Sign in to follow this  
cletusk82

Various Reaper minis painted

Here are a few Reaper minis I've painted over the last year or so (Have painted many more, but these are some of my favorites). I've been sorely in need of motivation to paint lately, thought posting some of my work for comments and criticism might help get me motivated. Appreciate any and all feedback on these.

post-6488-12769730951211.jpg

post-6488-12769730956151.jpg

post-6488-12769730960608.jpg

post-6488-12769730965127.jpg

post-6488-12769730969728.jpg

post-6488-12769730979243.jpg

post-6488-1276973098359.jpg

post-6488-12769730987938.jpg

post-6488-12769730993156.jpg

• Like 1

They are all nicely done and the base work finishes them off very well. Where did you find the lamp post for the first figure?

Your photos are sharp and were taken at a good resolution, but the white space around the figures needs to be cropped.

the space around the photos is fine. the angles, background and lighting is not though. You need to get a solid color (not white or black) for a background for most cameras. I find that grey and blue work best. Make sure you take your photos at consistent angles. Most of these look ok except for the one that is tilted in the picture, the knight dude. The lighting looks really harsh but that could be because of the white background. How many lamps did you use?

It looks like natural light me (like taken outside).

I think the white brings out the colors more (epically on the sorceress), but overall you do want a seamless background.

Nice work on the figs thou, solid painting.

I really love the colors on these. I think perhaps I'd like to see a bit more highlighting, unless your intention was to keep it in those nice earthy tones. The knight seems to have a lot of details that could have been painted a different color, though that in itself seems like a huge project. My favorite aspect has to be the splashes of yellow you used.

Nice painting on all.

I like the touches of what i think is snow on the guy with the lamppost.

Look up the tutorial for making a lightbox and it will drastically improve your pictures. I good gray or light blue back ground does help most cameras focus on what you are actually taking a pic of. I made mine in 5 minutes from an old shoe box and used my work light and a desk lamp with daylight bulbs. Really works well.

White backgrounds aren't good because all frequencies of light bounce off of it usually causing some sort of halo effect or other distortion in photographs. My minis "glow" and are hazy if taken against a white background. Taking pictures outside is also not good for photos of minis. Make sure to use at least 2 desk lamps with daylight bulbs in it. This way you can direct your lighting to illuminate the minis appropriately.

I've made the light box 3 times using various materials around the house and I never get good results using them. My set up is really easy. I have 2 desk lamps with bulbs in them and then solid backgrounds that I take up against something for my backdrop. That's it. I get the best looking photos with this setup than with any other set up I've tried. I find simple is better.

Overall the figures are great and I do have to agree with everyone about the lighting, background and angles. I used to take photos with a white split background, using sun light also, but then I came here to these forums and saw some great photo work and decided to try it myself. Unlike Meg (Fieldarchy), who by the way takes the most beautiful photos, I happen to like my light box. I use a fadded black piece of construction paper as my back drop, and I have 3 lights with daylight bulbs positioned so I get lighting from all around. I still get a lot of my contrast bled out, so I may have to do a little more experimentation. Keep up the good work and I am sure you will figure out what is best for you when it comes to photography.