Ser Gregor Clegane, "The Mountain That Rides"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ha ha, great mini,great paint job and the mountain that walks is just a great character !

so you doing theon next ? you better do a good job, he is my favourite character , him and asha.

ha ha "We will NOT sow!"

can't wait for the next book by the end of the next decade, and the HBO series could be brilliant! fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Diamond Shark: Yes I am working on Theon. I've just started his face. So it's going to be a while before he is done. Working on a couple of other table top minis right now. And yes... Waiting on the next blasted book! The series looks good so far with who they have cast and the weapons.

IronHammer: His helm would look awesome with a pair of antlers on it and that stupid fist taken off. This mini would almost make a good King Robert Baratheon if you sanded off the dogs on the shield and tabard, freehanded a stags head, and replaced the sword with a warhammer.

Thanks for the great comments folks!

• Like 1

The color of the face is altered by the background and yellows inthe picture (I think). It also looks like an odd scyulpt, like a japanese kabuki mask or something. The chin looks too big, and the features are contorted. This may be good for the sculpt, but hard to paint as a mini. When there is no other flesh on a piece exept the face, you get a disjointed effect, it doesn't tie in anything else in the figure. I tend to paint these faces a lighter shade than a 'fleshier' figure, the paler flesh seeming to establish its difference from the rest of the figure, armored or robed.

• Like 1

Randall, the chin is huge but I don't think it takes away from the mini at all. As for the color of the flesh. For a character that spends most of his time outside and on the battlefield I'm not going to paint him like he was locked away in a cell.

I have done some more work on him and will be taking better pictures of him and will do that soon. I have to send it out to Meg soon as well.

• Like 1

Silly Lyn! We are already FB friends. LOL Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it.

hahahahahahhaha omg thats true! thats what i get for not having been on fb as often! im slacking! lol

Thanks Merc. I really worked on his face a lot. More shadows that I normally would put on to make it stand out more against the armor. I added some purple into the yellow I was using and created the shading for the tabard. Wasn't sure how it was going to work, but I think it looks much better now. Repainted the sword too. Much cleaner paint job on him now. He is boxed up and ready to ship to Meg.

Lyn! Get on FB girlie! heh heh

Wow, he really does look better now, though I thought he was more than decent before. I for one don't have a problem with the sculpt - a guy that big (in the books, the character is decribed as being closer to 8 feet tall than 7; a real monster in every sense) is bound to have some unusual proportions, and Tom Meier surely knows this... though the updated paint job does do a great job of making the whole face look better, IMO.

Midnight Lurker recently PM'ed me a link to this article which has some really interesting stuff about using warm shading colours to soften overly concave parts and cool shading colours to soften areas that seem overly protrusive. Seems to work surprisingly well, at least based on the photos in the article. I'm talking about the stuff on page 5 of the article here - perhaps this will be useful to anyone else who's painting Ser Gregor and having trouble dealing with that chin of his, though the rest of the article may be of general interest as well.

Kang

Thanks Kang! I bookmarked that article too. The purple in with the yellow was a nice surprise. Meier has spent a lot of time with GRRM and gotten to know the characters, so I don't have a problem with the mini, but I did think his chin was huge! lol Good points though.:B):

Great paint job, face is outstanding. The flustered tones look perfect his character. He's dumb, he kills children, he is a rapist, and he's proud of it. The face is  appropriate as he almost looks babyish. But a big dumb one lol. GOOD JOB!