60015 Kyra, Pathfinder Iconic Cleric

dks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, all.

@fieldarchy: For straight lines, I have long-practiced hands, I turn the figure so I'm always painting vertically (easier for me to get straight lines up-and-down than side-to-side), and my brush lays down so thin a line that it doesn't matter if I wobble a bit -- as long as the first line is somewhere within the final desired line/bar/band, I can then widen the line to one side or the other, and then the result looks straight. :;):

[EDIT: Oops, I misread your question.]

@SIGIL: Tre', my man... um, yeah. Remember not to respond on the Forums right after you've been sculpting for 12 hours straight! ::P:

@Jubilee, chipchuck, et al.: I agree, variety among miniature physiques is good. I was just mentioning the point that I had heard. Good luck with your male "Kyra", chipchuck!

@LadyArgent: The grass is my regular non-clumped static grass, applied with Elmer's glue and then highlighted with some yellow-greens and paler yellows. It just happened to form especially nice tufts this time.

@Hot Lead: Thanks, Laszlo! Using the picture in the Pathfinder RPG Rulebook as my reference, I set the midtone as Ultramarine Blue, the shadows Deep Amethyst, and the highlights a mix of Pure White and Ultramarine Blue. But the same image as printed on the cover of the Pathfinder Adventure Path #4 has blues that are less violet, so I redid the upper values in True Blue and Sky Blue. I kept the highlights subtle (i.e. not very light) because I didn't want to interfere with the values in with the tan/yellow freehand. I had to darken the highlights on the blue sleeves after adding the freehand anyway, because the yellow didn't stand out enough.

Derek

Edited by dks

what size brush do you use then?

I use a 2/0 W&N miniature series 7 and that gets most really tiny things but lines this fine . . . thinkin' not so much.

Sorry, Meg; I read your question and then answered it as if you had asked about "straight lines", not "fine lines".

My detail-brush is a Vallejo 0 that I've been using for almost two years, so it has lost a few bristles. It's now about the same size as a new Reaper 5/0.

Remember, if you can't paint a fine enough line, you can paint the line and then touch it up (make it narrower) from one or both sides: this process leaves a finer line than you could ever paint.

Derek

Derek,

Congratulations on your kubla best of show, well deserved!

She looks great, and I think the femininity is apparent, just not the fantasy buxom standard.

The even symetrical circular pattern is insane... really really really.... really.

pez :zombie:

what size brush do you use then?

I use a 2/0 W&N miniature series 7 and that gets most really tiny things but lines this fine . . . thinkin' not so much.

Sorry, Meg; I read your question and then answered it as if you had asked about "straight lines", not "fine lines".

My detail-brush is a Vallejo 0 that I've been using for almost two years, so it has lost a few bristles. It's now about the same size as a new Reaper 5/0.

Remember, if you can't paint a fine enough line, you can paint the line and then touch it up (make it narrower) from one or both sides: this process leaves a finer line than you could ever paint.

Derek

that is a very fine brush. I guess I should try my Raphael 6/0 then ::): I usually do touch up my freehand after laying down the general pattern in the area I want it. That's how I got that shield on Isabeau as detailed as I did.