Reaper HQ logistics questions

Lastman

What's the airport nearest Denton?

Would I need to rent a car or would a cab ride be cheap?

In years past I recall seeing hotel info-- Is there one near Reaper HQ or would I need to rent a car?

I live in a city where everything is in walking distance, but my impression of Texas is that this is not the case.

I saw a few threads about the con itself, but I will keep looking for one about logistics.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, the drive between the DFW airport and Denton is quite a distance - definitely not one I'd want to pay cab rates for, though a shuttle might be reasonable. When I was there in 07, the hotels/restaurants/etc were quite a distance from Reaper HQ - so a car is needed.

Me, personally, I prefer to have a car at my disposal, so I would go with a rental. But I also recall lots of people sharing rides, etc - I'm sure you can probably find a few other attendees to get rides from, share costs, etc. I'd offer up if I was going this year, so you'll have to ask around.

Ride to/from DFW is in the ballpark of 30min+ depending on traffic, love field is marginally further.

Depending upon where you stay, the best western (where most people stay) is about a 5 mile drive from Reaper, only one lane in each direction the whole way and it's a pretty busy road at times, so can take up to 10 minutes to get there during bad traffic (rare, but it happens, wrecks, etc)

There is nothing in the immediate vicinity of reaper, the closest food is back at the hotel, or a few miles in the opposite direction of the con site. Reaper has sonic catering at all times at the con, they keep the food pretty fresh.

Things within (reasonable*) walking distance of the hotel:

A liquor store, a gas station, a chinese delivery place (give a lot of food for the price)

Caveat with reasonable... it's going to be hot... during the day don't be surprised if temperatures dip into the triple digits, and stay that way until well after sun down. Granted I'm about a 5 or so hour drive south of the DFW area, we've been regularly getting mid-upper 90s temperatures for the last couple weeks during the day. And it's only going to get hotter.

Chinese delivery? FOR SHAME!!!! LOL

Okay, folks, let me be your Texas Tour Guide.

Denton, TX is actually a pretty cool town. It's kinda like Austin-lite. (For those not familliar, Austin is a BIG college party town)

Denton has two universities within its city limits, The University of North Texas (The Mean Green, and my wife's alma mater) and Texas Women's University (don't know the mascot, but a drive down Bell St. is good for...um....sight seeing)

Enough of that, you want logistics and things to do...

Two major airports into Dallas: Love Field, and DFW International. Love Field is the original airport into Dallas. It's smaller, and honestly, I like flying from there more than DFW because it's smaller. However for ReaperCon folks, Love Field is WAY out the way. You guys will want DFW.

YES, you will need a rental car. One thing about Texas is that we build OUT, and very rarely build UP. So things are sprawled all over the place. From DFW you're going to make your way north to Denton. It's about 30-45 minutes with Traffic.

There are a number of places to stay in Denton, so don't fret over that too much.

Things to do in Denton, aside from ReaperCon goodness:

Texans love to eat, and there are some good places in Denton to get your grub on. (Better than Chinese take-out)

Frilly's: Two locations in Denton - Cajun (Louisiana Food)

Cracker Barrel: On Interstate 35 at the Hwy 380/University St exit. Country Fried Cooking. AWESOME breakfast.

California Sushi: I35 and Loop 288. It's sushi and not bad. Try the mini lobster sushi. Yum.

Ruby's Diner on the Square: Home Cooking.

A host of the usual places like Chili's, Red Lobster, On the Border, etc. Oh Texas Roadhouse! You might have to wait a minute for a table, but good steaks and badassed rolls of cinnamon butter goodness.

The town square has a lot of knick-knack shops and a really cool place for ice cream. It's an old-time ice cream parlor called Beth Marie's.

There is a mall at 35 and the Loop, but it's not that special.

There is an area called Fry St. that is the local college bar scene hangout. Contained within is a Jimmy Johns Subs. Good Sub sandwiches. Denton is also a music town. UNT has a bigtime music program, so many local bars are hosting bands.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. Between work and hosting a Boy Scout fishing trip, I'll only be around ReaperCon Sunday at best, but I'd be glad to help with questions.

Welcome to Texas, friends.

My take: ::):

A car isn't strictly necessary if you can get rides to the Best Western and rides from the Best Western to Reaper and back. The walk to/from Reaper should be doable (with enough time), but I don't recommend it since there isn't a sidewalk or much of a shoulder. You'll be walking through tall grass next to a road with 1 lane in either direction and people zooming by at 50 mph most of the way if you walk.

Within a half mile of the hotel there's an Albertson's, a Super Walmart, and a host of fast food places. Easy walking distance, but a touch exciting due to traffic.

If you are willing to take shuttle services, there may be something like Super Shuttle which will run you from DFW to the Best Western (and back). From there, you should be able to catch a ride to/from Reaper if you're the friendly type and have a bit of patience. ReaperCon goers should be easy to spot.

All of that said, having a car will make life easier.

Ron

. . . I live in a city where everything is in walking distance, but my impression of Texas is that this is not the case . . .

Yeah, pretty much.

:poke: If you were thirty feet tall and you had been built by KODA Works . . . DFW airport is in walking distance.

But, ordinary mortals will want a car.

One further logistical consideration: The parking spots around Reaper HQ are not numerous, so if even with the rental available some ride-sharing could be a good thing.

Things within (reasonable*) walking distance of the hotel:

A liquor store, a gas station, a chinese delivery place (give a lot of food for the price)

Orcsoul forget one of the most important stores near the BW, the doughnut shop. How could someone forget that??????

If you check around ahead of time, you can probably find someone who will share a ride with you to and from the airport. Getting rides to and from the hotel aren't that hard if you are flexible. If you want to sight see or have a rigid schedule to follow, get yourself a car.

Nice thing thou, you can usually find other Con-goers that will give you rides to & from ReaperHQ. I know I've been a free-loader everytime I've came to the Con (this will be my 5th one) & for that I'm very thankful for!! Usually my favorite part of the Con, getting to know everyone during the ride. (Whoops didn't see Cb's post before I poste mine)

BTW, cab to & from the Airport is around 50 bucks or so. I've done a couple times. While that is $$$ hit I'd rather not take, about the only way I can get home, as I have to leave at the crack of dawn on monday morning after the Con for my flight home.

One further logistical consideration: The parking spots around Reaper HQ are not numerous, so if even with the rental available some ride-sharing could be a good thing.

Unless, you get there early enough :lol:

Denton resident here.

Downtown Denton, on the square, can give you plenty to do in the evenings. Coffee houses, interesting restaurants, music. You could easily stay in Denton, drive to Reaper, and have fun in the evenings here.

I35 traffic is the pits, but chances are you won't be driving in it during rush hour.

Denton may have some wonderful things to do but I know I'm there for Reaper. I don't make time to get out and check out what else there is to do because I've got plenty of fun right at the con.

Is a car necessary? Not if you can get rides from the people who do have cars. Airport pickups and deliveries can be arranged if you ask ahead of time.

I have a car and I ferry people back and forth from the hotel and occasionally out to get lunch that isn't Sonic. (Nothing against Sonic but a solid diet is a bit much.)

So I'd say try to make an airport ride arrangement, find out if there's other folks staying at your hotel, and ask for rides. I've gotten to know some great people by giving them rides.