03060 Kierra Darkdreamer, ochre-green monochrome

dks

I'm slated to teach my "Monochrome Paint Schemes" class again at ReaperCon, so I figured I should practice!

This figure had been on my shelf for a while, and although I would have painted her in a subdued color scheme anyway (the raven requested it), I decided to try a different monochrome palette from the sepia tones that I've used on other figures. This one is a green/ochre "monochrome": Brown Liner, Olive Drab, Worn Olive, Faded Khaki, Creamy Ivory, and Linen White. These colors would probably also work well for a bronze non-metallic-metal (NMM) effect.

At every value from darkest to lightest, there is exactly one color (hue & saturation) -- the hue just happens to be greener in the dark values, and yellower in the light values. It looks almost natural because we're used to seeing yellow skin rather than green, but the same principles would have applied if I had used darker yellows/browns and lighter greens.

After the time for cleaning/prep and basing, she took a little under 5 hours to paint.

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-12729182993898_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, really impressive work!! She looks elegant and scary at the same time. I wish I could paint that amazing that fast! You did a really good job of keeping the simple palette exciting with all angles, and creating an atmosphere for her character. I wish I was going to Reapercon too, the class list looks awesome! Ah well, maybe next year. Really awesome work!

Derek, again amazing work. I would like to try this same figure in a violet blues to light purple scheme (that picture just popped in my head). I am going to have save this post for inspiration and maybe later this summer give it a shot.

All the other monochromatic pieces I've seen used one color mixed with varying amounts of black and white only. This is not quite the same. It's more of a "mother color" concept, where all the colors are derived from the same color, albeit with a very limited range. That is purely a technical discussion, however.

The finished work itself is lovely, as always. I particularly like the placement of highlights and shadows and the blending between them on the horns and the skin. Another Derekism is the knowing the perfect detailing to use, and where to put it. Whether a simple edging design, like with this one, or something more complex, the freehand you do is always just right.

Bravo!

Thanks, all.

@Ferox: Exactly right -- value and contrast are all that's left when I can't use differences in hue! :;):

@Anne: Keep up the good work with your own explorations of color for mood and character.

@cookjimjr: Yeah, please post pics if/when you paint your purple version.

@btannehill: I've used sepias for a couple of Old West-type figures: a ReaperCon Sophie and Doc Holliday. But a whole group of sepias, especially in a diorama, would look pretty impressive.

@Mamageek: Your comment about the monochromatic vs. "mother color" scheme is astute, and is something that I talk about in my Monochrome class. You can build a monochrome color scheme from just (near-)white and (near-)black, or from white and black and one other color. You might have a color scheme that involves variations on "green" -- some yellower, some bluer, some more saturated, some more muted, etc. -- but there would be multiple colors that would have the same value, i.e. they would appear identical if you took a black & white photograph of it. On this figure, there are no duplicate values: all the parts of the figure that have 35% lightness are the same dark green, all the 60% lightness are the same greenish yellow, and so on. There's a 1-to-1 relation of value to color.

Also @Mamageek: I'll talk about freehand in a ReaperCon class, too. ::P: Daring has to be balanced with restraint. (The back of the cloak and/or arm-drapery could take some freehand, but I quit while I was ahead. It's mainly a front-view piece anyway.)

@everyone: Mark your calendars for Reapercon 2011. Start feeding the piggybank, reserve the vacation-time now, etc. :;):

Derek

Derek,

Thanks for the post... at some point I'll have to have you help me through one of these at our SFBAMP meeting.

Hmmm, reaper con 2011... my brother just moved to TX, maybe it's time for a visit.

pez :zombie: