TaleSpinner

Beholder WIP

Well, I took the plunge and cut it's face off last night. It was like sawing one of my kids in half (OK, maybe not that bad). I broke three saw blades in the process. Afterward I used my Dremel to hollow it out and cut the wires from the inside so I was able to remove them. I have to re-sculpt the membranes at the sides of the mouth, several of the scales on the sides, and the center plate on the top of the head. I probably have about three to five hours of work left and then it will be done. :bday:

Andy

Yay! Getting closer!

Sorry about your saw blades, that's a real bummer.

I know how you feel about cutting your sculpt in half. I found a mold line VERY late in the process of painting my Golden Demon entry last year, and it was incredibly difficult to take a file to my paint job to fix it.

I have every confidence in your ability to fix it back up again, though! Good luck!

Fantastic work on this piece, TS. I hope you get it cast so others can enjoy your fine work.

Could you explain why you had to remove the wires? Couldn't you have cut them off flush, or at worst, drilled/ground them out until you had the room you needed for mounting the tentacles?

...now why didn't anyone ELSE ever think of basing a beholder against a stalagmite like that? Now that YOU did it, it seems so obvious... keep it up!

Could you explain why you had to remove the wires? Couldn't you have cut them off flush, or at worst, drilled/ground them out until you had the room you needed for mounting the tentacles?

The short answer is, because I wanted to. ::D:

The long detailed answer is that I do want to get this piece cast/sell it to a mini company at some point. In order to do that, I will need to cut it into pieces to allow for casting. The one main piece I KNOW that will be needed is to cut the mini in half, i.e. cut the face and upper jaw off. Any caster will also want the mini hollowed out to save on pewter. So, I decided that I might as well at least do this step before I call it done. It also has the added benefit of letting me easily pull out the wires and retool the top to fit the eye stalks. If I knew that this was never going to get cast, I'd just cut the wires off, grind out the holes and then glue the stalks on after painting. It was, in fact, what I intended to do when I first started this piece. Now, I've received enough interest in this sculpt that I'd like to give it a shot at getting produced. Also, if I'm going to make it as a sculptor, I've got to learn how to engineer my sculpts for casting, and I figure there's no time like the present to practice and learn. If I screw something up, I can always just re-sculpt. I am not under contract on this piece and have no deadline, so it is a good piece to play with and learn on; in fact, that was the original intent of this piece.

...now why didn't anyone ELSE ever think of basing a beholder against a stalagmite like that? Now that YOU did it, it seems so obvious... keep it up!

I don't know, it always seemed like something that would be obvious to me too. I've had it in the back of my mind for years. :B):

Thanks,

Andy

Sorry about your saw blades, that's a real bummer.

Not really, it's a jewler's saw with 0/4 blades. They tend to break a lot. The place I get the blades sells them retail by the Gross (144). I wasn't really complaining about the saw blades, I was just noting it as a point of interest and an indicator of my own inexperience with the tool.

He's come out absolutely stunning. You should be extremely proud.

I also love that the wine stain on the cork holding all the tentacles makes it look like they were severed and mounted on a chopping block :devil:

I love the stalagmite for mounting so he gives the impression of hovering while still having something solid, and a little heavy to attach him to a base. If it makes it to production, I'd want to make the actual base very heavy for use, I imagine he is very top heavy right now. Will probably be better once he is hollowed out, but I'd be worried about the tentacles getting squished from a fall. But that's what washers are for :lol:

This looks great.

There is only one problem, You typically don't make or paint minis unless you intend to use them on your players...which fills me with dread.

...or unless you can interest a manufacturer. I'd buy that one; it's a visual departure from most beholders.

I doubt we'll see anything for a while, since Andy is dealing with health issues. He is recovering well, but I'm sure he'd still appreciate your thoughts and prayers!

I doubt we'll see anything for a while, since Andy is dealing with health issues. He is recovering well, but I'm sure he'd still appreciate your thoughts and prayers!

Thanks MG! ::): Yes, thoughts and prayers are most welcome after the week I've had.

I am back to a functioning level again, sort of. I'm still a bit weak. I went back to work yesterday, but I was so tired by the end of the day I couldn't do anything but lay around last night. For the curious, I have/had a genetic heart condition for which I had my fourth intravenous surgery to correct on July 26th. The surgery went very well and I am seemingly cured at this point. However, as a complication to the procedure, I had a very minor stroke (TIA) in my occipital lobe (optical center of the brain). This ended up causing no lasting damage to my vision, but did set my recovery back a bit. Right now, I'm waiting for my heart to heal and get stronger so I can do more. I'm hopeful that I will get back to sculpting tonight.

On another front, I have been doing some sculpting in the last month, but have not progressed on the Beholder. I have another project I am working on that I am not at liberty to share publicly at this time. However, I do plan on getting the Beholder done sometime this month.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Andy

Thanks MG! ::): Yes, thoughts and prayers are most welcome after the week I've had.

I am back to a functioning level again, sort of. I'm still a bit weak. I went back to work yesterday, but I was so tired by the end of the day I couldn't do anything but lay around last night. For the curious, I have/had a genetic heart condition for which I had my fourth intravenous surgery to correct on July 26th. The surgery went very well and I am seemingly cured at this point. However, as a complication to the procedure, I had a very minor stroke (TIA) in my occipital lobe (optical center of the brain). This ended up causing no lasting damage to my vision, but did set my recovery back a bit. Right now, I'm waiting for my heart to heal and get stronger so I can do more. I'm hopeful that I will get back to sculpting tonight.

On another front, I have been doing some sculpting in the last month, but have not progressed on the Beholder. I have another project I am working on that I am not at liberty to share publicly at this time. However, I do plan on getting the Beholder done sometime this month.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Andy

Best wishes Andy hope your recovery goes well.

Kind regards

David (Cushionsnbeans)

Best wishes Andy hope your recovery goes well.

Kind regards

David (Cushionsnbeans)

Thanks. It was a rocky recovery as I caught a secondary viral infection. It was mostly just a fever and muscle aches and cramps, but it lasted most of last week. I got better yesterday. Today I'm feeling great; better than I have in a very long time. It's amazing what having a normal heart beat can do for you.

I have made recent progress last week on this guy. I got the scales around the cut fixed and have re-sculpted half of the plate on top that got messed up during cutting. I just have to fix the other half, redo the cheek membrane, fix two teeth that I broke off, and fit the ten eye-stalks (I already tried a few and it looks like most of them already fit correctly without changes to the model). Hopefully, I'll have him done yet this week or next (though my yard and house need a lot of attention too right now <_<).

Andy