Sign in to follow this  
Sir Drake

ReaperCon Warlord Tournament

Just wanted to thank you guys for running it. I had a fantastic time. Sorry I had to run off so fast when it was over.

Great games, Good scenarios, Good times. About the only thing I was a bit disappointed with was the amount of bare metal on the table. If points were given for at least 3 colors you would see a lot more painted troops. And I always enjoy playing battles more when the armies are painted, even if they are painted poorly.

Still had a great time. Oh yea, who won?

Ben

Frank won with a Crusaders list.

And just a cool side note, We had all 10 factions being played in this years tournament, I think that says a lot about the game.

It was a pleasure to meet you Ben, and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I wasn't able to post the results yesterday because I was short one army list, but now that I've got it, here we go:

ReaperCon Warlord Championship Tournament

We had 24 participants this year which was a very welcome surprise, in fact many of the local players decided to sit out and help officiate since we simply could not find any more terrain/tables to setup before the event was scheduled to begin. Thanks to Gus Landt, Doug Bush, Jason Pape, and Vince Landt for sitting out the game and helping me keep the event running smoothly. Most of all, thank you to all of the players who showed up excited and ready to play. Of the 24 players, I will post the top 10 players and their army lists for everyone to see. If anyone wants to know any other players rank, you can send me a PM and I would be happy to help.

1) Frank Baker - 51 Total Scenario Points - Crusaders

2) Vince Hendriks - 50 Total Scenario Points - Mercs

3) Richard Singleton - 46 Total Scenario Points - Mercs

4) Daren Puryeur - 35 Total Scenario Points - Elves

5) Travis Emeret - 33 Total Scenario Points - Reptus

6) Kenneth Warren - 29 Total Scenario Points - Overlords

7) Ben Burns - 28 Total Scenario Points - Crusaders

8) Erik Haberkemp - 27 Total Scenario Points (Tie Break Winner 3 Match Wins) - Overlords

9) Brian Robinette - 27 Total Scenario Points (Tie Break Runner Up 2 Match Wins/1 Match Tie) - Elves

10) Dan Richardson - 27 Total Scenario Points (Tie Break 3rd Place 2 Match Wins/1 Match Loss) - Necropolis

(Sorry if I misspelled anyone's names, these were what I had on the sign-up sheet)

Congratulations to all our players and to Frank Baker our new Warlord 2010 Champion!

Here are the army lists for the top 10 players:

1) Franklin Baker: Crusaders - 996 points

Troop 1

Sister Majeda, Battle Nun

Valandil, Archmage

Familiar

Garr, War Dog

War Dog x 4

Luck Stone

Troop 2

Sir Danel, Lion's Lancer

Isarah, Cleric of Shadarzaddi

Sir Damon the Impetuous

Lion's Lancer x 3

Troop 3

Hound of Judgment

Troop 4

Uriel, Guardian Angel

2) Vince Hendricks - Mercs - 999 points

Troop 1

Boris Mingla

Assassin's Blade

Armor of Courage

Leisynn, Wizard of Chaos

Olivia, Priestess of Shadarzaddi

Mercenary Axeman x 7

Mercenary Spearman x 3

Luck Stone

Musician

Totem of Battle

Troop 2

Artemis

Mercenary Axeman x 4

Mercenary Spearman

Troop 3

Artemis

Mercenary Axeman x 4

Mercenary Spearman

Troop 4

Artemis

Mercenary Axeman x 4

Mercenary Spearman

Troop 5

Dingo Appledimple

Mercenary Axeman x 2

Mercenary Spearman

Mercenary Crossbowman x 2

3) Richard Singleton Mercs - 999 points

Troop 1

Mack Hardwick

Book of Tactics

Armor of Courage

Darkthrall Cultist x 6

Mercenary Spearman x 7

Standard

Luck Stone

Troop 2

Hedasaa, Cultist Leader

Armor of Courage

Olivia, Priestess of Shadarzaddi

Darkthrall Cultist x 5

Mercenary Spearman x 6

Standard

Troop 3

Hedasaa, Cultist Leader

Darkthrall Cultist x 2

Mercenary Spearman x 4

Troop 4

Artemis

Mercenary Crossbowman x 3

Troop 5

Artemis

Troop 6

Artemis

4) Daren Puryeur - Elves - 997 points

Troop 1

Larnach the Grey

Caerwynn

Peruhain, Elven Monk

Vale Swordsman x 9

Luck Stone

Troop 2

Chiral, Centaur

Centaur Warrior x 6

Troop 3

Daereth, Royal Guardsman

Royal Blademaster x 5

5) Travis Emeret - Reptus - 1000 points

Troop 1

Broodmaster, Dragon Rider

Dragon Claw

Troll Hide

T'Kay, Reptus Cleric

Familiar

Brood of Payanak x 3

Raptor x 4

Luck Stone

Troop 2

Gam-Nan, Gaan-Hor Elder

Gaan-Hor Warrior x 4

Troop 3

Audt

Magic Weapon

Reptus Longstriker x 3

Musician

Troop 4

Crymorian Warrior

Magic Ranged Weapon

6) Kenneth Warren - Overlords - 1000 points

Troop 1

General Matisse

Moraia, Warbride

Ranthe, Evangelist of Khardullis

Overlord Warrior x 5

Overlord Spearman x 4

Luck Stone

Troop 2

Vincente, Chevalier

Onyx Chevalier x 2

Troop 3

Iks, Wight Taskmaster

Overlord Crossbowman x 4

Troop 4

Onyx Golem

7) Ben Burns - Crusaders - 1000 points

Troop 1

Ironraven, Templar

Armor of Courage

Luck Stone

Saramonde, Chronicler

Templar Knight x 3

Templar Ironspine x 3

Hospitalier

Troop 2

Sir Brannor, Justicar

Finari, Justicar

Templar Knight x 3

Templar Ironspine x 2

Hospitalier

Troop 3

Herne, Light Lancer

Armor of Courage

Isarah, Cleric of Shadarzaddi

Ivy Crown Light Lancer x 3

Ivy Crown Archer x 3

Musician

Troop 4

Hound of Judgment

Troop 5

Hound of Judgment

8) Erik Haberkemp - Overlords - 999 points

Troop 1

Ashkrypt, Lichlord of Craclaw

Arik Gix, Inquisitor

Overlord Warrior x 4

Overlord Spearman x 5

Troop 2

Merack of the Onyx Phalanx

Onyx Phalanx x 2

Overlord Crossbowman x 3

Troop 3

Corvus

Overlord Warrior x 3

Overlord Spearman x 3

Troop 4

Onyx Golem

9) Brian Robinette - Elves - 1000 points

Troop 1

Argyrian, Silver Dragon

Caerwynn

Lysette

Familiar

Royal Guardsman x 2

Vale Archer

Musician

Centaur Warrior

Troop 2

Raynor, Royal Blademaster

Niriodel

Royal Guardsman

Vale Warrior

Vale Swordsman

Vale Archer

Hunting Cat

Troop 3

Mossbeard the Treeman

Troop 4

Giant Eagle

10) Dan Richardson - Necropolis - 1000 points

Troop 1

Moandain, Arch-Lich

Bat Swarm x 2

Crypt Bat x 5

Troop 2

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Sir Osric, Crimson Knight

Bat Swarm

Crimson Knight

Wraith Harvester

Troop 3

Gargoyle x 3

Troop 4

Bone Horror

I think the only way Reaper could require any form of paint requirement is if they actually post the scenarios a decent amount of time ahead of the tourney. Only a couple weeks before is not sufficient for players to be expected to build lists and have them painted.

I think the only way Reaper could require any form of paint requirement is if they actually post the scenarios a decent amount of time ahead of the tourney. Only a couple weeks before is not sufficient for players to be expected to build lists and have them painted.

Maybe, but considering we have a full year now to work on painting it's possible to get 1000pts painted (which is 20-25, maybe 30 models) before next year as well as a few auxillary models that cater to certain situations. I kind of like the idea of withholding the scenarios until the last week or 2 as it makes the scenario part of the challenge too (as opposed to it being out for 3+ weeks and everyone running them so much that "best army/lists" are generated).

It'd be kinda cool to see a "Best Painted Army" or a "Best Conversion" type awards.

Just wanted to thank you guys for running it. I had a fantastic time. Sorry I had to run off so fast when it was over.

Tourney was awesome cool.

About the only thing I was a bit disappointed with was the amount of bare metal on the table. If points were given for at least 3 colors you would see a lot more painted troops. And I always enjoy playing battles more when the armies are painted, even if they are painted poorly.

If a 3-color paint rule goes into place, I'll prime my army in bright green and spatter it with yellow and pink.

The painting room was less than 20 paces away. Go there if you want to see pretty stuff. You're more likely to find me at the other end of the building, in the metal exchange.

-Lionheart.

I had a great time at the con this weekend, and it was very cool to get to play Warlord against 3 people I've never faced before. A few thank-yous:

Thanks to Gus & Wedge for putting the tournament together.

Thanks to all the local players that gave up spots so that the people who travelled long distances to come play were able to do so.

Thanks to all the guys that hustled to help set up 3 more tables of terrain so that 24 people were able to play instead of 18.

Thanks to Reaper for the generous prizes (the tournament awarded twice as much in prizes as was paid in.

And finally, a special thanks to my 3 opponents; it was a pleasure to share the field of battle with you.

Without letting this thread head too much off-track on talking about any sort of a 3-color rule, I can say this. All instituting any sort of painting requirements for tournament armies would do for me is assure that I'd likely end up proxying one of my couple painted factions for whatever I decide to play for an event. It won't make me get another faction painted (that happens at its own pace). I *really* love seeing painted armies on the table, but I also think that it should never be a requirement for event participation.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Just to chime in with an "official" standpoint - I could absolutely see doing some type of 'best painted army' award. I won't ever require painted armies in my tournaments though. Too many people are there just for the game, not for the painting.

Hopefully our Legendary Encounters line grows to the point that people can just field their armies in pre-painted plastic. ::):

I agree with Gus on this one. The tournament should be about having fun playing the game for everyone regardless of the paint status of the army. I know this is a sticky point at some cons, but IMHO ReaperCon should be a celebration of the game & what Reaper has done for the miniature hobby. Separate recognition for painted armies or armies created around a theme would be nice.

...Separate recognition for painted armies or armies created around a theme would be nice...

Is there a germ of an idea here for next year's RCon paint contest? Four categories?

Painters — Open — Ordnance — Battalions

(Battalions = a group of models that could fight together under Warlord or some other rules set.)

Boy, you guys can stretch things. I didn't say anything about requiring anyone to paint anything.

I suggested a few points, even 5 or 10 for a fully painted army would go a long ways towards people actually painting them.

When I faced my 3rd straight army of nothing but bright metal, it got old. Plus it is so much harder to tell what is what when your looking at a hunk of unpainted metal. And yea Richard you talk big, but I know you'd paint them. ;)

I didn't say I wanted to see pretty models. But come on, 2 armies I faced were about 1/3 to 1/2 painted, and one was just straight metal out of the packets.

I don't agree with victory points or any other kind of game points for painted armies. Ever. Let's face it - the minis are markers. While it's nice to face a painted army an unpainted one will kick your butt just as easily.

I had a great time as usual. I won my first two games 12-6 and 14-6 and got smoked by Richard in the 3rd game 11-1. Funny thing, though, the last game was by far the funnest.

Great job by Gus and Wedge. It was unfortunate that many local guys had to sit out, though. It is good that I was not asked to opt out; I might not have been as gracious as Doug, Aaron, Josh & Jason.

I have always been fairly vocal about guys fielding unpainted armies, as the locals well know. That said, I would rather play against unpainted armies than not play at all. Still, I played against one opponent that had a few figures represented by empty bases. Still had fun, but come on guys.

I brought along my Necropolis army from last year again this year just because I had nothing else painted (sold my Highland Crusaders and Resurrected Crusaders and Razig were not allowed). I would have preferred to play my Reptus but they are unfinished.

Speaking of proxied models, my Razig are almost all proxied as the Marauding Marines of Mauritius complete with Chronoscope British Marines, Dodo birds, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson manning a Flintloque Cannon, a Zulu, Ratmen, Dire Rats, Rat Swarms, Giant Ratman, Sea Creatures, an African holding an elephant tusk, Arab Merchant, Afghan Bomber, and so on. So I guess it is good that they were not allowed, huh? Actually, the local guys seem to like my proxied armies and have never once complained about them causing any confusion, not to my face, anyway.

Back to the tourney: I was lucky to have drawn as opponents two of the best, Defending Champion Daren and Richard. I missed playing Vince this year. I was hoping for a rematch. Maybe next year.

One other thing that does not apply to this thread but I will include here anyway. I did not think it was fair to turn in a year's worth of swag, 146 blister proofs of purchase (not a inconsiderable amount to my thinking) for 730 Reaperbucks then have my auction purchasing power diminished by folks being awarded thousands of Reaperbucks for killing a monster in a RPG. Just seemed a bit unbalanced (unfair).

I'm done.