Sign in to follow this  
Bearfoot_Adam

River crossing

OK so it's 1/4 movement for river crossing. Up until today I thought that meant crossing at fords. Anywhere else in the river was impassable. The scenario maps descriptions for the reapercon tourney say that the entire river counts as river crossing. Does this mean that it is 1/4 movement to cross any where in the river? If so what is the movement rate for crossing at a ford?

Movement through a river (IE any of the blue terrain marked as River Crossing on the scenario map) is in fact 1/4 movement as you have noted for all scenarios that include a river. The River on Prisoner Exchange is 2 inches wide, so plan accordingly :)

Also for the purpose of the scenarios (Such as Prisoner Exchange), Bridges that span the rivers are crossed at normal movement speed with no elevation change.

note that crossing a 2" river requires not 8" (2"x4) of movement but a whopping 16" (4"x4) of movement (for a standard based model) since the terrain modifier applies as soon as ANY part of the base touches the terrain and it lasts till NO part of the base touches the terrain.

See page 30: "Terrain Modifiers" section, paragraph 3.

EDIT: added reference to rule book

EDIT 2: The above is incorrect and is corrected below. It actually "only" takes 12" of movement to cross the river.

Edited by vejlin

note that crossing a 2" river requires not 8" (2"x4) of movement but a whopping 16" (4"x4) of movement (for a standard based model) since the terrain modifier applies as soon as ANY part of the base touches the terrain and it lasts till NO part of the base touches the terrain.

See page 30: "Terrain Modifiers" section, paragraph 3.

EDIT: added reference to rule book

I calculate it at 12" for a 2" river and a 1" base, as there is 3" of movement with part of your base in the water.

You are right Gus. It's 3" measured yielding 12" of movement expended to cross.

So what would you call the movement rate at a ford? 1/2 move or full. If you want a river to be too deep to cross is that just then inpassable?

Is this question still referencing the tournament scenarios or is this a general question about the Core Rulebook terrain movement modifiers?

Well it all really depends on what you and your opponent decide before the match starts or what a tournament scenario dictates.

I would say (don't have my rulebook handy) that a crossing point of a river would count as light terrain or difficult terrain at worst. MEaning either no movement penalty or 1/2 move. Crossing a river is a 1/4 movement penalty as your units attempt to swim it I think (meaning 1" costs 4"). One could always just deem something water as impassible too either due to strong currents or angry watery denizens like pirhanas or something. :rolleyes:

Joshua

Well it all really depends on what you and your opponent decide before the match starts or what a tournament scenario dictates.

I would say (don't have my rulebook handy) that a crossing point of a river would count as light terrain or difficult terrain at worst. MEaning either no movement penalty or 1/2 move. Crossing a river is a 1/4 movement penalty as your units attempt to swim it I think (meaning 1" costs 4"). One could always just deem something water as impassible too either due to strong currents or angry watery denizens like pirhanas or something. :rolleyes:

Joshua

Agreed. Simply define it at the beginning.