Sign in to follow this  
nytflyr

My ReaperCon Report

I posted my report on my blog, but figured I could post it here as well :)

ReaperCon 2010 Report

This year we decided to go towards ReaperCon a day earlier. We arrived in Dallas late Wednesday morning, got unpacked and then took a trip out to the Dallas Zoo… nice zoo, but the cost is too high. After a couple of hours under the hot Dallas sun, we were off to the Reaper headquarters for some Hickory Creek BBQ Tredway's BBQ (Great stuff, Thanks!)

The following morning we headed over to ReaperCon and had some home made pancakes before the con started (Again, great stuff, Thanks!). Once the doors opened we took our 211 ounces of scrap metal to trade to the back and spent most of the day in the bits bin. (Next year there should be a lot less trade bait, as I cleaned out most of the minis I had no desire to paint)

The Classes were very informative, with all of the instructors for the classes we took handing out notes for the class. We took classes on Army Painting by Kris Marquardt (I really could have used this info a couple of armies ago), Non Metallic Metals by Laszlo Jakusovszky, Faces & Flesh by Rhonda Bender, and Blending by Angela Imrie (who threatened to hurt me). Talked a bit with Jason Wiebe about upcoming projects and got to see his new sabertooth tiger green (I can’t wait!)

Overall I think the con was an improvement over last year, with two notable exceptions, the first being issues with the AC with some parts of the building were too warm, and others were too cold. The other was the absence of the “paint and take”… not so much that it was missing, but that I didn’t bring any minis with me to paint on the premises as I was going to rely on the ones that would have been available if there would have been such an event. One other minor disappointment was that there wasn't a Sophie says this year (we had been practicing our singing!)

The AC seemed to be an issue in the sculptors/painters area upstairs and then right as you walk into the "lobby" area of Reaper. I feel bad for the guys upstairs though. Between the AC not being strong enough and the lamps they had around it is very hot up there.

I wonder if next year there could be a Pathfinder game event? We had the 1 hour Dragon Kill with the D&D 4e rules run by the Homlet guys but I'd like to see some sort of pathfinder encounter for those of us still in love with the D&D v3.5PF rules. Plus with Reaper turning out the Pathfinder minis . . . makes sense, n'est pas?

For those who are interested: have begun posting pics on the Bedlam Blog, with link below. May be a while before I get 'em ALL up, though.

The AC seemed to be an issue in the sculptors/painters area upstairs and then right as you walk into the "lobby" area of Reaper. I feel bad for the guys upstairs though. Between the AC not being strong enough and the lamps they had around it is very hot up there.

I wonder if next year there could be a Pathfinder game event? We had the 1 hour Dragon Kill with the D&D 4e rules run by the Homlet guys but I'd like to see some sort of pathfinder encounter for those of us still in love with the D&D v3.5PF rules. Plus with Reaper turning out the Pathfinder minis . . . makes sense, n'est pas?

Sean K. Reynolds was originally scheduled to have some pathfinder games, but had a last-minute cancellation. He offers apologies, and we will try next year to represent more game systems.

Well..as far as event critiques, my only real one is regarding a lack of space for parking, sitting, painting and soforth. Sadly these are all only problems because the event is so successful, and the only real solution out there is to have it somewhere besides Reaper HQ....and then it just wouldn't be ReaperCon as we know it...and therefore not much of a solution.

Regarding the lack of free P&T minis, perhaps next year it might be good to have a priming box or at least a good dedicated area for priming so that people who buy minis at the event can prime and paint them at the event. Spraying primer outside around parked cars is probably not the best plan. For that matter, the Asylum probably ought to have a few more cans of primer on sale for folks who fly in to the event.

Speaking on behalf of the WL tournament players, it did seem a bit crowded where the tournament was held. I can't offer up much of a solution, but maybe somebody else might be able to.

A minor critique also would be the PA system. It works fine if you're in the main part of the factory, but if you're upstairs or in the Asylum, you miss important announcements. Sometimes a person came through and repeated announcements, but not always nor everywhere. There's some room for improvement there, but it's relatively minor.

Another thing I was wondering about, since it was a departure from how it was done in the past. Why is it that all activities EXCEPT all the RPG events earned the participants ReaperBucks? Was this an oversight?

But I'll tell y'all what you DID do right.

The name-badges with forum handle as well as proper name...GREAT idea that has been long overdue.

Pancake breakfast...WIN!

More room in the RPG room....MUCH better!

Reaper tote bags at registration... WHOOHOO!

Shared pass wtih Texacon....while perhaps in part responsible for the full parking lot..STILL a great idea. Maybe next year we'll visit both.

Alice in Reaperland and Kill Bryan games...LOTS OF FUN!

----

Well..that's all I've got for now. If I think of other stuff, I'll post it up too.

Regarding the lack of free P&T minis, perhaps next year it might be good to have a priming box or at least a good dedicated area for priming so that people who buy minis at the event can prime and paint them at the event. Spraying primer outside around parked cars is probably not the best plan. For that matter, the Asylum probably ought to have a few more cans of primer on sale for folks who fly in to the event.

I found out Saturday that there was a paint booth set up behind the plastic curtain opposite of Sonic

Another thing I was wondering about, since it was a departure from how it was done in the past. Why is it that all activities EXCEPT all the RPG events earned the participants ReaperBucks? Was this an oversight?

The Warlord tournament did not award Reaperbucks either, fwiw.

~v

RPG Events were supposed to award ReaperBucks. I remembered to give the D20 Radio hosts their bucks to pass out, but not the other hosts.

Next year, we will give it another shot.

Ah I see. I did not know.

We also had the D20 Radio guys running Star Wars Saga Edition with converted Chronoscope minis and they handed out ReaperBucks.

GM Chris, you rock. Best I can tell he ran 3 4hr sessions back to back (I guess with a 1hr break) and was still bringing his "A" game

at 11pm on Saturday.

I was shocked to hear how many Bucks were being handed out on the quick Crawls vs what the RPGs were paying (I think I got a total

of $60 RB for the 4 hr RPG (with roleplaying bonuses). It seemed much more reasonable than the thousands being handed out for a 1 hr session.

I was shocked when Shak said there were no RB for Warlord. Maybe GM Chris was supposed to shower us with them (seemed like he had a ton more)

but like I said, I thought what he awarded was very acceptable.

I was shocked to hear how many Bucks were being handed out on the quick Crawls vs what the RPGs were paying (I think I got a total

of $60 RB for the 4 hr RPG (with roleplaying bonuses). It seemed much more reasonable than the thousands being handed out for a 1 hr session.

I was shocked when Shak said there were no RB for Warlord. Maybe GM Chris was supposed to shower us with them (seemed like he had a ton more)

but like I said, I thought what he awarded was very acceptable.

The Fast Crawl was kind of funny. For a regular game, win or lose, you got 10 Reaper bucks for playing. Bryan told me that was average for an hour-long session. There was a way to earn up to 20, but nobody did because we under-estimated how long the encounters would take. We'll come up with something better for next year. I like the way the Warlord table was doing a thing where your character won treasure, and you got to keep what you won. We'll probably try to think of something along those lines.

The humongous bounty on Tim's godawful dragon was a late addition that Bryan offered. It wasn't actually what you got for playing, and as far as I know, only two teams scored the big bounty all weekend (one on Saturday, another on Sunday). We also learned some things about how to make that really work.

We all had a great time. Some of us are still recovering.

I, for one, bought way too many minis.

DM David

Radio Free Hommlet

THERE WAS a Pathfinder rpg game, it was held Friday afternoon & we semi-finished the module on Saturday morning. :lol:

I thank my players for a great couple games thou as I was really off on my GMing this year, if I get a chance to GM next year I hope to do allot better & even include maybe undead!! :lol:

Just want to say a big THANKS to Steven Page for his 2 games of Sword & Wizardy, love playing in the game & I always look forward to playing Rufus Burns, aka He-man of Scotland. Thanks as well to Reaper for letting me GM a game again & for Bryan letting me & the guys have the room again for Saturday morning.