Sign in to follow this  
fieldarchy

Vale Archer

The skin is a mixture of elf flesh and ice blue from GW with some linen white as the highlights. First time trying that recipe and it did come out well.

Very technically sound painting on this archer. The color selection is... you know, I'm just not sure if it works for me. Don't misunderstand, there's nothing wrong with it and the blends are wonderfully smooth. The similarity between the color of the skin and clothes creates a really neat theme/feel to the piece, but they are so similar my eye isn't sure where to look. I can imagine a whole army like this and it would be amazing and characterful. THe color scheme makes me keep coming back to look at it again and again, so I guess that's a good thing right? The dark deeply toned metalics really do a great job of breaking up the light tones of the model.

Overall, she's really quite beautiful. Nice work, like I said, I keep coming back to take another peek. ;)

Thanks for sharing so often,

pez :zombie:

Interesting color choices. I like the pastel clothing/armor. Not sure the skin works for me. It's very well done, though.

The skin I really like how it came out. I enjoy doing alternate skin tones and with this I wanted to go with a snowy, cool theme. I was thinking you know if I had my own game setting I would want to have different kinds of elves and some of them would be Ice Elves. Tolerant to cold climate with blue/bluish skin tones. I imagine they wear lots of pale hues and it was just a piece for me to have fun with ::): Since it wasn't a commission I could do whatever I wanted. Going a little wacky with colors can be a good thing. And hey, not everyone has to like my color choices. That's ok ::): Just letting you know my train of thought while painting this piece.

Can I get some in depth feedback about the skin and why it's not working for certain people? Is it that the blue shirt is too close in hue to the skin tone or is it that the skin tone is too unconventional or something else? The best kind of feedback, for me, means understanding what it is that people aren't liking and why. So we've covered the what, now the why is what I need ::):

@Pez--If you keep coming back to look that is a good thing ::): Even if your not sure why it's a good thing.

I hope the owner likes what he is getting. He just asked for a "fantasy" piece and I hope I delivered.

Can I get some in depth feedback about the skin and why it's not working for certain people? Is it that the blue shirt is too close in hue to the skin tone or is it that the skin tone is too unconventional or something else? The best kind of feedback, for me, means understanding what it is that people aren't liking and why. So we've covered the what, now the why is what I need ::):

After looking again, I think the issue is too many similar tones without clear textural differentiation. There isn't anything wrong with the skin. In fact, the skin tone is one of the elements that breaks the palatte with its slightly green hues. However, some purple eye shadow like you're so good a doing might have been extra outstanding.

The hair and the clothing apppear to be almost the exact same color and they cover the same range of color value (not sure I'm using that term right). What I mean is the deepest shadows on the clothes are the same (or very close to the same) as the deepest shadows in the hair, and the same is true for the highlights. The clothing (while I like it a lot) is ultimately white in its final highlights, which end up blending into the base too much. With whites, I know this can be particularly troblemsome when photographing. Perhaps some knicks and scrapes on the soft leather would help convey the idea of it being leather and break up that white field. The hair being painted to look less soft and a bit more shiny would help mentally devide up the model, and make it less monochrome. I totally understand what you're saying about wanting a 'cold' feel and alternate skin tone, you were very successful there. Like I said earlier, I could easily see and entire army of elves looking like this and it would be amazing. As I said, I think the skin is the strongest point of this model (that and the metalics). I think the skin gets lost in the uniform textures/colors of the rest of the model. I find myself looking only at the face. Another idea I had for breaking things up is perhast giving the purples a bit more intensity in the shadow areas. As for the warm vs. cold color theory (front view only), she is divided into two halves. The top half cold tones. Bottom half, warmer tones. That might be adding to the issue as well and preventing my eye from comfortably moving around and rather being pulled between one area and another.

Obviously, your paint-fu is much stronger than mine so please know I'm not trying to tell you your craft. I hope some of my above ramblings help answer the "why" of what's up.

cheers,

Pez :zombie:

Beautiful, echo the skintone. I'd be ecstatic to receive it. As far as the color and differentiation, it seems like it is begging to be a monochromatic piece but I still dig it.

First off, I think you've done a very nicely painted piece. Subtle shading and a good balance between warm and cool tones. Metallics aren't my cup of tea, but the strong blackened-steel compliments the rest of the mini.

After looking again, I think the issue is too many similar tones without clear textural differentiation. There isn't anything wrong with the skin. In fact, the skin tone is one of the elements that breaks the palatte with its slightly green hues. However, some purple eye shadow like you're so good a doing might have been extra outstanding.

The hair and the clothing apppear to be almost the exact same color and they cover the same range of color value (not sure I'm using that term right). What I mean is the deepest shadows on the clothes are the same (or very close to the same) as the deepest shadows in the hair, and the same is true for the highlights. The clothing (while I like it a lot) is ultimately white in its final highlights, which end up blending into the base too much.

I agree with Pez here - your values and hues are too similar. The value of all the blues tones is so similar they tend to blur together - the subtle darker value and greener hue of the face is not enough to make it stand out from the blue of her jacket, quiver, etc. The hair is a little better because it has more pure white as highlighting, but it too is similar in hue.

What would I do differently? Hmmm... Push the greenish tones of the face a little darker perhaps? But then again, that doesn't fit with the cool outlook you wanted for the mini. Maybe use a different hue of blue for the clothing? There's a ton of blues out there, each with little differences. Or perhaps add some grey to incorporate a neutral color, while letting her skintones remain pure in hue.

With whites, I know this can be particularly troblemsome when photographing. Perhaps some knicks and scrapes on the soft leather would help convey the idea of it being leather and break up that white field.

[snip]

As for the warm vs. cold color theory (front view only), she is divided into two halves. The top half cold tones. Bottom half, warmer tones. That might be adding to the issue as well and preventing my eye from comfortably moving around and rather being pulled between one area and another.

I actually really like the slight warm tone in the white. This is a good trick to make the cooler tones seem even colder as a result. But I see exactly what Pez means - the two halves look a little like different minis. I don't know that making the whites cooler would be the key, though... However I noticed the outlining is missing on the leg armor. You have strong outlines on the upper torso and limbs, including the white grieves on her arms. Adding the same level of outlining on her feet (maybe even the side-seam on the thigh armor) would tie the mini together more.

Later,

Laszlo

Beautiful piece!

I have to echo everyone else...I'd be pleased as punch to get this in the mail!

For the face, maybe shading using glazes of maroon or darker reds? The warmth and color of the reds would contrast against the cooler base/highlight colors, and may help differentiate the skin tones from the clothes.

I'm not sure if it's the photos, but it looks like there is a very fine texturing that can be seen on the blue cloth and quiver? That's very neat...looks like a wool or fleece material. I'd love to see closer photos of this mini!

-AW

There is texturing on the quiver and on her shirt.

I am not sure doing a red or maroon in the face would work at all. It would give a completely different look to the skin and the skin is what I like.

As for being somewhat monochromatic that is not far from what I was thinking while painting her. I wanted the values to be very similar--just cool. The blue on her shirt came our darker actually than what I was shooting for but I wasn't unhappy with the result.

All advice is noted should I ever do this kind of color scheme again though. I do appreciate everyone's feedback.