Pathfinder Red Dragon

This figure was one that I wanted to paint for a while. The base coat was Desert Yellow primer from the Army Painter, a yellow-tan color that gives a good undercolor for the red layers that go on top. If I use white, I need to wash with yellow to start as otherwise the tone will be pink.

The main red color was Napthol Red Light (Golden Fluid Acrylics (GFA)) and Liquitex ink (vivid red orange). This was highlighted with a mix of red-orange ink and titanium white. Burnt Sienna ink was used to tone things down. The dark stripes were glazes of Turquoise ink, with highlihts of orange-white. The stripe scales need cleaning up as originally I highlighted them with light blue, but that made the dragon start to look cartoony.

The teeth are Reaper Golden highlight with some titanium white. The horns are hihglighted with golden highlight, then shaded down with Burnt Umber. These need more final highlights. The horns along the sides of the neck are golden highlight, shaded down with burnt umber and "deep violet" ink.

Next I need to decide whether to add some fire from his mouth or just keep it all simple. The fire would mean object source lighting, which might be good, but not very "contrasty" with the already orange/red highlights of the scales. The wings are going to be a big decision also, as I could go for painting lots of texture and color patterns or just a smooth gradient with veins. The gradient might balance out the scale texture.

red_path_1.jpg

red_path_2.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Absolutely amazing. I love the highlighting you've given the scales. I have that miniature sitting in a box, but I am too scared to put it together, let alone try to paint it.

Thanks! The scales on the sides and back are mainly just shaded with washes and glazes with the highlighting painted on the edges with a fine brush. One could get a similar result with drubrushing but it would have to be careful drybrushing. I find it easier to just go one by one and pick out each scale.

So basically what I am saying is that this model should not be scary to start if you stick to simple techniques. You could actually prime it or basecoat it red, give it a coating of brown "dip", like the quickshade dip from the Army Painter, and then drybrush with orange and get a pretty good result. It's all about letting the texture of the model do the work.

mmmmmm, dragon....Love him, Eric, and I vote for the gradient and veining on those wings, make them glow a bit from beneath, you need something to offset the busyness of the scales and pointies. But...where are the eyes?

Thanks Sue,

No eyes yet. There are still some details to add and maybe rethink but I am definitely leaning towards nice smooth wings.

mmmmmm, dragon....Love him, Eric, and I vote for the gradient and veining on those wings, make them glow a bit from beneath, you need something to offset the busyness of the scales and pointies. But...where are the eyes?

Thanks Sue,

No eyes yet. There are still some details to add and maybe rethink but I am definitely leaning towards nice smooth wings.

Almost done now, but I need to do the groundwork. The reds were evened out with GW baal red glaze. This also removed the shine from some bad dullcote.

post-1068-12923589168327_thumb.jpg

post-1068-12923589231329_thumb.jpg