An odd question..

Enchantra

• Reaper User

Yep, I'm with Whiz too.  I spray after every couple of layers and/or when I've finished a bit I really like, to protect it.  If you spill paint on it accidentally after that, the Dullcote layer makes it a lot easier to scrub off your "oops".  My models usually have between five and fifteen layers of Dullcote on them at finish.  

Otherwise, I don't use gloss or satin ever--both because it looks unnatural, and because, having put hours and hours into blending layers and freehand detail, I want the observer to see that--not a reflected distracting shine.

--Anne  :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh! fifteen coats??? And how many details dissappear with that???

I don't even prime plastic models anymore, because I don't want to add an extra layer of paint to the finished product (plus I don't believe in drybrushing tank models...). On metal figures I do a primer, paintjob, glosscote (with Future...having tried every other commercial clearcoat none of them match the durability of this stuff!) and dullcoat with GW's spray matte. Thats IT then!

If your paintjobs are rubbing off, instead of looking at the clearcoats, look at the primer. Most of the figures I have that show chipping or wear is because I had used an inferior primer at that time.

Damon.

• Reaper User
Ugh! fifteen coats??? And how many details dissappear with that???

*snip*

Damon.

*raising eyebrows*  None, actually.  Since I'm continually adding layers of paint on top of the layers of Dullcote, and the Dullcote is a clear flat (not slightly frosty-flat like GW and some other brands), and I'm spraying on thin layers of the Dullcote, it never builds up enough to obscure anything.  I have had dullcote "pool" in very deep areas of minis (such as cloak folds) in the past, but then I was also spraying very heavily (a big mistake).  Any of my minis in the Reaper Painted Showcase have upwards of five to ten layers of Dullcote on 'em, Sophie's got at least fifteen, and as far as I can tell (anyone?) it hasn't obscured anything.  

Also, it's really not about paint rubbing off the model with me, so much as being able to save an "oops" if I mis-stroke and need to scrub to get a paint mistake off of a done area.  Or like today, where I dropped a mini in a puddle of paint...doh!!  :)

--Anne-the-Butterfingers