took a long time last year, because they had to keep unmasking and removing Reaperbryan as he sneaked onstage in various disguises.

There was the Iron Pewter Man competition, which consists of guys throwing minis at each other until someone passes out from shock, impact, or gradual blood loss. Those li'l swords are pointy, you know.

I very much enjoyed the Wine-In-A-Box tasting, although I recommend you bring your own straw.

Oh, and don't forget the Asian Style Fire Drills, which actually aren't drills -- when you have that many crazy people in one place, someone periodically sets fire to the place, hence all the fire extinguishers around. They give limited edition figures to the first people to find open flames!

...and the Last Man Standing event, which combines speed painting with strong drink; you have to take a snort every time the timer goes off, which can lead to some really bizarre paint jobs by the time the competition ends. I understand I did fairly well at this one last year, although I can't remember a thing about it.

The event wraps up with the ritual execution of those who brought non-Reaper products to play games with. I understand they save the Warhammer players for last... and make them watch.

Nervous yet? :devil:

In addition to warlord, we have a full slate of RPG events going on the entire show, with a dozen or so different hosts, and a half a dozen systems. There's always a new reaper board game . . .

Thanks for the information, Reaperbryan. I guess I was thinking I might have to entertain myself, but it sounds like that won't be a problem. Lots of cool stuff going on.

I've been to the facility in Denton. I don't live too far away and prefer to see things before I buy them, so being close has been handy.

Any advice on what I should bring? I'm assuming a Warlord book and army, brushes and paint, and some dice. Anything else?

You might want to read this other thread which covers a lot of the same questions . . .

Thanks for the links Inarah, they were mighty helpful. Somic, eh? It's been years since I've had a Frito Pie. That sounds pretty good right now.

The classes sound great. Right now, I can do a wash, but that is about it. I'd love to learn how to do that non metalic metalic thing. And sculpting would be cool too. I can make 25mm unrecognizable blobs out of FIMO and Miliput these days, but I'd like to get better.

I've attended once, in 2008 with a friend of mine. It was very relaxed . . .

Thanks SkeletonTodd. Laid back is good. I've never heard any other con described as relaxing. :)

I'll try to avoid spilling paint, but that's probably just asking for it.

Well, if last year was anything to go on . . .

Hmm, wench auction. Alas . . . I will have no wench to auction. But do that take nine year old boys who never stop talking? :)

These events you describe sound an awful lot like some sort of Sadomasochistic Special Olympics. I'm in.

:)

Shawn

ReaperCon isn't like any other gaming con I've been to. The atmosphere is laid back and relaxing even though your running around overloading on fun. Things get a little more cramped each year as more people find out about ReaperCon, but everyone stays friendly and moving around is easy. The number of artists will blow you away, and their availability to talk to is unbelievable. Even the folks who sit at the painting tables can teach you a lot - you just have to ask.

As for the Reaper gaming events, Bryn is a ltttle behind the times. There will be a Warlord tournament on Saturday. If you can scrape together a 1000 pt army (or find one of the guys who will loan you one) you can play. It's fun even if you don't win. The zombies were beaten off by the Reaper Peeps last year, so they don't want to come back. This year I'm going for something more "out of this world". The other Warlord based game we are scrambling to get ready is called Warlord in Wonderland. There will also be Reich of the Dead games, which are Nazi zombies fighting the American troops. Bryan did get the dungeon crawl part right..........

A dumb question or two:

I have been playing and collecting minis for nigh on 2 1/2 decades, but I have never played much in the way of war games. Will there be games for beginners? I really want to learn Warlord, CAV and RotD.

Also, I love to RP (though I'll not go so far as to say I am any good at it), but I am a major introvert. How difficult is it to get into games? I imagine all the folk are friendly...

Thanks!

there is always someone willing to do a beginner game. I recall in 05 (my first year, has it been that long :blink:) Unglef & I played a game of Warlord, it was dwarves vs Crusadors (I guess it was dispute over who had to pay the beer tab). It was fun & it was relaxing.

RM

Hello All!

I also have a few questions about ReaperCon:

Do I bring my own figures, paints, or brushes?

How long is each workshop?

Is there a gaming schedule available?

Is there a painting contest open to beginners and do I bring a mini I already painted?

I can't wait for my first ReaperCon!

Do I bring my own figures, paints, or brushes?

Brushes, definitely. Figures, well, unless you want to take your chances with a Paint and Take mini or buy a new one off the rack. As far as paints go, you'll have access to the entire Reaper lines of paint, so unless you want to use a different brand or paint in your room, no.

How long is each workshop?

2 hrs.

Is there a painting contest open to beginners and do I bring a mini I already painted?

Yes, and yes, you bring a mini that is already painted (or at least can be finished before the entry deadline. The contest is even open to people who insist on entering tiny squirrels, bunnies and the like (yes, I'm looking at you haldir). :;):

Ron

Brushes, definitely. Figures, well, unless you want to take your chances with a Paint and Take mini or buy a new one off the rack. As far as paints go, you'll have access to the entire Reaper lines of paint, so unless you want to use a different brand or paint in your room, no.

Really, you can use the Reaper paints that are there at the Con? I brought my own paint last time. Can you explain further?

Thanks.

P.S. We actually had a class together in '08, Jeremie's NMM class. I was still very new back then, but his lessons have definitely stayed with me. I wish he was going to be here this year.