Sign in to follow this  
Gus Landt

How do you build an Overlords Army?

There are three primary factors to building any Warlord army: meat, mobility and engagement.

I disregard attack factors because they're pretty comparable across all armies.

Meat: The ability of your army to soak up damage. This is primarily a combination of damage tracks/point cost and DV. It is important to pack as much meat into your army as you can get.

Mobility: The ability to get where you want to go. The obvious way to get that is with models that have a high MOV. A less obvious way - and more effective, I believe, is to have lots of models on the map. Much of the Overlord infantry has poor MOV, but you can compensate for that by taking inexpensive bondslaves.

Engagement: The ability to hit your opponent when & where you want, on terms that you dictate. Ranged attacks (whether weapons, or magic, or whatever) are an important factor in dictating engagement. Dominating the range game is a primary means of engagement control. Dominance of the initiative deck is another important means of dictating engagement. Expendable auxilliary troops are also very useful in dictating engagement.

When I begin building a Warlord army - any Warlord army - the first thing I consider are the soldiers and leaders that I want to have as the backbone of my army. You want the most cost-effective melee combined arms and ranged attacks that you can get. Generally speaking, those come from the cheapest troops on your list. The Overlords have some exceptionally good basic melee soldiers.

Overlord bondslaves make an expendable front line to foil charges, and Overlord spearmen are an excellent buy for the points. Daughters of the whip are good on the front line when you can charge into melee, but you want to avoid having them accept a charge.

Overlord crossbowmen are the only real shooting troops on the Overlord list. They're a bit more competent than most shooters, but have a high point cost. I don't consider them to be a strong point of the Overlords list, but every army needs some ranged attacks.

Leaders: I look first for the cheapest ones. If you want to have a high card count in the initiative deck (who doesn't?), you'll have to have a captain or a warlord - and captains are cheaper. On the Overord list, Andras fills that role nicely. Corvus is a good melee sergeant, and Taletia is a good support/ranged sergeant.

Putting all that together, here is an optimized 1000 point Overlord list that (properly played) will make a good showing against anyone.

Troop 1:

Andras, captain

armor of courage

6 spearmen

2 daughters of the whip

unit standard

Troop 2:

Andras, captain

armor of courage

6 spearmen

2 daughters of the whip

unit standard

(Note: These are the hard-hitting units on the list. I would keep them just behind the auxilliaries, which should be soaking up the opponent's charges when that's unavoidable.)

Troop 3:

Taletia, sergeant (spellcaster)

4 crossbowmen

1 bondslave

(Note: This is the only shooting unit on the list, but it can hit pretty hard. Usually, it would be best used whittling down an opponent's hard-hitting units. Note that Taletia can cast the Barrage spell, which should prompt a knowledgeable opponent to disburse his formations. Feel free to keep your opponent so informed. The bondslave can be used to either screen the crossbowmen (who can fire in ranks) or as an errand boy taking objectives.)

Troop 4:

Taletia, sergeant (spellcaster)

4 spearmen

2 bondslaves

(Note that Taletia gets the unique Overlord spell "chains of binding", which is a very good opening move to a unit charge.)

Troop 5:

Corvus, sergeant

4 spearmen

2 bondslaves

Troop 6:

Corvus

4 spearmen

2 bondslaves

(Note: Troops 5 and 6 are my preferred auxilliary units. They serve well soaking up the opponent's shooting and charges, allowing the heavy units to close unscathed.)

Luckstone (Always take one.)

Faction doctrine: Followers of Khardullis. It's not terribly useful for this list. None of the Overlord faction doctrines are. Really, any of them would work reasonably well. I prefer the Khardullis doctrine for the added mobility of the "incite" spell.

In summary: 6 initiative cards - good, you should dominate the initiative deck. 87 total damage tracks - pretty solid, and above-average DV on the spearmen boosts that, giving the list a high meat factor. 4 shooters and 2 low-grade spellcasters leaves you a little weak in ranged combat, but the magic support that the spellcasters can add to a melee charge is both unusual and powerful, and the expendable auxilliaries give you good control over engagement. Mobility is a bit weak, but the large number of models can compensate by allowing you to control a lot of map space.

-Lionheart.

Not a bad list but I'll do you one better. This list compiles all that you've advised while supplying superior numbers, engagement opportunities, and firepower.

Overlords - 1000 points

Troop 1

Marquise Zora d'Arengo

Luck Stone

Kevis, Vizier

Moraia, Warbride

Balthon, Priest of Khardullis

Bondslave Survivor x 14

Troop 2

Taletia, Disciple of Ashkrypt

Bondslave Survivor x 6

Troop 3

Bondslave Survivor x 6

Troop 4

Bondslave Survivor x 6

Troop 5

Bondslave Survivor x 6

Troop 6

Bondslave Survivor x 6

Troop 7

Bondslave Survivor x 6

Doctrine : Followers of Khardullis

The principle behind this list is sheer weight of numbers while still being able to bring intense firepower to bear. Every troop has atleast one caster therefore every troop has Rush Attack (due to the followers of Khardullis doctrine) and an effective 15" attack range (Zora gives ALL slave models +3" to their charges instead of +2") or 16" for Zora's troop since the Warbride counts as both a musician and a standard. Hence it is her troop (packed to the brim with offensive and utility magic) that will handle anything with fearsome, nauseating, or any other psychological effect. Conversely you could always drop a "Trance of Khardullis" on some Bondslave survivors to grant them mindless and Martyr (Gotta love models immune to psychological effects that get a MAV 7 attack and have a 15-16" threat range).

Taletia is one of only two casters in all of Warlord with access to a 24" spell, Arcane's Overlord specific spell "Chains of Binding" which is a 3" AoE that disables all models affected. This is a great tool for saving return swings against the "meat" of the army. This spell prevents archers from peppering the lightly armored soldiers and even better ONLY affects enemy models so you can drop it on your own troops with no consequence.

If there are any doubts to the power of this list, it's the list I used to completely obliterate the "unbeatable" daisy chain darkspawn list. In said battle Rauthuros was killed by 8 bondslave survivors on turn 1. Give it a try, it's good times. ::):

Helpful tricks: This list has access to 2 Dominate spells as well as Stone Skin. Nothing says lovin' like a model with 3 MA, Frenzy, Assassin, and DR/2. For a nasty surprise sub out Balthon for Strach the Warmage and teleport the Warbride to where you could use her talents best. Do not forget 0 level spells as Freeze and Bolt are the awesome! :devil:

Joshua

Not a bad list but I'll do you one better. This list compiles all that you've advised while supplying superior numbers, engagement opportunities, and firepower.

I've seen that list before and don't doubt that it's generally effective. But it's got the same problem that all one-trick-pony lists have; if you're oponent fields an effective counter to your schtick (bondslave survivor charges, in your case), then you're screwed.

The 24 Overlord spearmen that I've got on my list will match up nicely to your 44 bondslave survivors. After that, it would be a pretty tight contest between what we had left.

I'm willing to bet that my list, properly played, would beat yours in a kill-'em-all 4 games out of 5. Yea verily, it would be messy, and I don't think I would win by much... but barely is barely good enough for me.

Combined arms is the way to go.

-Lionheart.

I've seen that list before and don't doubt that it's generally effective. But it's got the same problem that all one-trick-pony lists have; if you're oponent fields an effective counter to your schtick (bondslave survivor charges, in your case), then you're screwed.

The 24 Overlord spearmen that I've got on my list will match up nicely to your 44 bondslave survivors. After that, it would be a pretty tight contest between what we had left.

I'm willing to bet that my list, properly played, would beat yours in a kill-'em-all 4 games out of 5. Yea verily, it would be messy, and I don't think I would win by much... but barely is barely good enough for me.

Combined arms is the way to go.

-Lionheart.

(Note that Taletia gets the unique Overlord spell "chains of binding", which is a very good opening move to a unit charge.)

Nice spell since they only have 1 attack, they wouldnt be able to attack on their activation.

Oh really? lol. That sounds like a challenge and I'm fairly certain my list will wipe your list off the battlefield 10 out of 10 times when played properly. Wouldn't even be that bloody, at least on my side. :devil:

I'd love to pit my list against yours. Once with me commanding it and once with you commanding it to see how it plays out. Or we could simply do a best two out of three or any myriad of combinations. If you are local then we can "duke it out" on Friday at the Asylum. If not then hopefully you can make it to Reapercon and we can find bloody satisfaction there. ::D:

Joshua

Dont forget thursday nights at the gamers realm as well! if your local. If not this definitly needs to happen at reaper con!

I'd love to pit my list against yours.

I'll take you up on that some time. Reaper HQ is a bit of a drive for me. I pretty much can't do Fridays. Maybe a late Sunday afternoon, or at ReaperCon. I'll have to see if I can scrape together the minis.

-Lionheart.