Vaitalla

Painting Competition Comments and Discussion

I think you all have listed some valid points. However I do believe that Maya has taken things a bit to seriously.

WE ARE PAINTING PEWTER SOLDIERS WITH SWORDS PEOPLE!!!

This is supposed to be fun. I have not had the pleasure of attending ANY cons in my lifetime (you lucky bastards that get to ::P:) nor have I entered many contests. I have entered a couple of the Reaper Halloween contests and I never got close to winning no matter how many hours/days/weeks/months/years I spent on the mini I entered. I felt there was a bit of favoritism that happened with that competition, but that's my opinion.

However I don't believe that the judges would favor one *ahem* "Style" of painting over another one. I think each of us has our own style. I know I take ideas from a lot of different sources. Just look at my posts on the Show off page to see them. But I have gotten some "WOW!" comments and some "Dude that could have been done soooo much better." comments. I learn, I take advice, I get better.... I beat Meg. :poke:

Watch your back Maples.... I'm gunning for you.... If I ever make it to RCon... LOL

I think just like with the painting competition, the highest and lowest opinions expressed here should be discarded.

LMAO!

From what you just wrote it sounds like "I scratched his back, he scratched mine" and we both passed our miniatures through. Perception is everything.

I can completely see Valloa's point on this one - even though I personally wouldn't feel that way in this particular instance, I can see how people can mis-perceive it. Perhaps Anne can take steps to minimize or hopefully even eliminating those type of situations, within the restrictions she has to work with. This isn't faulting Derek or Lazlo, ideally they never should have been put into that situation - if only because it's ammunition.

who else is saying it's unfair?

Doesn't matter. Unless they want to step forward on their own, and voice their own opinions or at least assert that Valloa is speaking for them.

I was an observer rather than participant this year for the painting competition. I don't really understand the whole Sophie Trophies thing. I'm not yet convinced that they "enhance" the competition in some way. Back when regular ranking was used, it of course was meaningful since it represented placement. But now, when entries can be Reaper or non-Reaper, when popular votes can swing pretty wildly, I'm not really sure why there are Sophie Trophies (other than Reaper has "a few" in stock which I guess can be a legitimate reason).

The more interesting part of the results, that I was listening to like a hawk, was the medals. I found it fun to walk around, look at minis, memorize some names for my favorites, root for friends, and listen to the results to find out who got what.

I was a little curious about the popularity vote, but not as much as the medals. And I honestly didn't even know what categories the trophies were being given for until the announcements, though that's probably just my laziness, I'm sure it was all in the rules somewhere that I didn't read since I didn't prepare an entry.

I must say I did enjoy the medal format. Are some gold medals more awesome than others? Sure. But I can't even begin to compare a scratch built 54 vs a stock 28, when it comes to which one is more awesome. And there comes a point in the quality of paint, where judges are judging more preference than anything else. It's a lot easier to get judges to agree that a paint job deserves a gold, than it is to place it first, second or third.

To hand those trophies out, I think it would almost be more entertaining to hand them out as "level up" prizes. This would of course require tracking from year to year which would be a pain. Besides, leveling up is its own prize so not even sure a trophy is needed there.

And sorry monkey boy, hope I didn't get you in trouble by asking for your opinion (I did it to Laszlo too). I just like to talk about entries and hear what others think, and hear what they think about what I think, and hear what they think about what I think about what they think (and... I suppose to cut it short I'll call it a conversation). This odd behavior (which presents itself especially when in a friendly competition habitat) is due to a combination of art appreciation, and a search for nuggets of information I can use for my own painting.

Perspective is everything in this instance. But as far as independent judges go that's not likely to happen at Reaper or for that matter at any show. What we do at Genghis Con, Tacticon, and ReaperCon as far as a five member team of judges is the same as the bigger shows that use the Chicago System (obviously that includes MMSI, but also the World Expo and almost every single painting competition I have seen in Europe). Almost every judge has an entry if not multiple entries in those competitions and all of us use alternates to step in and judge our entries when its time, so this is not something that is unique to Reaper. If there is no alternate judge available then you DQ yourself on your judging form (which means that now you are only getting four scores instead of five).

Don't fool yourself though. These are competitions, yes everyone that executes well is going to get recognition for that but the prestige of pulling off the Best in Show is huge.

I also consider the argument about the Sophie Trophy judging to be fairly irrelevant in regards to timing. There was not a single Reaper entry among the Saturday arrivals. Those Saturday entries were given the same consideration as the pieces that were judged on Friday night if one of them had been a Reaper piece it would have been considered right along with the other Reaper pieces. To say otherwise is really disparaging the integrity of the judges. Yes, a conversation was held and overheard in an area where it shouldn't have taken place but it was also held by judges that had already seen all of the Reaper entries. To think that some opinions would not have been formed by that point is just not realistic, and if there had been an outstanding Reaper mini entry on Saturday morning then these judges have the integrity to recognize that and would have given full consideration to the new entries and changed their opinions.

Unlike the medal portion the judges for the Sophie trophies are now in regular judging mode and are free to discuss the flaws and strengths of each piece. That is not what is done for the medal portion. For the medals the only discussion is about which piece entered by a painter is going to be judged. Scores by each judge are not shared and literally the only person that know who was getting what was the poor soul that had to actually add everything up. So really the only thing that may have been done wrong was where that conversation took place.

Everything useful that can be said on this matter appears to already have been.

Further discussion appears to be more likely to do harm than good.

Locking the thread.

</moderator>