C.S.S. Caudell

Froggy the Great

This is the C.S.S. Caudell, a flying ironclad, or "Aeronef" of the unvanquished Confederacy. This is circa 1880, assuming Wells and Verne were right, and the unobtanium mines of Atlantis proved viable.

From the top of the torpedo spar to the propeller, she's 16" long. She's constructed from foamcore, styrene, and craft sticks, plus whatever else I had laying around.

I learned several things when painting the flag on the tail:

1) what most people think of as "The Confederate Flag" was actually a naval jack.

2) it's far too emotionally charged an issue for me to put that flag on a model I'm making when I live in the South. Like, I've stood where the Citadel cadets shelled Fort Sumpter.

3. The seven stars on a blue field was another common naval Jack that doesn't have quite the emotional/political tension associated with it.

post-334-12822729111376_thumb.jpg

WIP thread: http://www.reapermin...he-confederacy/

• Like 2

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so cool! makes me want to start a naval combat game.

Thanks! If you know of a system to use for this, I am quite open to suggestions. I'm currently actively looking.

The torpedo spar is a very nice touch. I want to see it used against an Atlantean ship!

Make one. I'll cheerfully accept a thrown glove on the matter next Reapercon.

Thanks! If you know of a system to use for this, I am quite open to suggestions. I'm currently actively looking.

And here I thought you were building ships for Sky Galleons of Mars.

Since you're not, can I suggest Sky Galleons of Mars. wink.gif

I have a copy of SGM. It might be adaptable. It was written for tiny models (1/600 ?) with no individual figures. They maneuvered on a hex-map and could fire ordnance at great distance. Boarding actions were abstracted, IIRC.

I also have the actual Aeronef rules (Wessex Games) those are for 1/1200 models and the cruise over a map (or terrain) that is, I think, 1:50000 scale. (Ground scale is the same as UK ordnance maps.)

I think GDW also did a RPG companion to SGM. Might have had 'Cloud Captains' and/or 'Gunboats' in the title?

I have a copy of SGM. It might be adaptable. It was written for tiny models (1/600 ?) with no individual figures. They maneuvered on a hex-map and could fire ordnance at great distance. Boarding actions were abstracted, IIRC.

I also have the actual Aeronef rules (Wessex Games) those are for 1/1200 models and the cruise over a map (or terrain) that is, I think, 1:50000 scale. (Ground scale is the same as UK ordnance maps.)

I think GDW also did a RPG companion to SGM. Might have had 'Cloud Captains' and/or 'Gunboats' in the title?

The RPG is Space 1889. Cloudships & Gunboats adds tactical rules for boarding actions (and hexmap deckplans) and more ship designs. It looks as though the rules for both Sky Galleons of Mars and Cloudships & Gunboats have been reprinted in an inexpensive omnibus edition. (Doesn't have the hexmaps, though.)

This is the C.S.S. Caudell, a flying ironclad, or "Aeronef" of the unvanquished Confederacy. This is circa 1880, assuming Wells and Verne were right, and the unobtanium mines of Atlantis proved viable.

From the top of the torpedo spar to the propeller, she's 16" long. She's constructed from foamcore, styrene, and craft sticks, plus whatever else I had laying around.

I learned several things when painting the flag on the tail:

1) what most people think of as "The Confederate Flag" was actually a naval jack.

2) it's far too emotionally charged an issue for me to put that flag on a model I'm making when I live in the South. Like, I've stood where the Citadel cadets shelled Fort Sumpter.

3. The seven stars on a blue field was another common naval Jack that doesn't have quite the emotional/political tension associated with it.

This is very cool. I want to build one now.

I have a few questions about the ensign / insignia:

Did the historical Confederacy have nine members and then later 13 members?

If so, how did it settle on a seven star naval jack?

Does the unvanquished Confederacy in your alternate history have only seven states?

Did Texas withdraw from this Confederacy (the UC?) and resume the sovereign status it had prior to 1845?

I wonder if the great powers in a VSF alternate history might adopt roundel insigias for Aeronefs (like the great powers did for dirigibles and aircraft in the Great War).

This is very cool. I want to build one now.

I have a few questions about the ensign / insignia:

Did the historical Confederacy have nine members and then later 13 members?

If so, how did it settle on a seven star naval jack?

Does the unvanquished Confederacy in your alternate history have only seven states?

Did Texas withdraw from this Confederacy (the UC?) and resume the sovereign status it had prior to 1845?

I wonder if the great powers in a VSF alternate history might adopt roundel insigias for Aeronefs (like the great powers did for dirigibles and aircraft in the Great War).

1. The research I did was too cursory to illuminate that.

1.2. See 1.

2. Haven't got that far. I imagine it has as many as it needs, what with the western expansion and now Atlantis getting carved up by every power imaginable.

3. If BlueWeasel ever finishes his Republic of Texas 'nef, we can determine that on the battlefield.