14561 King Axehelm of Kragmarr

dks

I painted King Axehelm while I was at Reaper HQ in late May, after ReaperCon.

You might recognize him from the cover of the Warlord Savage North book. (Frost giant not included.) ::D:

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-12780301300267_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gadzooks! Your work always astounds me.

I love the reflected light on the shield. The white of the snow reflecting up to the shield is a great device to help make that design pop out.

Am I also seeing gold reflecting off the ax onto the undersides of the helmet horn? Painted or actual reflected light? I honestly can't tell.

Beautiful!

-AW

Dwarf-fans and non-dwarf-fans, rejoice! ::D:

This is all NMM.

The cover art seems to show a glow emanating from the axe, so I added the yellow-glow effect here (especially on the arm and helmet).

The reflections from the snow might be a bit strong, but I exercised artistic license. :;):

And yeah, it's interesting how the figure turned out to have a red-yellow-blue (or warm-cool) color scheme when I started out just expecting "brown". ::P:

Thanks,

Derek

That's great Derek!

I, like everyone else, love the play between warm and cold colors. How did you keep the focus on the face despite the most intense areas of color contrast (Axe and Snow) being relativly far away from his face?

Thans for showing,

Pez :zombie: