Sign in to follow this  
dks

60025 Gray Maiden (Pathfinder)

I keep working my way through the Pathfinder range, painting what I can.

This latest figure is a Gray Maiden, a member of the all-female royal guard in the second Pathfinder Adventure Path, Curse of the Crimson Throne.

I sculpted it earlier this year.

The concept art is by Eva Widermann and it is on the back cover of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, but I don't see it available online to give you a link to it.

Suffice it to say that I tried to make the figure (sculpted and painted) look like the art!

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-12795896063376_thumb.jpg

• Like 20

29eg2nd.jpg

& yes it does!!

Love the armor & the shield. Fantastic piece of art, dks!!

RM

• Like 1

Wow! I've not really been following the Pathfinder minis much, but I think I need to start. I really like the overall concept...not to mention the execution.

Derek..you're good...danm good! Keep 'em coming!

As usual, everything you paint is instantly a favorite of mine. I love your use of color and your blending, every time you post something it fires me up and motivates me to paint and practice so thanks for that. Keep them coming, love them all.

Wow. Derek, I think this is by far your most 'elegant' sculpt. I'm really impressed with this one. My fiance was too :)

Thanks for sharing your work.

Pez :zombie:

Ahhhh, le sigh, le sigh.

Gorgeous, as always. The metals look so smooth and lovely, and the reds are sublime. You really need to give us a NMM tutorial sometime showing your step-by-step, because no one paints like that, that I know if.

Beautiful sculpt and paintjob. I usually don't like covered faces, but this figure is the exception. :wub:

Great looking paint job, Derek! I had my eye on this mini to work on in the near future, and this just makes me want to give it a try even more. :B):

Ahhh...Thank you so much! As soon as I saw the preview for this, I was really hoping you would paint her and post it. She is so elegant and graceful. The reds are gorgeous - would you share how you did them?

Sweet Moses, that is stunning! I always admire your reds because they're RED! Never orange, never pink. Really nice seeing it along with the concept art (thanks, Haldir).

Derek, Again you amaze me. The best metal work I have ever seen. It looks like it is truely made of steel. I have not tried any Pathfinder minis yet, but this may be my first after seeing yours. Keep showing your work, I do enjoy seeing your sculpts and paint jobs.

Jim

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

@haldir: Thanks for finding and posting the art.

@pez5767: Thanks, I tried to make it elegant since Eva's art was so elegant. As you can see, the proportions of the art (9 heads tall or so) are different from the established proportions of the Pathfinder line (6-7 heads tall), but I did what I could.

@MamaGeek: If I manage to stop myself and take WIPs while I'm painting a future figure, I'll post them. Basically I started with the midtones (Shadowed Stone and Weathered Stone), added some highlights (mix in Ghost White), deepened some shadows (Brown Liner), and saved the highest glint-highlights (Linen White) for last... and then added all the reflections (green, red, etc.).

@Warlady: The reds: started with gray brush-on primer (mix of white & black). Covered with a mix of Clear Red and Clear Orange. Shaded with Auburn Shadow. Then a flurry of Carrot Top Red, Bright Red, Phoenix Red, Bright Coral, Rosy Skin, and a bit of Linen White on the plume, plus more shading in Blackened Brown and Brown Liner, and glazes of Clear Red and Carnage Red. I've painted a lot of Blood Angel space marines, and the red glazes were key to keeping them from being pink.

Derek

• Like 3

Also... @cookjimjr, @MamaGeek, and @Brushmaster: Another trick on these metals was that I took some photographs of the bare metal miniature, with a few different lighting positions (front/side/rear, near/far) and then referred to them as I painted the non-metallic metal grays. It wasn't exact, but it at least showed me where I needed to have some bright glints in order to make the metal convincing. After that, there was a lot of artistic license.

@cookjimjr: Yeah, don't exclude figures from your repertoire just because they're in the Pathfinder line ... though I'm sure I myself am missing out on some good figures from other lines for this same reason. I could see this one painted in different colors/heraldry as a female knight in any world, not specifically a Gray Maiden. I'm considering taking another one of these figures and doing a head-swap (non-helmeted) to paint as a female paladin.

Derek

• Like 1