Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Ottawa GameSummit 2010

OK, I posted this in the ReaperCon forum since it was the closest thing I could find to an on-topic forum for this post, but it's about a different con, so if there's a more appropriate place for this, please do move it there. Thanks.

-------------------------------------------

So, I went to Ottawa's GameSummit convention this past Sunday. Had a great time shopping for used D&D rulebooks and trying out a few new board games (Revolution is easy and fun and probably quite simple to drag your non-game-geekish friends/spouses/relations into as well).

I also took a couple of painting classes that were much less satisfying, sadly.

The highlighting and shading tutorial I signed up for got combined with an earlier-starting sculpting demo while I wasn't looking, so I got there a bit late, paid my tokens anyhow since they were still covering sculpting when the situation was explained to me. What wasn't explained was that the highlighting and shading tutorial had also been downgraded to a demo, which in the end I would have passed on if I'd known. Basically all they did was show us that old stop-sign diagram for zenithal lighting, and tell us it's incorrect to just highlight all the edges of everything the way they assumed we had all been doing up to that point but which in fact I have never even heard of anyone doing. Maybe it's a GW thing? They also (VERY briefly) spoke about highlighting the brightest lit areas by adding warm colours and highlghting the shaded areas with cool colours. Which actually was sort of interesting, but covered so quickly that I was still trying to wrap my head around the idea of highlighting the shaded areas by the time it was over. I could live with it being overly basic - the class wasn't billed as an advanced lesson or anything & I'd really only signed up to have the experience of participating in a painting tutorial of any sort. But it wasn't a tutorial at all, which was way more of a disappointment that the meagre subject matter that was actually taught (the sculpting portion of the class ran long enough to eat up most of the highlighting/shading timeslot even if it had beena tut)

35 of the 40 minute metallics and NMM tutorial was devoted to using a special colour wheel to highlight purple pants by adding a flesh tone and shade the purple pants by adding dark green. As opposed to either using lighter or darker purples, or adding white and black, I suppose. At least that part was a tutorial, though it had absolutely nothing to do with painting metallics or NMM. If that had been what went on in the highlightnig and shading "tutorial" I attended earlier, I would have been very happy. The last 5 minutes was the worlds fastest and most basic DEMO of painting with metallics using the most basic techniques that anyone in the world has ever heard of. All he did was base some armor in Vallejo Air silver, wash it with black, then pick out a few highlights with the same silver. That's it. And I repeat, that part was only a demo, not at all the metals tutorial I had signed up for. I had to ask the other teacher, "what about NMM" after the class had ended. He seemed like he was really in a rush to get to the speed-painting event he was scheduled to supervise as he grudgingly painted a small piece of armor in NMM in about a minute and a half and showed it to me before dashing off. Huge disappointment, although again, the tutorial part with the purple pants was actually quite interesting. So it's not like I didn't learn anything in this class; just nothing that had to do with the subject matter as advertised. Fairly upsetting that I never did get my metallics tutorial.

Still, I would have attended the advanced painting class that day if I had been able to stay that late, but I really needed to get home to my sick wife with & our 2 young kids whose mercy I'd left her at all day, plus my ride & the other friend who went with us were ready to head out by the time it started. Another class that would last for 2 more hours would have been great (especially since the topic wasn't so clearly spelled out - hard to be disappointed that the class wasn't on-topic when the subject is pretty much just 'advanced painting tutorial - successful painting'), but alas it just wasn't meant to be.

I don't blame (or name) the 2 guys who were teaching the classes; they both have impressive painting awards under their belts and really seemed to know their stuff. I think it had more to do with the way the painting events were organized than anything else. I wonder if they found that day's painting events satisfying... Hopefully next year's will be a better experience for me in terms of painting classes. Hopefully I can send my kids to their grandparents' place for the whole weekend and spend more hours (and more days) at the con as well.

Kang

The organizer is a buddy of mine. Want me to pass the feedback on?

I see on the Gamesummit forum that you already have. Thanks!

I'm rereading my post above & thinking I might have been a little hasty in posting and used some language that was maybe a bit stronger than it needed to be - "horribly" disorganized in the title and "huge" disappointment for instance... In fairness and with the added perspective of another day gone by since, these tutorials cost me a total of less than $10, so it's hard to justify calling my disappointment "huge" with that in mind. Maybe it was just my expectations that were a bit huge - first time I had an opportunity to take any painting clases at all, - or even attend a game convention at all; the only other local con I'm aware of happens on the same (Victoria Day) long weekend as my 2 kids' birthdays & they're both still too young (4 and 2) for me to take along - y'know? Still, the problems I described are things that really happened, so clearly there was an organizational problem of some sort. I'm sure there are a few glitches at every convention. Likely I just happened to be lucky enough to get the dirty end of this particular stick. There was only one other guy taking the metallics tutorial besides me (which was one thing about that class that was actually really good - same number of teachers as students means a lot more chance for feedback!), so luckily not too many people missed out on getting the in-person metallics and NMM tutorial.

Backpedalling aside for the moment, I think your buddy did a great job overall and I'll definitely be making every effort to go back for the next event & bring a few friends, so please feel free to share this with him as well, 'cause thanks in large part to his efforts I had a blast overall, and that also deserves saying.

Later,

Kang