Sign in to follow this  
joe b

Other paints?

This could work....Would the foundation paints transfer too? I just feel like I waste a lot of paint doing the brush dip method for putting drops onto my palette.

Yes, they will look and feel exactly like VMC paints. Thick and gloopy. laugh.gif

Oh I thin the foundation paints down about 1 drop of paint to 3 drops water as it is, but it would be nice to be able to have dropper bottles.

I use primarily RMS for 90% of my painting needs. I do have some favorites from other lines, though. VMC Ivory provides very nice coverage, IMHO. I'll use it alone or mixed with another color for my top highlights on pretty much everything except for metallic objects. Like all VMC in my experience, it does require more water to thin. I like VMC Camo Black Brown as well. I've tried most metallics out there and my favorites for gold/brass are GW paint pots and for steel/silver are Vallejo Air, which is a relative newcomer to the market (at least in my neck of the woods). Reaper's Pro Paint Crimson Red is far and away my favorite dark red for basecoating--it provides excellent coverage, even over black primer.

One thing to keep in mind with all of this advice is that even though these are all acrylic paints they can still be very different from one another and a paint line that does everything right for your style of painting can be a total waste for another painter. I always recommend getting some of the basic colors from a line and trying them out and see how they work for you. Don't invest a ton of money and get a whole line of paints just to find out that they are not the right paints for you.

I would say that most painters don't just stick to a single line of paints anymore, I have Reaper, P3, Vallejo MC and even some GW in my case. Reaper makes up the bulk of my paint followed very closely by Vallejo, P3 and GW come in a distant third and fourth.

i am interested in trying P3 paints...Privateer Press is about 10 min from my workplace, so I might swing over and see if they have a store or something at their office.

I have to say I've never used P3 paints or GW (at least for a long time...), but of VMC, VGC and RMS I prefer Reaper. (And that's not just because I'm a Reaper fan boy... :poke: ) Not that VMC or VGC are bad paints, but all paints have their idiosyncrasies.

VMC covers incredibly well because it has a vinyl base, like animation cel paints. However, this means they separate out a lot - requiring constant, arm-aching shaking (even with agitators.) Because the base is vinyl, it isn't very strong. You can rub the paint off pretty easily as you paint, but it's still a problem when it's dry. (I once dropped a mini painted with VMC, and the paint peeled off down to the metal as her legs bent back, like rubber...) Not the hot ticket for gaming or a lot of handling. Fine for display. But, they blend very well and layer just as well.

VGC is a different base than VMC. Vallejo switched to resin in response to the rubbing off problem for gamers. This makes the paint stick better, as much a nod to gamers as the GW-inspired color range is. It also requires less shaking than VMC. However, it's not as "smooth" a paint as VMC. It doesn't blend or esp. layer as well. It also tends to congeal in the bottle over time (the reds and yellows are esp. bad for this.)

In general I prefer VMC to VGC because I blend and layer more, but the shaking and rubbing off issues drove me nuts.

RMS is a good balance of these two. When I taught my first time at Reapercon Anne let me bring all my Vallejo paints because I'd never used RMS before and I had doubts. I decided to give them a shot and was really pleasantly surprised. They blend and thin well. In addition to using them in my classes, I started painting this mini with them while I was there:

winter1.jpg

They're incredibly smooth, blend very well, and don't rub off... They layer well. They stick very well when dry - so much so I have to scrape them off my ceramic palette if I let them dry on it too long. (Other brands just slough off under hot water.) And I don't have to break my arm mixing them up before each painting session.

However, are they perfect? No. They're not the "one coat" basecoat you get with VMC. It takes a few coats to get a good basecoat. The first color releases were heavy on muted tones (Reaper's added more vivid colors subsequently.) But for me these are small prices to pay for a well-balanced paint.

Take care,

Laszlo

http://hot-lead.org