Painting Contest at ReaperCon question

pennyaspen

Hello,

Will the painting contest be split by painter's experience level? This will be my first time to ReaperCon, and I have only been painting since August 2009. I plan to enter the contest but want to know what I'm up against.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Yep! We moved to the "Open System" last year. This is a judging system used largely in historical convention circles and at the miniatures World Expo. What it means is that:

1) You can enter any number of models in each of three categories

2) The judges select the one model in each category you entered that they think gives you the chance to score the highest--in other words, your best model as they see it

3) Your model is judged against a standard of competition, rather than against other models. It is scored on a point scale of 0 through 4 by each of five judges. The highest and lowest of the five scores are dropped and the other three are averaged. That gives you where you place in the award scale!

Here's an example:

You enter four models in the Painters category, two models in Open, and zero in Ordnance.

The judges go through and choose one model from your four Painters entries. They think that model is your best work. That is the only model of yours in that category that is judged.

The judges go through and choose one model from your two Open entries that they think is stronger. That model is judged; the other is not.

Your Painters model is up for judging. Five judges score; you get a 4, 3, 3, 2, 1. The 4 and the 1 are dropped. You are left with 3, 3, 2. Added together, those are a score of eight. They average to a 2.66. The score is rounded--you score a 3! That equals a Silver Medal!

Your Open Model is up for judging. Your sculpting and basing are not as strong as your painting, so you score a 3, 2, 2, 2, 1. The 3 and 1 are dropped, leaving you with a 2, 2, 2. Average is two; you score a Bronze Medal with your Open Entry. ::):

In the Open System, if you deserve a medal, you get one--even if that means we award fifteen Gold Medals! This gives you a better idea of how your skills scale overall. If we just awarded first, second, and third place, you wouldn't know at all how you did unless you got one of those three awards. The Open System gives the opportunity for more feedback. ::):

The only place where the "first, second, third" place is in effect is if you paint a Reaper model for your entry. After the medals, the Reaper models are judged separately and the top three in each category can win the coveted Sophie trophy!

In addition, there are three Best In Show awards that win cash prizes: Best In Show (the top award), and then Reaper Best In Show and Non-Reaper Best In Show. ::):

So...there's lots of prizes to be won by all!!!

--Anne ::D:

I have a question about which models are judged. I understand the medal part, but suppose I enter two (for sake of simplicity) minis in a category. One of them is a Reaper mini the othr is not. They are both wonderfully painted, everyone oohs and aahs over them ( this is an example, ok) the judges decide the not-Reaper-mini is better and judge it accordingly. When it is time to judge for the best Reaper mini, do the judges judge my Reaper mini or, since it was not my best mini, is it out of the judging?

The judges will go back and look at all the Reaper minis for that part of the contest. It is judged separately from the open judging since the judging is actually different, looking for the very best of the Reaper minis is like the contest used to be.

The Awards presentation will be Saturday night about 7pm, depending on if/when we can drag Anne out of hiding.

Sorry for all the newb questions, but this made me think of something. Will you know before the ceremony if you won a medal, or is it only announced at the ceremony? Thanks

The only one who knows the winners is the person that actually scored the results. Not even the judges will know, so you should definitely attend the Saturday night announcement if you can.

Edited by Heisler

The only one who knows the winners is the person that actually scored the results. Not even the judges will know, so you should definitely attend the Saturday night announcement if you can.

I plan on it. But the anticipation is already killing me and I haven't even entered yet. :poke:

• Reaper User

Lady Argent: No un-asked for feedback will be given. ::): However, our judges are friendly and eloquent and if you ask us what we saw in your model afterward we are always glad to oblige. I, particularly, will not have much to do after my class on Sunday morning except to help people who are picking up their models...so if you'd like a critique, feel free to approach. ::): I will also introduce the judges at the Awards Ceremony so that everyone knows who to approach for feedback. :;):

Flit: Heisler is exactly correct, your Reaper model will still be considered for the Reaper awards even if the judges thought your other mini would score you higher in the medals. ::):

Chip: You do not need to be present for the awards ceremony, though your models must be entered in person on Thursday or Friday. ::): When you come to pick up your model on Sunday, we will have any awards you won waiting for you at the pick-up table. ::D:

Did I answer everything?

--Anne ::):

I actually will not be entering any minis this year. I didn't get myself together enough to actually finish anything. :-(

But I will be bringing my Projects In Progress to work on for next year. :-)