I just got my first sculptor's copy in the mail from Troll Forged Minis. The details are pretty good, though there are a few minor issues:

- A few of the claws on the eyestalks are either blunted or missing.

- The left hand webbing on the mouth is missing

- A claw from the tongue is missing, though it is missing from the original too so that might need to be remolded

- A tooth was broken off in shipping

Now all of these things would be pretty easy for me to fix in mini-prep, but I want your thoughts on this.

Here are the pictures of it as it came out of the bags:

post-140-0-18133900-1330445021_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-74341700-1330445023_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-16849900-1330445018_thumb.jpg

Look for the Painting WIP to come soon (I just have to finish up my current sculpt first and then I'll be preping and painting this guy). This will be the first resin mini I have ever painted.

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 2

The webbing missing would be a big disppointment for me. I can fix / repair broken stuff, and the teeth / horns aren't too big - missing won't bother me much there. But no way can I re-sculpt webbing. I would have to cut the webbing off the other side so they match, and that would kill a nice part of the mini.

• Like 2

I just talked to the caster. The webbing on the side actually broke off during shipping. The missing points are due to the resin not filling in the fiddly bits well. This particular copy is just for me to paint up as he gets the rest of the kinks worked out of the mold, so it doesn't have these issues in the future. In the long run, he will likely make it using his new plastic which holds the same detail and is a lot stronger and eisier to cast than resin. It wil be interesting to see this develop. I'm learning so much right now.

Andy

I hope you are right about the changes being successful. I've been waiting for this model with baited breath.

Will you be getting another one to verify the changes before release?

I hope you are right about the changes being successful. I've been waiting for this model with baited breath.

Will you be getting another one to verify the changes before release?

For sure, I'm supposed to be getting 6 sculptor copies total. This was just the first trial copy.

Glad to hear those are shipping breaks and/or fixable casting issues. I'd be hesitant to want to deal with resculpting the mouth webbing. As Sethoman said, doing a tooth or small horn is fairly easy to fix. The webbing is far more complicated. Looking forward to seeing the final production pieces and your painted copy.

Still want.

For all that I have way too many beholders as it is. This one's a departure, and an interesting one.

Any indicator as to when they come out for the rest of us?

Nope. He said when he gets the plastic lineup and running, which is supposed to be sometime this spring. From what I gathered he's just waiting to get a component of the mix from somewhere overseas.

Andy

Even with the webbing "issue" I'm still super-excited for this model. I know TFM has longer times since this isn't his FT job, so I'm patiently waiting. I'll be getting 2 or 3 of these for certain.

Also: I want to see what you do with this wonderful. model that you are painting. That will certainly help with my waiting :)

Hey, Andy, have you considered making some videos on miniature prep with a dremel? They could feature your beholder model, and serve as a promotion as well as an educational tool for the rest of us. I'm still kind of afraid to try out the tool. (Although a metal mini prep video might be more useful for most of us.)

I'm still kind of afraid to try out the tool. (Although a metal mini prep video might be more useful for most of us.)

The best thing to do is get some older scrap minis and practice. Or just acknowledge you'll probably sacrifice the first couple as you get the feel for it. It's just about getting the feel for the tool and knowing how much pressure to use, and what kind of bit to use for a different application.

Wear safety glasses and put the piece in a small desk vice or hold it tightly. The hardest part is just learning to control the tip of the bit so it doesn't skip.

Hey, Andy, have you considered making some videos on miniature prep with a dremel? They could feature your beholder model, and serve as a promotion as well as an educational tool for the rest of us. I'm still kind of afraid to try out the tool. (Although a metal mini prep video might be more useful for most of us.)

Right now, that is not possible for me as my current video camera has no macro capabilities and my other camera is too old to have more than 10 second videos. I am buying a new camera this spring, the Cannon PowerShot SX260 HS :wub: . It has a great macro function with HD video. So, when I get the camera (likely in the end of April or early May), I will take you up on that. My website will be about ready to launch then too, so it would be good content for that as well.

Beyond that, I wouldn't do this with the Eye Beast, as it is in resin and I fear that using the dremel on it would be like watering my garden with a fire hose. :rolleyes:

Andy

Andy