Airbrush/Spray Guns

Wumby

Ok, for some reason. I'm feeling the want to build and paint a tank. Whether its a GW tank or any historic model, don't know, don't really care. (Probably won't happen anytime soon either.) So I was thinking an airbrush would be fun to use on the large flat surfaces and fun to make camo with. Now, back in the day, 20+ years ago, when I built model cars, I had a Testors airbrush that I actually liked and it painted my camaro nice and even. Ok, so here's my question. GW does have a cheap Spray Gun, has anyone used it? Is it decent? I know that there are numerous folks on here who have much higher quality airbrushes, but I was thinking of going cheap since there will probably be infrequent usage. Any thoughts, reviews, links, etc...? Thank you in advance.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that the GW sprayguns were withdrawn from the market for a little while. I have seen somebody use one and it seemed to work fine, however its not capable of much beyond large surface area painting. You would need to use masks to be able to really do any kind of camo painting with it. I'm not sure it can be hooked up to a compressor either, it may only run on canned air so you will need to check that out. Canned air can get expensive very quickly.

I would recommend getting a cheap airbrush set. Most hobby stores have them, like hobby lobby, that comes with everything you need including compressor, gun, some paint and instructions at the least. Even though you may use it infrequently it is a good tool to have. I don't use mine a whole lot but it's nice to know I have it when I need it.

Heisler: I think it does only run on canned air...probably with a special fitting that works only with GW. I assumed that there wouldn't be much control with the spray and that I would have to do a lot of masking, which I may even do if I go with a better spray gun. Thank you for your thoughts.

Fieldarchy: Great suggestion on checking out cheap kits that have all the stuff with it, thank you.

I would go to Hobby Lobby and see what they have and then do a little research first. A cheap airbrush can cause no end of frustration. Like any tool its better to get at least a decent one than one that will just crap out on you all the time. I would definitely mull over this purchase before going out and making it.

Harbor Freight has a 20 dollar airbrush that is pretty much a Chinese version of the Badger brand. Eventually I'm gonna get it just for clear coating my models.

HF.com's airbrush page

I have a Paasche Millennium right now that I use for everyday use.

Also ebay is good for airbrush deals as well, just read what you are getting first.

Anther online option is Hobbyinc.com. I use them for when I buy Tamiya spray cans online. They are located in Georgia but even with the distance, I get my orders in a reasonable amount of time & the shipping is also reasonable.

Egg: So I did a quick Google search and found Badger Airbrushes. There were 3 different ones in the 200 series, would you think that the "detail" one would be the one I would need...well I know I am specifically asking about it for a tank, but if I could use it on typical figures that would be great too. Here's the link I used/found: link.

I too am pondering an airbrush. I have a question about the propellant cans. How long do they last? Is it comparable to a spray paint can? I don't know that I can afford the airbrush and compressor all at once, but I'd hate to waste money on the propellant if it's one shot and gone.

I too am pondering an airbrush. I have a question about the propellant cans. How long do they last? Is it comparable to a spray paint can? I don't know that I can afford the airbrush and compressor all at once, but I'd hate to waste money on the propellant if it's one shot and gone.

Depends on the size of the can you buy really and how much you are working on at once. In general its not a one shot deal but your working time is limited using a can as it freezes as you use it and reduces the pressure. Setting the can in tub or bucket of warm water will keep it running longer possibly until the air supply is exhausted.

When it comes right down to it set aside money for a fund for acquiring an airbrush and a compressor. If you can buy the airbrush now either do it and let it sit in the box or take that money and put it into said fund until you have enough. Just like the other aspects of painting starting off with at least good tools for this type of work is going to leave you a lot less frustrated.

This is exactly what I did when I got my setup, a double-action Iwata Eclipse airbrush and a tank style compressor. I'm much happier with this setup, even though I'm still learning, I'm getting closer to the skills I need to do the work I want with it. And the canned air can get expensive really fast, to the point where many air compressors pay for themselves very quickly. I also bought a double action brush up front if I had gone the single action route then I would be buying a second airbrush to do the work I really wanted to do and stepping back and relearning some skills.

Single action airbrushes are fine if your intent is only to prime, or large area coverage or even seal. Don't get me wrong when you have some skills there is a lot of other things you can do witha single action. However, take a good look at what you want to do with it and get the airbrush that will do the job up front and learn to use it well.

Edited by Heisler

Egg: So I did a quick Google search and found Badger Airbrushes. There were 3 different ones in the 200 series, would you think that the "detail" one would be the one I would need...well I know I am specifically asking about it for a tank, but if I could use it on typical figures that would be great too. Here's the link I used/found: link.

Mine is the MODEL 200 BOTTOM FEED AIRBRUSH. I haven't checked out the newer 'detail' brush yet, but the one I use is flexible enough for my needs - scale model aircraft and tanks, as well as 15mm armor. You can also change the spray tips out - I use a 'medium' for all my acrylic work, as the 'fine' tips have a tendency to clog easily if your mixture is less than optimum.

The Egg

The propellant cans get costly very quickly - they don't last long and need additional gear to connect. They also tend to get harder to regulate the pressure on as they empty. I didn't bother even bother with a hobby compressor. When I first started working with the brush, I bought a 5 gallon emergency tire fill tank which I'd fill at a nearby gas station. That and a good regulator (not the cheapo $10 ones), and I was ready to work. I later bought an inexpensive compressor which I use to refill the tank at home.

The thing with hobby compressors is they're a pain in the butt unless they have a reservoir holding air. The ones that simply run tend to 'pulse' their pressure as the piston travels back and forth. That means that unless you're shelling out the extra cash for one with a holding tank, your compressor will serve you better as a doorstop. That's why I like my solution - it might be noisy during filling, but the tank allows me to make fine adjustments in pressure, and the total cost to me for the whole system was about $100 CDN.

The Egg