are there any stats for the Skeletal Catapult?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it shouldn't be a problem to cook up stats. The real problem is pointing it to be balanced.

its the "balanced" part that I'm concerned about... I know I can pull numbers outta my butt :)

I'd go about pricing it by looking for something with roughly equivalent effect. A catapult I imagine to have roughly the effect of an AOE/3 direct damage spell that doesn't require LOS. No such model really exists, but it would be massively expensive for the LOS part alone. For an idea consider the Devourer of Mashaf model. It has Innate(Mind Blast) as it's primary appeal and can cast this spell twice during a game. A catapult would be casting it's "spell" for all 5 turns of a standard game, it would be impossible to counterspell (since it's actually not a spell) and it's direct damage potential is higher than that of Mind Blast. So from that alone I'd say a AOE/3 catapult would come in costing no less than three devourers, probably more. Write up some stats and try it out, but I'd definitely start testing at at least 200-250 points.

I'd go about pricing it by looking for something with roughly equivalent effect. A catapult I imagine to have roughly the effect of an AOE/3 direct damage spell that doesn't require LOS.

Another variable you might add is a drift effect in case the catapult misses its intended target area. So there would be a standard to-hit roll. If the attacker fails to make that roll, then he would roll two other dice. One die would indicate the direction of drift from the target area and the second die would indicate how far in that direction. This would make things very interesting once troops are engaged together.

I would also add a reload and movement/setup penalty (and very limited movement). The catapult would take one full turn to load and one full turn to move, and the attacker would be unable to fire during those turns. So at best, a player could only fire every other turn and given the slow movement, it would be fairly easy to overrun and destroy the catapult engineers who wouldn't have very high DVs.

Adding in these rules would help balance the catapult in the game and at the same time add more realism and make for some interesting tactics on both sides.

G

I don't think this would be a difficult card to create actually. Give it 4 Damage Tracks so it's automatically nice and pricey. Give it a modest DV and MD, sad melee abilities, and a few SA's (Construct, Undead, Deflect/1). Wouldn't want it to be an elite or a soldier as that would be too powerful to team it with a troops firepower. So it's a solo.

As for the Ranged stuff. In order to keep it simple I'd Give it Range 20/36, Indirect Shot, Pierce, AoE/3 (3" AoE), Sharpshooter, Unhinderd, and RAV 4 or 5. Would probably cost less than 200 points.

Yeah, that would be pretty nice heheh. :upside:

Joshua

. . . DV and MD, sad melee abilities, and a few SA's (Construct, Undead, Deflect/1). Wouldn't want it to be an elite or a soldier as that would be too powerful to team it with a troops firepower. So it's a solo. . .

Maybe its melee and close combat abilities should be determined by its crew? It should have some sort of **crew . . .

Abandon the idea of packing / unpacking / setup. In a game that might only go 6 turns why field something that can only shoot 3 or 4 times because it was doing something else the other turns? Also, that's annoying to track.

**What if it launched something un-corporeal: wraiths, banshees, or ghosts? The catapult fires, if it misses apply those scatter rules (suggested above) then hit or miss, the 'projectile' will land behind, on, or in the midst of the enemy and proceed to attack them. The ghost (or whatever) fights for your side until destroyed. If the catapult itself is attacked HTH all remaining 'rounds' and any 'projectiles' that have already been 'fired' materialize at the catapult to defend it.

It and its projectiles/crew should be a solo.