Nmm recipes

Hey, Gang.

Let's talk a little NMM, please.

I've been practicing this technique in order to further my highlighting skills (an area in which I think I am in need of the most practice) and in the process have been reading articles about the technique. While many of these articles are good, I find the best offer actual recipes for each type of metal. Such recipes have been invaluable to me.

And so, I thought I'd ask everyone here for their recipes (particularly those among us who have mastered the technique -- so many do it so very, very well -- the Halbarad in the October contest!! WOW!!  :O  ).

At any rate, would you please be so kind as to share your recipes (color, manufacturer, etc.) for Gold (light or dark), Silver, Steel, Bronze, other odd colors (red, blue, green), and rust with me and the rest of the folks here? I know I'd really appreciate it. I don't need actual percentages -- just which manufacturer and colors you use. Of course, mixing percentages would just be a bonus as would pictures!!  :)  

Thanks, everyone! Happy painting!

-Whiz.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a lot of folks go off about blending 9 different browns and yellows together to get gold and all that sort of thing, but to be simple and succinct, I use snakebite leather, white mixed for highlighting right up to pure white edges and spots, and darker brown for some shading. 3 colors. Various mixes and SMOOTH transitions. The Halbarad is very nice but the transitions are still fairly rough! Remember though, I too am still learning about all this craziness.... The best luck I have had is really wet blending the three shades together sort of and then just highlighting the edges with white for instance!

THe silver is similar except I will use black or a hint of dark brown for the shading. For darker metal, simply start with a darker base. For steel as opposed to polished metal, alter the range of highlights and shadows. ie, have a larger neutral area with less stark highlights...

It is all fun and experimentation. That is why I said that to start off!!!!

I'm a newbie at this too, but I'll share what I've got.

Steel1:

Dark grey

Medium gray

Light Grey

White

Steel2:

Add a touch of blue to the mid tones of Steel1, but leave the extremes alone.

Steel3:

Dark grey + flat brown (2/1)

Medium grey + enchanted blue (2/1)

Space wolves grey

White

Steel4:

Medium grey + shadow grey + black (1/1/1)

Medium grey + shadow grey (1/1)

Light grey + space wolves grey (1/1)

White

Steel5:

Experiment!

Gold1:

Scorched Brown

Snakebite Leather

Leprous brown

Ivory (or Bleached bone)

Gold2:

Scorched Brown

Snakebite Leather

Bubonic Brown

Ivory (or Bleached bone)

Gold3 (courtesy of Verzani):

Scorched Brown

Scorched Brown + Vermin brown + leprous brown (2/2/1)

Above + more leprous brown + white

Continue to add white

Gold4:

Experiment!

You can create different affects by using a touch of green in the base or shades of your gold. You can use a touch of orange in the base and shades of your steel. You can use a touch of blue on the final highlights of your steel. You can use a touch of brown on all of your steel. You can do all of the above.

I like this thread. I too would like to see more NMM recipes.

Great post, Mengu!! Thanks so much! Really good stuff in there.

I, too, hope this post continues (thus the oh-so-cleverly disguised and shameless bump  :D   ). I'd like to see what others have to share and then pick and choose from among my favorite recipes.

But again, thanks for the reply. Hopefully, this thread will take off to become a repository of NMM wisdom.

• Reaper User

Only have a few seconds, but...

White metals:  Neutral gray mixed with blue for midtone, black, and white.  Odd other colors in place of the blue for weird effects.

Gold:  Midtone Oiled Leather, highlight Hawkwood, Desert Gold mixed with white, pure white.  Darkest shadow Walnut.

Red Bronze:  Midtone Oiled Leather, shadow Aged Red Brick, highlight Hawkwood, Hawkwood and Linen White, Linen White.

Copper:  Same as above, except midtone mix the Hawkwood with the Aged Red Brick, or do exactly as above with a wash of Aged Red Brick over everything right before your final highlight.

--Anne

I suspect stuff like copper owul dbe easy enough using a base color, black and white as well... Of course, the base color is up i the air here. Anne may have mentioned it. Just remember, besides the smooth is the contrast for any sort of shiny metal.

Light sources are next and maybe a different thread. To look convincing, I think it is much more difficult than most people think. Same concept as the NMM itself perhaps, btu the actual execution is the kicker!

• Reaper User

Oooooh, man, Zaphod, don't open that barrel of worms, or I'll have to start painting up a whole bunch of minis with light-sourcing to use as examples for what I'm talking about...  :oo:

--Anne

p.s. I always thought light-sourcing looked kinda gimmicky without a backdrop...I think if I try it it will have to be a diorama.