50021 Buffalo Bill Cody in sepia monochrome

dks

I taught my "Monochrome Painting" class at ReaperCon 2009 and painted a Doc Holliday figure in sepia monochrome (like an Old West photograph), so I repeated the class at ReaperCon this year and painted a sepia-toned Buffalo Bill Cody to be second in a potentially endless series.

I wasn't sure whether to paint him as "youthful adventurer Bill" (brown hair) or "distinguished showman Bill" (white hair), but Jason Wiebe told me that he intended the latter.

I pre-mixed 10 colors of paint on my palette -- from lightest off-white, through middle orange-browns, to the darkest brown-black -- and then painted it like any other figure.

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-12756209751394_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you said that it's all sepia, but I could swear I see blue in the eyes.... ?

I see that when I expand the image with the Forum's viewer, too! Hmm. At this low resolution, the viewer must be making some new pixels where the Pure White sparkle in the eyes ends and the near-black (Brown Liner) irises begin -- and the neutral gray looks blue by comparison to all that brown. I open it in Photoshop and it's clearly a gray-brown, not blue or even cold gray.

@captenglish: A step-by-step? Maybe next time. Anyway, glad you like the figure.

Derek

he he I kinda remember that class, back in 09 (or was it 08 I took it :rock: )

Anyways, that is a sweet looking fig, Derek. The Sepia monochrome just fits that one perfectly.

Any ideas on which fig will be next in the "series"?

I agree with Jason, the white haired version would have stood out to much.

@haldir: My records say that I've taught this class at the past four ReaperCons! :wow: In the first two, though, I demonstrated on some duergar dwarves: there was a gray one, a deep red/pink one, and even a minty green one. As for what figure is next... I don't know for sure, but just search the Miniatures Gallery for "western" and that's my list of possibilities so far! :;):

Derek

yah I recall the duegar

I think the one I took was at or around 9 pm or so & I think the color was blues or greens. That also may have been the year I took more then 1 class at RCON.

How about 50076: Jeb Lawson, Western Outlaw

I like the fig, but the sculpt kinda puts me off. I'd like to see it painted up & who better to paint up :lol: