Boo, my biggest painting fear

mkh

Wish I could add this topic below the NMM and Flesh recipies as those two are really going to be nifty to see.

Heh heh, fitting topic for the month in which Halloween occurs, what scares you?

Anyways, I will tell you my biggest fear when it comes to painting, Mixes!

Why?  Its mainly for larger minis, I am afraid of running out of paint and being partially done with the color I am working with.  I am working on a large model right now(Wraithlord) that I have had that happen twice and it seems I can never get the same color to match on the new mix.  I know I could premix a ton of paint, but then what if I never use that color again?  I may pick up some empty squeeze bottles but as of now I also end up having one of my premixes dry out on me as they are in small capped containers that I picked up at an art store.  How do you all do it, I am serious it really does scare me. :O

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I normally pay attention to the number of dips I smear on my pallete of any given color, so, if I smear two brushfuls of blue , and another brushful of yellow, I always try to keep that ratio when the original mix dry out. It may not be an exact measurement, but since I work with very thin paints, it always seem to match the previous hue.

One thing I try to avoid is mixing rather large quantities of pain in one go.

This doesn't quite fit the topic, but, getting back on eBay & flopping, :down: honestly my biggest painting related fear, as it will pay for the support of my mini addiction. :p

Other than that, umm, seeing an effect that I like and not being able to come up with a way to get it. :oh:

Orchid - who has issues :oo:

Other than that, umm, seeing an effect that I like and not being able to come up with a way to get it. :oh:

Orchid - who has issues :oo:

Last I checked, we all had issues of some variety or another.

And I believe my biggest fear is getting a mini all done and then discovering after I've sealed it that I forgot to paint something a certain color or I painted something the wrong color.

My biggest fear?

Finally finishing a mini and having something bad happen when I go to seal it, like picking up the spray primer instead of the dullcoat, or having too much wind or humidity and the spray going on white, or...

the mini falling and breaking.  :down: (yes, this really happened)

Accidently dropping a mini head-first into an open ink pot.

I've done it, it isn't pretty - the collateral damage to shirts, other minis, my drink, brushes, etc. is not good (or even always obvious until it is too late).

Okay, I helped and now The Fear....

Michelle Dancing Blades. Nothing special, but pretty nice for my skills at the time. Done. Sitting on the microwave (I painted in the kitchen) and I bumped the table with my elbow, and down she went HEAD FIRST into a huge bowl of egg salad mix...

I washed her off, and she was okay I guess. Then I took her and another figure i had just finished to spray, and promptly blew pepper all over her from the base materials on the other figure :(

Not really a fear, just a story liek everyone else's :D

Testor's makes a set of plastic pipettes (ok, however you spell it [email protected][email protected]), basically a larger version of a eye-dropper for mixing paint. You can draw up a little paint from the bottle and then by using the same number of drops each time you can get a simular ratio every time you mix the paint. They're immune to most solvents and wash up to be usable over and over. They sell them on the same rack with their acylic paint line in a blister pack hanging at the top.

Not sure if this is any use but I've had good results with them.

A few things here...

I've never had to worry about my paint mix running out. I always seem to have too much paint on my plate (and end up wasting a bunch). But I have had to mix the same color more than once though because I forgot to paint something (like those pesky elf ears). I use dropper bottles and this makes it very easy to measure how many drops you want in the ratio. It also helps that I use a notebook to record the mixes I use for each mini I'm working on. It's sometimes like a plan, and sometimes just like a log. When using thin layers, as long as you know where you start and where you end your gradient, the middle mixes don't really matter that much.

As for my fears, I have two. One is getting paint on my hand or fingers, and then without realizing, smearing it on whatever I'm working on. I'm especially afraid of inks for this reason, since they are messy to begin with.

My second fear is basing. I'm always afraid I'll get a glob of glue on the mini. So I've started basing my miniatures before I paint them. Seems to yield one less worry. But still static grass is always the last step and it involves the use of glue.

Well, my biggest fear is that I'll be painting, and everyone is staring at me, but I cannnot figure out why, when suddenly I realize that I am not wearing any pants!  :p

Actually, what kills me is coming up wiht the base colors for a mini. I guess I am terrified that since I paint minis in sections, that I will paint soemthing ver well, and then botch another section, which results ina citri0strip bath for the mini.

At Michaels or Pat Catans, I buy these little paint tubs.  They probably only hold about 25% compared to a reaper bottle.  They seem to be pretty air tight and paints last awhile in there.

I mix my custom colors in there.  I don't even try to fill it up.  I just mix a bit more than I need.  I then thin it in the tub to the level where it is the thickest I will ever need.  I paint the area I wanted and then save the rest.  If I screw up or need to touch up, I can pull out the little tub.  When you are done with the mini you can get rid of it or just remove it from your general working space.  This saves me the bother of working with a wet palette, which would also keep the paint around.

When you do a custom color, its always nice to have a litte extra around, but you don't need to mix a whole bottle unless you are planning on using it a lot.  The mini tubs work great for this.

My worst fear is simply not finishing, for whatever reason.  That's why I managed six in about as many weeks when I first started.  Plus, with the music going on, and other interests.. well.. it's hard to make time.

But I did just basecoat Kruff's shirt and pants today.  Maybe I'll get to his boots, too.  After I try recording guitars for my new song again, anyway. :down:

Edit:  As I just finished inking Kruff's shirt and pants, plus a second coat on the cloak, something else dawned on me:  I'm terrified of getting anything other than paint on my beloved Vallejo brushes.  I use the ratted $2 size 0 brush to do my inking.