World Cup time

vejlin

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the whole spectacle of WC soccer but for the most part I'm like ehhh, bring on football(American) season!!!

I tried watching a little bit of Mexico vs SA & I couldn't watch it due to the "buzzing" sound of the horns in the background. Cool that fans are into that much, but dang, something I don't want to listen to.

Did the Danish team qualify for the tournament? If so good luck!!!

I have no clue, that's how much I don't care about soccer.

Ahhh I hear ya... I'm actually a big sports fan in our (USA's) 4 major sports (Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey) but "soccer" isnt my cup of tea either. Just not enough scoring... I mean when 3-0 is a blowout? Cmon... They need to take 2 or 3 guys off the field and allow "cherry picking" , offsides. Then this sport gets exciting for me. :upside:

This is actual football. "Soccer" is just some weird madeup name.

I had a banner day of it. I went to the open house at the new stadium built for the Philadelphia Union, then went back into the city for the England/U.S.A. game, drinking and screaming in air conditioned comfort. What a result for us!!!

Finished the evening at women's Roller Derby!! I went to my first event, and now I'm hooked. It didn't hurt that what drew me in was the hot chicks buzzing around the track, but apparently, there are rules and actual strategy too!!

Half the fun of the World Cup is watching the play styles of the different countries involved, cheering your team, or the underdog if you're not in, and meeting folks. I saw a lot of England jerseys here in Philly. Nice folks.

The other half of the fun is drinking.

This is actual football. "Soccer" is just some weird madeup name.

Yeah, those Brits are funny about names, aren't they. dry.gif

For reference, "soccer" comes from "Association Football", and the term is originally British.

"Football" can refer to any of at least six codes* (rules sets), and the word is insufficient, by itself, to identify the game.

* At least five of those codes produce better games than Association Football. (And yes, I've watched many games of soccer over the years.)

around here "football" is sufficient to identify what game you're referring to.

It's sufficient around here, too. It's just that it's a different sport than the one you're referring to.

In an English-language international forum, "football" really isn't sufficient to differentiate between League, Union, Association, Australian Rules, American, and Canadian football (and probably others I can't think of right now). Since most forms of football other than Association are popular primarily in English-speaking countries (with a possible exception for Rugby Union in France), "futbol" or "fussball" or whatever is probably fine in other languages.