Sign in to follow this  
dharman07

3.5 Pathfinder/Fogotten Realms Game

"Name's Kurith...just Kurith.", she replies, glad to hear somebody else mention the call to arms..or at least she hopes the defense of the city is in fact the same crusade the elf sitting at the table with her is speaking of.

"I signed on too. Seemed a good idea when I done it." She takes a second long drink from her mug of ale, then adds, "I ain't so sure now. Don't think I'm scared or nothin', but I ain't what they want for this man's army." She then picks up her mug, chugs down all that remained of her ale, and then holds it over her head upside-down so that Brundha can see that she is in need of a refill.

"May's well have another b'fore the taps run dry."

"Aye." he said with a quiet voice, motioning for a drink as well. "We have to do something. I've seen what they can do with my own two eyes and We have to stop them. Their army grows with each kill, No body is resting upon death. Not a single one. They just swept everything away." He frowned slightly. "This 'Lord Aw'Raki' has to be stopped. "I don't know what he wants but he wants it bad." Arlego leaned back in his chair slightly and smiled, and what a scary smile it was. "I can't wait to see the look on his face when he hears about me. Why're you joining?" he asked suddenly not serious anymore.

Kurith passes the empty mug to Brundha as she passes by. She looks at Arlego for a moment, thinking how best to phrase her response upon having heard his reasons for joining. No good explanation readily comes to mind though.

She clears her throat, lowers her voice a little and tells the ugly truth. "I was drunk."

Around the Docks, it was not unusual at all for some ship's captain to send a couple of men round to the bars and brothels recruiting sailors with the promise of fame, fortune and a handful of shiny gold coins up front to seal the deal. Nor was it entirely unheard of for some of the more ambitious drinking establishments or night-watchmen to turn a blind eye to the wholesale kidnapping of drunken men in order to fill out a ship's crew. Usually such places or people were rewarded with a nice bribe. The army did not lower itself to such tactics, but still recognized that in certain parts of the city it is much easier to find recruits who are looking for more steady work and who are of the thuggish sort that armies like to fill their front ranks with. Kurith honestly could not recall much of anything except for what Irenda told her the next day; but apparently she had been down at the Mug And Bucket getting her payday drunk on when the recruiters showed up. Long and short of it was that she got five silver coins, they got her mark on a piece of parchment and she was to report to duty soon.

"Yeah..Awrr-racky's gotta be stopped. I ain't got no love for undead. Jus' ask Toldin. We killed plenny of 'em for Belrose."

He grabbed his mug and raised it towards Kurith before drinking from it deeply for a long moment. After he had quenched his thirst he set the mug down. "I'd be glad to have you at my side then. The first time I fought undead is when they surged into my town. I don't have much experience with em, but I have many useful skills that can wipe them away as well as aid a group. Maybe we'll even work together!" He said with a grin on his face. "Do you mind if I ask what skills you plan on utilizing for this army? Are you a warrior?" He asked with a odd curiosity.

Just as Arlego had asked Kurith that question a tall man bumped into him as he had been walking by and he turned with a offended look on his face. The small group of men looked tired and were obviously dirtied from the dust from the road. They wore dark cloaks completely concealing whatever lay beneath. These men looked capable of handling themselves.

The lead guy, the one who had bumped into Arlego was about 5'10". He was wearing Chainmail underneath his cloak. His dark brown hair looked very dirty and it was matted down as if he had been wearing a hat all day. His skin was tanned as he had seemingly lean muscle as he looked quite agile. He also had a short sword strapped to his side. His blue eyes were cold as ice as he issued a challenge to Arlego to fight him. "Come on elf scum! I dare you, raise a blade. Just give me a reason to tear you apart." He looked towards Kurith as well as he tried to eye them both down. He is obviously used to people obeying him. His hand strayed to his side as he went to slowly pull his sword from his scabbard.

Arlego laughed as the man started to reach for his sword and he started a quick incantation and stood as he motioned his fingers in an odd way. To the Belligerent man Arlego seemed to have doubled in size and his voice seemed to boom into his face. "Are you so sure that this is the path you wish to take?" Arlego said with a gleaming and dangerous smile.

The man looked at the dangerous elf and then towards the dangerous looking half-orc sitting across from him. He was sweating all over. He quickly sheathed his sword as he turned to run. He tripped over his now overly long cloak and fell into a nearby table, where ale had spilled onto him. He then got to his feet and bolted from the Inn. His group looked so stunned that they just stood their for a moment before running after him.

That seemed to leave an opening of 3 rooms as they had just paid for the rooms. Maybe he could work out a deal with the Dwarf..

Happy that for once it was not she having to do the bouncing, Kurith shouts to the men as they fled the inn.

"Don't START no s***, won't BE no s***!"

As the room returns to relative normal, she replies to Arlego's question. "Yeah..you could say I'm a warrior. These days I just bounce drunks at a bar, but I done my share of proper fightin'. Toldin over there made me a fine axe. Jus' ask him an' he'll tell ya how fine it is." She cracks a slight grin for having made one more of many jokes at the poor dwarf's expense. "Toldin an' me done some work for his boss Bellrose a year or so back...stealin' some dwarf treasure or other or somethin' like that. I don't remember what it was even but we got paid for it. Me an' hiim been friends since."

She looks over in Toldin's direction and takes note of the wizard in red.

"I don't know 'bout Red-man over there. He got a mean look about him."

Zenani, Bellrose, and Mark Kram stood around the wide wooden tables of the Kitchen. On the table was an elegant dish of Dateroot and Havana, plated on a layer of mushroom risoto. The lace of the Havana leaves were aranged like an opening flower.

"Ach" said Bellrose eyeing the dish suspiciously... "And ye say Elves eat that?"

"Yes Dear", said Zenani in a motherly tone. "I assure you, they will love this". Zenani had her silver hair pulled back in a bun, held up with a pair of Elven Chopsticks. Her traditional Elven dress was covered with a white hemp apron, surpisingly clean for the three hours they had spent in the kitchen.

"Er.. But it aint got no meat in in?", Said Bellrose suspiciously. Who would pay three gold a plate for food without any meat in it?"

"Bellrose", said Zenani, putting her hands on her curvy hips. "How long have you known me?"

"Years", grumbled the dour Dwarf.

"And havent I, cooked for you a Dwarven Liver Pudding that you said was better than your mothers?"

"Eye", grumbled the Dwarf still eyeing the plate.

"Well if I can cook Dwarven food that well, then I assure you I can cook Elven food even better. The next step will be making sure that Mark, here can prepare the meals."

Zenani looked over at Mark Kram, the head chef of the Underdark Inn. The poor human was covered in sauce, his apron stained in two dozen places. What Zennai had made seem effortless, he had struggled with for hours. "Poor Mark, elven chefs take twenty years just to master cutting, and here the poor lad has to master Elven quizine in a matter of months".

"Can you do it lad?", Accused Belrose, thinking of his proffit line.

Before the exhaused chef can answer. Brundah burst through the door holding a crossbow.

"Bellrose... trouble out front!", she said with a steely tone to her voice.

Bellrose marched towards the door, picking up his crossbow on the way.

"OH Dear", said Zenani following him towards the front. "I may have to use my other talents".

As the comotion started at the table in front of him, Toldin nodded to the red-robed wizard.

"Excuse me", he said politely.

From under the bar, he pulled out what appeared to be a crossbow with a miniature naval cannon mounted in an underslung position. Toldin calmly pulled the lever to cock the string, and a bolt magically appeared in the knocked position.

About that time Bellrose burst through the door behind the bar from the Kitchens. Behind him came Brundha, and a curvacous elfen lady dressed in an apron.

"OY! Not in my Inn! Take it outside", he bellowed in a loud voice. Leveling a crossbow at the crowd. Beside him, Brunha, the golden pigtailed dwarf did the same."

While they were doing this, there was a flash from the table in question. The blusterous ruffian who was causing trouble at the table lost his nerve, tripped into another table and dissapeared out the front doors of the inn.

Kurith, the she-ork jumped up and yelled "DONT START NO S*** AN THERE WONT BE NO S****" in a growly voice.

The two long cloaked compainions of the ruffian looked at the Orc and the army of dwarves, and high tailed it out of the Underdark.

"Har har har", Laughed Bellrose like two stones rubbing together.

"Tell me Toldin, Had they paid in advance?".

Toldin nodded. "Eye, for a week. They were in room 6."

Bellrose smiled. "Then let the room again, and we will double the profit!". At the word profit, his blue Dwarven eyes shined like crystals in firelight.

The half-orc received a few seconds of regard, about the time that she looked in their direction, the dark eyes of the half-elf looking her up and down with a practiced eye. He had been in a few crowded places like this, but most of them had been battlefields, or melees. This inn was... none of his business, really. They got pointed in this direction, so they came, and the state of the city guaranteed that keeping watch over Maracos was going to be fairly difficult. At least he was not prone to impulsive decisions, and for that, he was thoroughly grateful.

He was hoping to sleep in a room while they were here, however. A cot was not something he wanted to sleep on, not at the prices things were at now. A patron standing drew his attention off of the half-orc, and he resumed watching the room, a shrug of his shoulders loosening the tension that came from carrying the amount of equipment that he still was. It would be good to get out of the armor.

The red-robed wizard observes the confrontation develop with a disinterested look, a quick glance confirming that Lan'iln had taken note of the situation. Allowing himself an appreciative smile at the weapon brandished by Toldin, he mentally notes to later discover who had crafted the impressive device.

"Excellent work," Maracos states, bringing his hands to clasp together before him as he walks casually towards Bellrose and Toldin. "I knew that you would arrange something," he continues with an acknowledging nod to the blond bearded dwarf with whom he had been negotiating, "now, I believe you mentioned 4 gold pieces?"

Exasperated and worried that his friend would cause yet another brawl at the Underdark. Toldin slid his crossbow back under the bar and went to sit down at his Kuriths table.

Meanwhile, Bellrose looked up at the red robed wizard and his Knight. "By the Maker", he thought. "A Red wizard. Now this could be the opening to a profitable relationship!"

"Well", huffed Bellrose pretending indifference. "If'n yer robes and yer tatoos arn't some fake. Then Im thinkin yer Thayan. Allways happy to have the Red Wizards on our side. You an yer knight welcome to one of the rooms, but if those hotheads come back, ye may have to explain to them why their rooms are forefit".

Bellrose removes the bolt from his crossbow and slowly releases the string.

"And do it outside, if you please. Last Thayan Wizard we had here took out half of the upstairs. Did pay for all repairs though. Ifn' yer agreeable to those conditions, Ill even thrown in yer board." He thumbs over his shoulder at a curvy and radient silver haired elf over his shoulder. "Weve got us a top rank Executive Dining Consultant, she may be able to cook you up som'in Thayan even, as long as its not a bolied head or whatev'r."

He points over the the table where Toldin is sitting.

"The blond haird one is family. Thats the last table we have open fer tonight. Sit with him, an he will make sure you get taken care of".

Walking back to the kitchens, he grabs Zenani by the elbow. "Take care o' the red robed one. His kind have great connections when its a comming to the finding of rare items... or of buyin' em. I may have a few Im lookin to sell. Need him amiable. Best way is a full stomach".

Kurith sees Toldin coming over and offers her help, half in jest knowing Toldin's dwarven pride will probably cause him to reject her offer.

"Need help with chuckin' lowlifes outta here? My offer's still good. All I need's board an' bed..three hots an' a cot an' one day of seven off."

She then recalls the reason she'd came to see Toldin in the first place.

"Not that I'd be workiin' for ya long. I gotta be at army muster soon. I don't even remember signin' up..but Irenda sez I did. What'd they do if I jus' don't show up?"

Toldin sat down at the table with Kurith, and the Elf she had been conversing with.

"Ach Lassie, canna you try and keep it down just a wee bit? I need that more than I need bouncin. If yer into rabble rousin' the docks 'r just a quick strech of the legs. I need'a keep me City cousins inna good standin'"

He nods to the elf occupying the other seat at the table. Not catching the rest of Kurith's statement over the noise of the inn, he inquires "So I thought yer were off on some hair' brained scheeme. Whatcha doin here at this time o' day?"