My first minis (C&C welcome)

xapno

Well, after spending way too long reading websites and the reaper forums for tips/techniques and inspiration, I figured I'd never actually learn until I dipped my brush in the paint and started making mistakes! :lol: So, these are my first humanoid miniatures. I wanted a rogue for my D&D character, but I decided to paint these guys as practice first. (my 02045: Torin The Stealthy mini was primed two years ago and is sitting on the shelf. Maybe I'll do him next!)

Anyway, here are the results in the order I painted them. (from November '09 to January '10) Please feel free to comment/criticize! Both are welcome.

Reaper 06023: Anhurian Swordsmen

001.jpg

Ral Partha FA26 Fighter in Chainmail

002.jpg

02762: Tuilin, Female Elf

003.jpg

02512: Tsuko, Male Monk

004.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe those are your first minis, xapno! You did an excellent job on all of them. ::o:

If I was to critique anything, I think you might want to spend a little more time on the females skintones, and the trim on her robes. They both look just a little flat compared to the other work you've done.

Be sure and post any other figures you do, I'd love to see more! ::):

What they said. Great job getting strong contrasts on the figures, and the colour choices are excellent. The only crit I can think of is that the metal on the first two figures is a bit dull compared to the cloth, but you have that problem pretty much licked on Tsuko.

Holee molee. I thought I was a quick learner, but that stuff is beyond the pale. The first one really does it for me -- the blends and highlighting are luminous.

I, like you, spent waaaaaay too much time reading websites. I think it helped me as a beginner. What sites/resources/techniques have been most helpful to you as a beginner?

I'm glad you made the foray into painting man! These are amazing!

The skin tones and highlights of the clothing is superb. And the faces as well! I couldn't even paint the eyes on me first minis lol!

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your future works already :)

Wow! It is hard to believe these are your first. I had painted miniatures in the 80's and then picked up the brush again last year. Since January I have been learning the newer techniques, but I must be a slow learner compared to you. These are simply fantastic! Keep up the great work and keep on posting!