First-timer to ReaperCon

Dragonwyck

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in attending ReaperCon this year, after learning about it from a friend, but I don't know anything about this "convention". Could somebody give me a breakdown of what it is all about, what the schedule is like, what activities will be at hand, and whether I can purchase a ticket at the door or if it has to been done online? I've been to Comic-Book conventions, Anime conventions, even a Magic-the-Gathering "con" at one point, but I don't know anything about miniatures or what this place entails. What am I in for and how do I prepare?

~ D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ReaperCon will be 4 days of gaming, painting and sculpting classes, and getting a chance to see/chat with elite painters and sculptors as they work.

There will be contests, RPG sessions, tournaments and so on.

Con tickets are available at the door, but class tickets may be scarce by then. Class tickets went on sale last week.

(and I didn't check to see how many were around before I started replying).

I've been twice before and suggest moving Hell and Earth to attend.

IMO, what sets ReaperCon apart from other gaming conventions are two major things:

1. the painting and sculpting classes, taught by some of the most well known names in the hobby. Especially true for sculpting - there aren't many other venues where you can get sculpting advice from the likes of Gene Van Horne, Julie Guthrie and Sandra Garrity - all in the same couple of days.

2. the very laid back, almost family reunion type atmosphere. Seriously, even if you don't know anyone else, ReaperCon is more like attending a huge family reunion made up of all distant kin of Uncle Ed than it is like a more traditional gaming con.

If it's your first time, and you're not familiar with the mini painting hobby, definitely try and make John Bonnet's "How not to suck class" one of your priorities. Another one that looks good for beginners is Kris Marquardt's Army painting class.

And if/when you do decide to take some classes, don't over-schedule yourself. We say it over and over again, but it bears repeating. If you try to take too many classes in a single day/con, you will burn your poor brain out. Leave time to experience all the stuff RCon has to offer (which includes just sitting around and yakking with people for a slot or two).

~v

And one more thing. Avoid the bits area. Its evil!

Don't believe him. He's just trying to keep it less crowded so that it's easier for him to shop for his own bits.

ReaperCon is a wonderful place to decide if you will like the miniatures hobby. There are games, painting events, sculpting stuff, and many other fun things to do. Even if you just hang out and talk to people about the hobby you can't go wrong.

If you show up at the door to buy a ticket, you probably won't get a T-shirt.

No! I'm trying to warn him. I have a lot of trade in metal this time but I will probably still end up spending way too much in there. Beware! Beware!

If a newbie misses out on tickets to the beginner level seminars/workshops, is there still a general area where folks are just painting and she can sit, watch, and learn...maybe even paint along?

Missed this while I was typing my previous post. They hold a couple of tickets for each class to be sold at the door beginning on the morning the class will be held. The upstairs area is where all the teacher hang out, you are free to go up there and chat. They even encourage it.

Last year they had a desk near the paint and take area and had assigned times where one of the painters would just sit and paint to encourage others to watch, ask question, paint along, etc. I'm not sure how successful it was as I never saw anyone talking to the painter. I meant to stop and talk to Derek when I saw him there, but I was distracted by something shiny.

• Reaper User

Yes, there will be a large open painting area this year out in the paint department (and we even just hung new lights...so you'll be able to SEE!!). There is also open painting in the break room. And everyone is so very friendly, you should have no problem at all finding someone to show you a trick or two. You can also, as stated, wander upstairs and talk to one of the painters. We'll all be sitting around in a big circle, painting and sculpting and bantering, and we can easily stop and demo something for you--that's why we're there! ::D:

--Anne ::):

You can also, as stated, wander upstairs and talk to one of the painters. We'll all be sitting around in a big circle, painting and sculpting and bantering, and we can easily stop and demo something for you--that's why we're there! ::D:

--Anne ::):

Just don't mind the smell of sulfur and brimstone, or the odd chanting, or the occasional rust colored stain on the walls or floor or ceiling. They're really a great group :devil:

While orcsoul is mostly kidding, he brings up a good point. You will over hear some odd fragments of conversation at Reapercon, particularly as you ascend the stairs to where the painters and sculptors hang out. I can't recall exactly what it was I overheard Reaperbryan saying to Werner and Anne the year I went, but it was disturbing out of context.

• Reaper User
I can't recall exactly what it was I overheard Reaperbryan saying to Werner and Anne the year I went, but it was disturbing out of context.

Believe me, conversation with ReaperBryan is even more disturbing IN context. :;):

--Anne