Sign in to follow this  
Warwick

Proxy vs Create a Faction

So, dear friends, I have a puzzle. I have an army made from To-Tanum, little stonemen from the Wargods miniature game. Back in Warlord 1.0 I built them around a Freelance force and was pleased, even used them in a tournament. Now I have them out again and am trying to build an army to play with. I could just proxy them, probably use Crusaders with the numbers filed off.

However, I had a thought. Has anyone built a custom faction just for their own use? I know my local players won't mind facing them because they know I won't powergame them. I started working on the idea and have some cool concepts for my stonemen. I could easily finish up the faction, using existing data cards as a springboard, drop in an FA, a few items, a few spells. Make sure I can hit 1,000 and 1,500 points.

Is this a waste of time? Should I just proxy them? Your thoughts matter to me.

Let's see the checklist:

1. Models you're happy with? Check.

2. Proxied for existing troops without powercreep? Check.

3. Cool gamers who will play with you? Check.

Sounds like an easy choice for you. Run with it!

I would think the Dwarves would probably fit in with a concept of little stone men as well. And they already have the Stone Spirit and Elementals in their Data Card set you could use as well without even needing to proxy.

Dwarves stink. And Wildbill plays Dwarves.

Now I'm leaning to create my own faction. I already have three actual armies, and a few all proxy armies. I think I want to try something new. These guys are so cool, they deserve a faction of their own, even if it never gets played except against the locals. Since 99% of my games are against the locals, it's not a big sacrifice.

I have a house emergency in another town (grrrr) so I'll have to finish this thought later.

Dwarves stink.

We do not, good sir!! It is just our natural aroma coming to the surface. We can not help it if your undead Vampire nose can not handle a good earthy aroma. ::P:

:lol:

I love the idea of making up a faction just for those guys. I'm cool with taking existing datacards from whatever faction that seem to fit the "feel" of the To-Tanem and just putting a new name on them. This is essentially a Freelance army, but that doesn't mean we can't create new datacards from scratch.

After we finish our epic 2-on-1 game next week, I know what we'll be trying out the following week!! ::D:

Wild Bill :blues:

If your opponents are cool with it, I say run with what you come up with. Sometimes it's a blast to change the rules and just throw down a friendly game.

I recommend the Nefsokar constructs as a starting point. The Anubis guards, Ammat Devourers, and Daughters of Sekhmet already have that stone creature feel.

With Savage North so close, I'm going to put this project on hold. I'll have a bunch more data cards and factions to work with. So, see you back here in a few weeks.

pardon the month old thread-no-mancy, but I happened to notice somebody (nudge nudge) claiming that Dwarves stink. That, my good sir, is simply not true. Dwarves are fastidiously clean creatures.

On Topic:

Here's what "broke the game" as far as freelance armies went - all-ranged, and all-first strikers. i.e. "hey look at me, I found a gimmick, and I don't care that what I am doing is only fun for one person even though I am ostensibly playing a recreational game with another human being."

Do what you wish, man, you seem like a level headed fellow who gives a care about the people you play with, and that's all the guidance you need in this endeavor.

Yes, now that I can absorb Savage North into the Warlord world, soon I'll start hammering out my custom faction. Fear not, I won't go with one trick cranked up to 11. Plus I have Wildbill, Not Sure, and Greenie to keep my wild impulses in check. I just want to be able to bring them out to play once in a while.