Working with the Ocean Blues triad

Rastl

Normally I'd trust my own judgment on colors but for some reason this one is making me tilt my head and go "derr?"

I plan on using the Ocean Blues as the main color. I didn't want to go with the complimentary red-orange and I really didn't want to go with the triad of yellow-orange and red-violet. So the idea of using blue and green to go with the blue-green of the Ocean triad appeals.

Yes, as of right now I'm rather stuck on using the Ocean Blues but that's just because I really like them.

post-1846-12712245445566.jpg

Here's a quick dab of the mid-tone colors of the various triads. Ocean is in the middle and I think that the Brilliant greens will work nicely. Vivid Blue seems to work better than Pure Blues in my opinion. Now's where you get to join in the vote.

Additionally I'm looking at the Cold Greys and black highlighted up to an appropriate color (not exactly sure what one(s) yet) as my neutrals. Possibly even some blue-white.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, hallucinations and other input requested. I'm probably overthinking this one but that's nothing new. Mostly I confine that to the IRC chat.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After some (occasionally frustrating on both sides) discussion with Jen I was able to figure out the colors. Trying to add the blue and green onto these minis would have made a muddle so I'm going with neutrals and the Ocean Blues. She also convinced me to put some ocher-yellow in there.

Poor Jen got a very quick introduction to the differences between doing a single, high-quality paint job and repetitive army figure tabletop painting. I think I gave her migraine.

Thanks everyone!

• Reaper User

Silly Rastl, then you should have noted that it was for an army-type thingee. ::): I'm so used to dealing with single-figure type paintjobs in this forum I was gonna respond the same way Jen did. You're right, it's a different style of painting...probably better to let us know up-front if you are looking for simple. :;): Poor Jen!! :lol:

D'oh! That's what I get for posting later at night. I forget little things like "I'm painting an army and ..". Nothing important, really.

I will be painting singles when I get into the higher point figures and I will spend more time on them. But the rank and file don't get quite as much paint love. Their job is to look good and die.

For the record, I'm using the ivory bone triad for the innermost layers, warm light browns and black (highlighted to blue-green most likely) for the decorative pieces, silver and blue metallics washed with green liner for the armor, and the Ocean Blue triad for accents like the sashes. Overall it should be an effective color scheme and a bit different from the other elves out there.

~ Hangs head in shame ~

Next time I'll be more clear on what the heck I'm painting.

~ Hangs head in shame ~

Next time I'll be more clear on what the heck I'm painting.

Psst.... Rastl.... Now they know it's an army and what color it is, maybe you should tell them what figures you are painting.... :ph34r:

You're funny. I think I'll keep you around!

:lol:

Jen

----------- "She put the lime in the coconut and drink it all down......"