My ReaperCon Report

nytflyr

The Fast Crawl was kind of funny. For a regular game, win or lose, you got 10 Reaper bucks for playing. Bryan told me that was average for an hour-long session. There was a way to earn up to 20, but nobody did because we under-estimated how long the encounters would take. We'll come up with something better for next year. I like the way the Warlord table was doing a thing where your character won treasure, and you got to keep what you won. We'll probably try to think of something along those lines.

The humongous bounty on Tim's godawful dragon was a late addition that Bryan offered. It wasn't actually what you got for playing, and as far as I know, only two teams scored the big bounty all weekend (one on Saturday, another on Sunday). We also learned some things about how to make that really work.

We all had a great time. Some of us are still recovering.

I, for one, bought way too many minis.

DM David

Radio Free Hommlet

Someone told me they racked up over 4,000 playing games....but perhaps I misqouted which ones they were playing.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an awesome con, wish I could have been there. Regarding the reaperbucks, perhaps some very rough guidelines should be used next years along the lines of "you should aim for handing out an average of X reaperbucks per hour played per player". Nothing to overly bother or restrict those running the events, but just to give them a general idea of how much to hand out.

Edited by vejlin

I had a really good time at Reapercon, despite my leg giving out on me Friday. I think it was the best organized event yet. Everything from pre-reg, t-shirt previews, through the actual con seemed to go very smoothly this year.

Registration Packets: very well put together this year, the tote bag idea was brilliant! Loved the plastic cups, too, everyone had something to drink out of or swish their paint brushes in.

Paint contest: it worked well, having registration in a different room to break up the crowd. I actually had a chance to see some of the entries this year, without getting shooed out of the room because there were too many people.

Storage shelves: another good idea, really helped free up table space this year.

The new games looked like fun, I just did not have time to play all of them.

Pancake breakfast: awesome! You should do this again next year. It more than made up for there not being any bbq left when we arrived < 7pm the night before.

I missed paint-n-take too, for the opportunity to pick up a primed mini for some casual painting. I noticed, however, that there seemed to be a lot less "camping" at the paint tables as a result.

My biggest complaint is that the Store wasn't well stocked, at least with items I and my friends wanted: swag shirts, paint brushes, and dropper bottles.

The pre-reg offer for next year seemed like a good deal, so we signed up. Looking forward to it already !

To start with I wish to thank Reaper for another excellent event. This being the 4th in a row they have all been great. The site is starting to grow more than the site can handle. That is actually a good thing, but does have drawbacks. There are very few issues I had with this event. The ratio of Reaper Bucks you can obtain at the event seems to be a huge amount in comparison to the amount of bucks you get for Swag points. The bounties on the Dragon was a cute idea but Reaper's own games got you nothing close to the WOC prize.

The free stuff was great, the tote bag was a cool idea. The meet and greet was fun(first one for me), the cakes were amazing btw. There has been some listed concern about space and it is a real concern,painting area, parking ect...Hopefully a plan can be hatched. The dungeon crawl was fun as usual, hourly trips to the boneyard consume one's soul. The gaming will get better, this event is still just starting to incorporate gaming as an extra facet and like every thing else it will have kinks to work out. For those of you who want Pathfinder it will be at the next years Con, details will follow. Thanks to the Staff, the Pro's and all the peeps I had a fun weekend.

The ratio of Reaper Bucks you can obtain at the event seems to be a huge amount in comparison to the amount of bucks you get for Swag points. The bounties on the Dragon was a cute idea but Reaper's own games got you nothing close to the WOC prize.

I actually think that it's a good thing that you can earn enough Bucks at the Con to somewhat counteract the swag points. IMHO the whole point of having an auction in Reaper Bucks vs. having it in cash is to A) reward people for participating and B) Give folks who aren't flush with cash a chance to win some really cool stuff. If it was all about the swag points, it would be a case of who has the most money to spend on Reaper figs... not that this is a bad thing to encourage, mind you...

There has been some listed concern about space and it is a real concern,painting area, parking ect...Hopefully a plan can be hatched.

It wouldn't be the same if it wasn't at Reaper Headquarters. I hope something can be figured out, though to be honest, it didn't seem THAT crowded to me except for, perhaps, the parking situation. Granted I didn't try to sit down and paint any day but Thursday so I might be... unobservant.

Ah I see. I did not know.

We also had the D20 Radio guys running Star Wars Saga Edition with converted Chronoscope minis and they handed out ReaperBucks.

GM Chris, you rock. Best I can tell he ran 3 4hr sessions back to back (I guess with a 1hr break) and was still bringing his "A" game

at 11pm on Saturday.

I was shocked to hear how many Bucks were being handed out on the quick Crawls vs what the RPGs were paying (I think I got a total

of $60 RB for the 4 hr RPG (with roleplaying bonuses). It seemed much more reasonable than the thousands being handed out for a 1 hr session.

I was shocked when Shak said there were no RB for Warlord. Maybe GM Chris was supposed to shower us with them (seemed like he had a ton more)

but like I said, I thought what he awarded was very acceptable.

GM Chris's game was awesome! I played the first and second parts back-to-back (with an hour break in between). I can't wait for the third installment that will debut at ReaperCon 2011!

• Artists

Wait, you mean kill ReaperBryan was just a game? awww maaaaaaaan :devil:

There was talk of a LARP version...

That sounds like something that would keep Bryan motivated on his fitness goals!

Later in the con I upped the amount of ReaperBucks you could get in the Warlord Dungeon Crawl to get more bucks out there. I started giving out a Reaperbuck bounty on the various beasties as well as a big bounty on the dragon. I think the dragon went down three times in my crawl when players were working together to take it down. I also did an escalating bounty on him. Its started at 500 bucks per player involved but never exceeded 600 bucks per player involved.

That was very much a reaction to the D20 Dragon bounty that Bryan allowed me to add. The crawl will probably go through a serious revamp for next year.