Sign in to follow this  
Castlebuilder

Scenario Discussion II

I've been meaning to start a thread about this since Origins, but I got busy and forgot. Since I believe (no, I am not positive of this!) the scenarios from ReaperCon, Origins, and GenCon will eventually wind up in a published scenario book, I think this discussion topic is still valid.

I ran a tournament at my local shop and also ran the one at Origins. The Haunted Ruins seemed like it played very well, with some very tough fights among the ruins. It seems, however, that the Cairn Stones were neglected. With an 80% chance of causing a damaging spell upon anyone in the ruins, it seems like a no brainer to let the enemy move onto the hill early in the turn, and then break a stone or two. After the enemy takes the heat, you move up and hold the ground. While this thread is to discuss the whole scenario, my primary question is why nobody seemed to be interested in the Cairn Stones? Were they to hard to crack? Was everyone simply to focused on getting leaders into the objective area? The Cairn Stones are a neat option to the scenario and I hate to see them be neglected.

We were actually talking about this at the Hobby Shop last Sunday. The common reason to ignore it was because it was too hard to destroy. My personal reason for never attacking one is because I usually have too many models on the hill.

I know that some of the effects would be game changing and I hope to see the scenario played a few more times.