65051: Jolie, Female Scribe

Klivian

I fell in love with this sculpt at first sight and from her popularity on CMON, it seems that I'm not alone. She's been painted by so many fantastic artists, that I was a bit hesitant when I first started her.

I finally decided I wanted the robe's base to be Twilight Blue blended up to Marine Teal highlights. For the under robe at the front, I used Snow Shadow. After that, it was just a matter of picking accent colors to match (purples, golds, browns).

jolie_composite.jpg

This mini was a joy to paint! So many details to have fun with. I very much enjoyed painting her robes. I believe my blending and contrast on clothing is getting slowly better.

I need more practice on faces and hair, though. This is the first female face I've painted and only the fourth face overall. It was nerve wracking! I saved the face until last and kept thinking, "if I royally screw up her face, that's all anyone will notice and the work on the rest of the mini will be for naught!"

I've also discovered my Tanned Skin is too dark for my tastes as a skin base and for some reason is remaining clumpy despite thinning with water. =/

Comments and criticism appreciated!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also discovered my Tanned Skin is too dark for my tastes as a skin base and for some reason is remaining clumpy despite thinning with water. =/

Sometimes the paint in the dropper bottles can get clumpy in the dropper tip. If that's the problem, the fix is easy enough. Remove the tip, wash it out and replace it. If the clumps are throughout the paint in the bottle, you can try vigorous shaking and stirring and possibly a little flow improver to counter the thickness.

While I haven't tried it yet, I've heard that acrylic thinner can help. A motorized paint mixer is another idea I've read about, but haven't tried.

Really nice painting here! Only thing that I think would improve the mini easily, would be some more shading or some "lining" between the hair and the flesh. Even a delicate brown wash would do.

That's a good idea. I hadn't noticed how they are tending to blend together too much.

Sometimes the paint in the dropper bottles can get clumpy in the dropper tip. If that's the problem, the fix is easy enough. Remove the tip, wash it out and replace it. If the clumps are throughout the paint in the bottle, you can try vigorous shaking and stirring and possibly a little flow improver to counter the thickness.

I'll give that a try!

Thanks for the feedback, all!