Forlong the Fat: GW LOTR mini

This is a miniature I am painting up for a local GW painting competition. The theme was a named Hero unit. Looking at it now, I need to deepen the shading on the cloak and redo the highlights a bit, they are a little more defined than the pic, but not much. I am most proud of the metallics. I am using a new technique learned from Tidoco4444 over on CMON and I love the results. The green was done using Olliekickflip's blending method of ultra thin paint.

post-6251-12715553518893_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good, but IMO that horn needs a lot of work. It just looks undefined to me. The metals are good, and the green sash is very well blended. I think that given the large flat nature of the cloak you could definitely try some freehand; after all, it is a competition mini! Also maybe add some orange to his hair? Right now it looks unnatural and dyed. But he's definitely coming along well! Add in a bit of blacklining too and he'll be even better.

The only parts above basecoat are the green sash and the armor...everything else is at basecoat. The cloak had a few shadows, but I didn't like them, I painted the cloak last night, but not sure if I still like it or not...but it IS better than it was. I will see about posting more pics tonight.

The sash is really done well my friend, you should be proud. The metallics come off a bit funny in the pic, just very shiny... but from what I can tell it is really coming along nicely. Now lets get that horn painted up... lol.

Can't wait to see more.

I didn't use a light box, so my camera had to use the flash to show the mini otherwise it was too dark, thats why the metallics are so damn shiny lol....I am working on this guy tonight so I will try and get some pics up after I am done. Thanks for the compliments MK.

More progress, I apologize in advance for the crappy pictures, the shadows aren't shiny on the actual mini. Moat of the problem is I use the flash which sucks for taking pics of minis, but I tried to make a light box and it didnt work at all. Anyway here they are, MK I think the horn looks ok, not shabby for a first time.

post-6251-12717383702023_thumb.jpg

The horn looks good, plenty of visual interest now. You might be able to smooth out the blends with a really light glaze of your midtone -- not enough to pool anywhere on the model, just enough to cover imperceptably and dry right away.

I'd also suggest you do something with the hair -- right now it's a bit too close in colour to the skin, although that could be the lighting. Can't think what to suggest, though -- maybe a thin green wash to take it closer to black.

Thanks...I am finishing up this guy tonight...He by far is not my best work, by far not my worst...kind of middle of the road. I am definately most happy with the sash and the metals. I am working on a Lord of the Rings Dwarf Guard that is coming along rather nicely though and is shaping up to be one of my best so far, as long as I don't hose it up. *keeping fingers crossed*

That horn came out great my friend.

For pics, try taking them outside with a muted background in the daylight, that might help a little with the lighting problem. Only problem with that is that you have to do it at a certain time, and I know we never get mini's painted and ready for pics at just the right time.

Other option, and it worked for me somewhat until I finally broke down and bought a light box, is to use a blue grey background and some desk lamps to each side of the mini. You don't want to overflow the mini with light, but you want to provide just enough to take the pic without the flash.

Anyway, can't wait to see the final product.