Sign in to follow this  
Michael-TLH

Looking for some miniatures

Um i just thought of something. I usually play odd characters (elf monk, elf barbarian, and a dwarven bard ect.) I was wondering if there are box sets of a class in all races. I mean cum on has ne1 seen an elven barbarian, well wild-elven.

I am so cool  :cool:

Will people LAY OFF Drizzt? I LIKE Drizzt. He is FUN.

1. For gawsakes, who wants to read about a first level weef getting bashed by monsters, or by hobbits, for that matter? Yes Drizzt is powerful, SO WHAT?? Sheeezzzz. GM less often. it's warping you.

2. Self righteous? Have you actually read the books? Ok, ok, he was getting a tad pompous there for a while, but he's much better now, really he is. Reformed even.

3. I can't even remember three, but it may have been, try Thomas Covenant on for size, he's much more your style.

4. Cheers! You can hate him all you like. I don't AKSHULLY take it personally............ I just like to rant.....

I have to admit that I never read the books - a bit of snobbery, I guess. The first FR book I picked up was about some young woman that could channel spell energy into lightning or something like that. Anyway, they made her virtually invulnerable to others' magics & gave her mega offensive firepower & then pretended like she was in danger... it was kind of crazy. The plot was really very internal - about her finding the confidence & self-knowledge to use her powers, but the writer was doing a horrible job of describing that journey & putting lots of energy describing these spectacular battles - battles that were ultimately peripheral to her inner journey. It was such a bad balancing act, making a psychological thriller into an action epic, that they really ruined what could have been a good book.

I got turned off & never read another TSR book again - no dragonlance, no FR, nothin.

Then when I heard about Driz'zt - some good drow who kills groups of archmages & highpriests in their own places of power through his own might/skills/magic - i kind of laughed it off.

So, not really knowing Driz'zt, I can see how the outline of the story might seem ridiculous & people might be tempted to dis him. On the other hand, not having read the story I'm willing to believe that these books were better written than the others.

But there seems to be some true love/hate thing with Driz'zt that goes beyond my understanding. Why would people care so much about him either way?

People who like the books, like them because of the characters. The books aren't serious fiction, they're action/adventure, "The Further Adventures Of" type stuff, and bearing that in mind, they're fun- to me anyhow.

Anyway, I think it's that character-hook that either gets you in or browns you off, and that's why it's such a love-hate thing. I think Drizzt is a lovable chap, others think he's a jerk. So in a way it's personal. I think the books are fun light reading, others.... well actually I don't know what deeper meaning they were looking for, or wether they just hate it when the good guys win, or what. But I see that as being rather like picking up a comicbook and barking : "Ha! Orwell/leCarre/insert respected author here/  would NEVER have written trash like this!!!"

Well, DUHH sais I. If I'd wanted a biting satire/ grim drama/ cultural dissertation I would NOT be reading a bleedin' Fo'Realms paperback!

Well, DUHH sais I. If I'd wanted a biting satire/ grim drama/ cultural dissertation I would NOT be reading a bleedin' Fo'Realms paperback!

LOL.

yeah, couldn't have said it better myself. that's why it's hard to see what's so personal about it.

maybe it's personal because so many people decided to play a Driz'zt take-off in a campaign & got attached to the character over years of trying to keep it alive? That would be a bit more comprehensible to me...

It's mainly because some people, after reading the books, suddenly seem unable to have an idea of their own. They want to play Drizz't or a rip off of the character with the expectation that everyone will think it's cool and that the character will be just as effective and skilled as Drizz't is in the books.

Then there are those, like me, who had a drow character long before Drizz't even happened and get accused of making Drizz't clones.

btw - I've read and enjoyed all the books, but I have found Drizz't to still be the "low self esteem/self worth/self pitying super uber-munch ranger" who constantly whines about his feelings for Cattibrie. My opinion is... get over it already. After three trilogies you'd think the character would learn to grow a little.

I only read the Dark Elf trilogy.  The forst book was god, the second merely ok, and the third read like a horribly melodramatic transcription of someone's D&D session.  i haven't been back or read any more TSR books since then.

Back on topic, my quest for Reepicheep continues.  Anyone seen any good minis that would work?

yes, 'wreckage, the swashbucklin', rapier-totin, melodramatic, rodent-for-the-ages, Reepicheep.

Everyone knows, everyone loves, no one sculpts.

sigh.

well, whoever finally does will earn a bit o' dough!

Check out Dragglestown. I think they had a line of miniatures that had mice figures. Can't remember the brand name though. Just do a search under mice, miht work.

Lady Tam

"Where sky and water meet,

Where the waves grow sweet

Doubt not, Reepicheep

To find all you seek,

There is the utter East"

I know somebody out there was making them. And I can't help but wonder if it wasn't the "other" line Reaper bought and just recently sold. For some reason I think that was it. There were a bunch of mousling figures.

Lady Tam