Isabeau LaRoche, Paladin

Anne

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That NMM on the sword....must contain myself so as to not look foolish....ahem! Thats a fairly nice paint job on the sword, very realistic and stuff.../drool!!!

Would you be willing to share your technique and color choices? I can't for the life of me get steel NMM to look decent, I can paint gold all day long, silver and SENMM gives me fits!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! ::):

The colors I was using for her armor, sword and shield were gradients of Reaper's Ashen Blue, Snow Shadow, Ghost White and Pure White. So it comes out a sort of bluish metal without being too gray. I agree painting white metals are challenging. I haven't ever attempted the sky to earth technique. It looks awesome and intimidating. I only used a tiny bit of the darkest blue for the shadow areas. For the sword highlights I tried to make them be the opposite on each side of the blade edge. Like if one side is in shadow the reverse is light. I'm not sure how accurate to reality this method is lighting wise but I've seen other painters use this technique effectively. I think my blending needs some work on it still, but that's the general idea I was shooting for. Skin wise I was using the Reaper rosy triad, but was debating how to darkline her facial features without going overboard. I ended up using a muddy brown mixed with a little black for the lining.

I like the freehand, very nice shield dress/tabard thing shes wearing, very good. I think the gems look very good, but to me they blend in with the sword a little too much. The technique is spot on, but without the contrast I don't think they pop as much as they could. I like the gradation of color on the tabard, but can't tell if the cloak was supposed to be the same colors and sort of start where the tabard leaves off...freehand on the cloak is very well done as well. The red vest stands out a bit and doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the muted colors.

-Z

Wow! I love the freehand on the shield and especially on the robe areas. Thats really fine detail work right there.

The face is also really really great! It has the color of life and looks rosy without being too made up.

I tried to do the same for my minis always look too made up lol!

Love your work ::):

looks lovely, makes me want to go paint, can't really see alot of details in the eyes though. that is about my only thing i can see, and that is more then likely due to camera rez then anything. everything else is absolutely amazing. makes me feel like i need to improve myself, witch is always a good thing.

Love it! Almost makes me want to try NMM again -- that sword is gorgeous. Impressive freehand on the... uh, everywhere. I'll echo Zinzig on the gems: I didn't even notice them until I read that. A brighter red to tie in with the vest might've been more obvious.