Sign in to follow this  
wildbill

Gimmick Army Designs...

I guess the first thing I ought to do is define what I mean by gimmick. Basically, it is severely limiting your options to a select few models that meet a certain criteria. Yes, you could argue that using a certain race subset from a faction is a gimmick, but since most of the time when you do so you get a Faction Ability bonus, I don't consider that a gimmick. I consider that good sense. :poke:

No, what I am talking about is waking up one morning and saying to yourself "Self, I wonder if I can make an army with nothing but models that have Dodge? Or Fearsome?" Or whatever makes you happy. I say that this is for the casual gamer because most of the time an army like this won't win against a "conventional" army design. Oh, sure, you have just as much of an opportunity to win as the next guy, but chances are really high that you will run into a situation where you just don't have the flexibility. Say, you have no archery, no solos and a crappy cleric due to your choice of gimmick. So what? If that is what makes you happy, then go for it!

Every once in a while we will do something crazy like that. Usually though we will have both players create an army with some strict limitation on it so that both sides are on an even playing field. The last thing we thought about doing was making 1,500 point armies where you had to field 4 elites in 4 different troops as well as 4 solos. So, yes, that meant you had a minimum of 8 troops. As most people know, I rarely use elites, and when I do, it is usually not more than 1, much less 4. That made me really go through the Dwarf list and comb through the soldiers and utilize them in ways I hadn't done so in a long long time. It was actually a lot of fun working up that list.

This is a simpler version of a gimmick. The gimmick can be whatever you choose. All models must be on large bases. Everyone must have at least 3 models on a giant base. Whatever. It doesn't matter. I'm just curious if anyone spends anytime creating and playing these type of armies, or if we band of brothers here in Tulsa are about the only ones who do so? We aren't much interested in the tournament scene, and haven't been in years. These sort of army designs keep our creative juices flowing. ::):

So, what say you fellow casual gamer? :lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

Well, it should be no surprise that your playing environment does affect the way you approach it.

Personally, I love the idea of gimmick play. But, you are correct, that the gimmick stuff, while highly fun and entertaining (and challenging for that matter) obviously optimizes the gimmick, but not necessarily helps its chances to win conventional style games. And as such, since I am in the main test bed group in terms of the new expansions, as well as focusing on trying to have everything ready for RCon for the currently available stuff, sadly I do not get to do as much of that as I would like.

If you want to set up a quirky gimmick challenge pick up game with me for during RCon, I fully accept it.

Perfect timing wildbill! I play very little (no tournaments), but have been working on two different Necropolis groups. The main army is 90/10 DHL to Warlord models, with plenty of gaps to fill, yet. These will give me options for diverse troops or specialized, e.g., vampire-heavy . Generally, I am building the bases, color scheme and such around the core Necropolis theme – more urban, city-of-the-dead, if you will.

The casual / gimmick-y army contains much smaller models from Ral Partha, Grenadier, RAFM and others. I accumulated them for a long time, hoping to use them for larger unit-based games like Warhammer, Apocalypse or whatever. Those options didn’t pan out, so I am trying to use them in casual WL games. This is designed to be a more rural/horde-of-undead/spectral theme. I have not played this army, it's just theoretical, and I was just getting ready to post in the Necropolis thread for feedback.

Necropolis - 1499 points, 44 models

Troop 1

Moandain, Arch-Lich

Familiar

Nivar, Wraith

Gauntfield, Scarecrow

Skeletal Swordman x 6

Skeletal Archer x 3

Skeletal Spearman x 3

Troop 2

Baron Kentaur the Everliving

Sir Dauron, Death Knight

Skeletal Swordman x 4

Skeletal Spearman x 3

Skeletal Warrior x 3

Troop 3

Sir Gadrun, Deathrider

Deathrider x 5

Nightspecter

Troop 4

Railor of the Unbodied

Phylactery

Skeletal Archer x 2

Skeletal Swordman x 4

Troop 5

Skeletal Giant

Troop 6

Bone Horror

Troop 7

Kaena, Banshee

The Gimmick (admittedly not crazy-gimmick-y): no vampires, ghasts, ghouls, etc., just focusing on magic, spectral troops, Death Knights and skeletons. Troop 1 has speed-bumps, range and magic. Troop 2 is to tie up more enemy models and deliver some melee punch with Kentaur and Dauron, supported & guarded by skeletons. Troop 3 is the roving cavalry – not terribly strong, but good for flanking and harassing most targets, maybe surprising someone with the slower Nightspectre popping off a spell, generating fear, summoning Kaena (?), etc. Troop 4 with Railor gives another magic option, surrounded by speed bumps & a nagging bit of ranged attack. Troops 5 – 7: The skeletal giant, Kaena and bone horror will give some flexible punch around the table.

Feedback? Love it? Hate it? Doomed to failure? :zombie:::D:

If you want to set up a quirky gimmick challenge pick up game with me for during RCon, I fully accept it.

I will have to get back to you on this one. As of right now, at best I can only come to ReaperCon on that Saturday. I know that sucks, but the wife and I are going on vaction two weeks later so my vacation time is kinda tied up in that. ::): But, if you aren't playing in the tournament, then sure, we can work something out offline. ::):

This is the list I made up for the 4 elite/solo army that I talked about earlier. I posted it some time ago, trying to see if anyone could figure out what my "theme" was. No one tried. ::(: But, that's ok. I'll post it again. ::P:

Abjorn Hofkeg

Gilam, Rune Spelunker

4 Miners

Musician

Standard Bearer

Snorri Oathbreaker

Tohil Steadyhand

Kara Foehunter

4 Piercers

Musician

Annasha Tomebreaker

Durin Pathfinder

Klaus Copperthumb

4 Pathfinders

Musician

Standard Bearer

Griffon

Ursula, Bear Rider

Durthen, Boarmaster

4 Bear Riders

Musician

Standard Bearer

Earth Elemental

Luck Stone

Totals: 1,498 Points, 28 Models, 8 Troops, 8 Init Cards, 2 Spies (I thnk)

There are several models in this army that I have either never used, or haven't used since RC07 or something because I thought they sucked. :devil: So, I was giving them a second chance in an army design of this nature. ::): We haven't had an opportunity to play with these armies yet, but we will. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

Well, i dont think we would have time for a 1500 point game, but imagine that if you wanted to we could do a 1000 point throw down Saturday before or after the tourney. But, either way, just hanging out and chatting about all the different rants that we usually do in emails will be fine with me too... Havent seen you in a while so, will take what I can get.

You will of course, need to have your partner in crime with you as well.