Cygnar Ironclad Warjack

blakbuzzrd

Great job on the Warjack! I just picked up a Cygnar and Cryx battlegroup box and am getting ready to assemble/paint the Cygnar first. So, I'd really love to see how your light warjacks and your warcaster turn out. Hope you post them as you finish them.

A couple of comments and questions:

• I love the gears on the base. What did you use for them, or did you make them from scratch?

• Nice detail on the steam gauges! Did you use a pen or paintbrush to make the tick marks?

• Did you assemble and then paint, or paint first and then assemble? Or a mix?
    (The Stryker warcaster looks difficult to paint after assembling, but I'm afraid the hands/sword will be a poor fit and I'll need to fill the gaps with putty and then paint.. I'm still not sure of the best route, since it seems people are split 50/50 about their assemble/paint paint/assemble preferences! If you post your warcaster, I'd like to hear your experiences with painting putting it together.)

Incidentally, I'm also going to learn to play after I paint these. LOL

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job on the Warjack! I just picked up a Cygnar and Cryx battlegroup box and am getting ready to assemble/paint the Cygnar first. So, I'd really love to see how your light warjacks and your warcaster turn out. Hope you post them as you finish them.

A couple of comments and questions:

• I love the gears on the base. What did you use for them, or did you make them from scratch?

• Nice detail on the steam gauges! Did you use a pen or paintbrush to make the tick marks?

• Did you assemble and then paint, or paint first and then assemble? Or a mix?
    (The Stryker warcaster looks difficult to paint after assembling, but I'm afraid the hands/sword will be a poor fit and I'll need to fill the gaps with putty and then paint.. I'm still not sure of the best route, since it seems people are split 50/50 about their assemble/paint paint/assemble preferences! If you post your warcaster, I'd like to hear your experiences with painting putting it together.)

Incidentally, I'm also going to learn to play after I paint these. LOL

Gah! Late to respond I am. I didn't even see a second page. To your questions:

1. I looked long and hard for the right kinds of gears. Bought everything from watch parts on eBay to plastic cogs from American Science and Surplus. Nothing quite clicked for me (no pun intended). I finally found these, which are made for DIY jewelry and scrapbooking: Tim Holtz Sprockets & Gears
  2. I used a paint brush (3/0). Then I gave it all a sepia wash to give it that yellowed glass look.
  3. Assembled and then painted. I have primed, started painting, and then stripped Stryker seven or eight times now. I pinned his hands and then used a gel gap-filling CA glue to stick them in place. If you prime him black, you'll never notice, because that area is metal.

And I haven't played either!