A discovery..

Enchantra

I was putting the final touches on a mini today and was applying coarse turf and foliage, when I ran out of glue.  So what could I use?  I saw my large bottle of brush on clear outdoor matte sealant by Folk Art and I put small dots of that down.  It holds well!  And when I go to ever wash the mini, I know the foliage will not come off because the varnish I used as glue is waterproof when dry.  I found that soaking the foliage with the varnish is best, for it gives it a bit extra ridgidity too so it can withstand a bit of abuse by gamers.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting tip, I've done that before myself, I more please with those results then with acutal white glue!!

Randy M

Yeah white glue is water soluble, this stuff isn't, so when it dries, its permanent.  I like that above all else.   That way G-d forbid something gets spilled on a mini at a gaming session, my work isn't ruined.

That sounds like a good idea. I've generally used white glue. Another "stiffening" trick is to put down your flock, then dip the base in a 50/50 (or so) glue and water mix. Basically, thick as whole milk. When it dries, the flock will have soaked up the glue and will be stiff and resist mangling pretty well. I have a mini used for every game session since early 2000 done with this method, and it still has all of its flock.

I have to try the brush-on matte sealer....or maybe my brush-on gloss and then hit it with matte spray sealer.

Acually, I use clear nail polish to help hold my foliage together mixed with drying glue.  I thought about covering it all with paint on matte.  But then, I used up so much of it, I'll have to get several bottles of this stuff since it'll run out alot.

(Vallejo anyways).

If folks arts has a paint on matte that's in a good quantity with a low price, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the tip.

Acually, I use clear nail polish to help hold my foliage together mixed with drying glue.  I thought about covering it all with paint on matte.  But then, I used up so much of it, I'll have to get several bottles of this stuff since it'll run out alot.

(Vallejo anyways).

If folks arts has a paint on matte that's in a good quantity with a low price, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the tip.

I believe it is an 8 ouce bottle.  I believe $6.  A little goes a long way and I actually thin mine down to 2/3 to 1/2 its original consistency with a bit of extender.  It dries clear and has the same matte finish as Testors Dull Cote.  Apply a thin coat of it to the mini, but on the base you can use a thicker coat and use drops of it to cement the foliage to the base.