Greetings!

After a long layoff from gaming, we're a small crew of ex-WHFB players, who want to play more casually on a smaller scale.

We've decided on warlord with max. 500pts starting warbands, in a campaign setting where there'll be experience pts, upkeep etc.

Basically it's gonna be kept smallscale, and be more about building experience on a few select(10-20ish) models, playing various scenario's rather than only kill'em'all.

(We will be able to recruit new soliders/leaders inbetween battles with the gold earned after upkeep, but in general I doubt we'll even reach 750pts)

I'm basically looking for help designing a competitive 500pts Darkspawn crew, who'll most likely be facing Elves, Crusaders, Dwarfs and Overlords.

On a sidenote. I'm not interested in too gimmicky tactics, like for example the daisychain I read about. Rather something powerfull yet wellrounded with 8-12'ish models.

Throw out yer suggestions, and I'll see what looks most appealing in terms of models and my playstyle.

Thx in advance!

Azazel

Greetings!

After a long layoff from gaming, we're a small crew of ex-WHFB players, who want to play more casually on a smaller scale.

We've decided on warlord with max. 500pts starting warbands, in a campaign setting where there'll be experience pts, upkeep etc.

Basically it's gonna be kept smallscale, and be more about building experience on a few select(10-20ish) models, playing various scenario's rather than only kill'em'all.

(We will be able to recruit new soliders/leaders inbetween battles with the gold earned after upkeep, but in general I doubt we'll even reach 750pts)

I'm basically looking for help designing a competitive 500pts Darkspawn crew, who'll most likely be facing Elves, Crusaders, Dwarfs and Overlords.

On a sidenote. I'm not interested in too gimmicky tactics, like for example the daisychain I read about. Rather something powerfull yet wellrounded with 8-12'ish models.

Throw out yer suggestions, and I'll see what looks most appealing in terms of models and my playstyle.

Thx in advance!

Azazel

You can do quite a few things with Darkspawn. It depends what you enjoy playing with.

Darkspawn - 497 points (Pain Doctrine)-Demon Theme

Troop 1

Rahl, Duke of Pain

Demon Warrior x 3

Demon Imp x 6

Troop 2

Guros, Baron of Whips

Incubus/Succubus Warrior x 4

+Luck Stone

Darkspawn - 500 points (Pain Doctrine)-Aberration Theme

Troop 1

Xeldorian, Tyrant of Darkness

Broken Fodder x 12

D'Khul, Bathalian

Lesser Devil x 3

Troop 2

Devourer of Mashaf

+Luck Stone

I was messing around with the army creator some, and thought up something like this. I just feel like it might lack punch somehow, but with my non-existant experience I cant really know for sure? - enlighten me plz!

Troop 1:

Bathalian Primarch

4 x Isiri Arachnid Archers

Troop 2:

Guros, Baron of Whips

4 x Succubi

+ Luckstone

Total: 494pts

Looking at it, with zero experience, the stats indicate that I might not deal out alotta damage in b2b, and might get my few flyers shot to pieces? or what?

On a sidenote, comming from a background as a WHFB Chaos player, Im not really suited for horde-type builds, and should prolly aim at some kinda few-but-tuff elite build.

Thanks alot for the feedback. It is much appreciated.

- Azazel

My major concern would be your ability to protect the Arachnid Archers. Their relatively short range means you need to move them in close to have decent success with them. They are most effective when screened by a line of other troops, as their Large base size then lets them fire away with impunity over smaller troops. In keeping with your low-count, high-impact request, how about something like:

Darkspawn - 499 points

Troop 1

Rauthuros

Troop 2

Guros, Baron of Whips

Thuusia, Pain Mage

Goatman Demon x 3

Incubus/Succubus Warrior x 3

Luck Stone

It's a heavy dose of Flyers mixed with some hard-hitting melee, supported by spellcasters. You have no ranged attacks, but the Flyers and casters should make up for that. It can easily be used with either Doctrine, meaning you could hold some or even all of your demonic soldiers off the board to drop them in to whichever troop needs them more (note that Rauthuros is a legal troop all by himself, as his minimum soldier requirement is 0, but if he summons any of the models from Troop 2 into his, then they become part of his activation - a cool trick to reassign troops "on the fly" as it were to meet scenario objectives), or you could just go all out for the pain tokens to heal wounds and boost the effectiveness of the spellcasters.

~v

Hi people!

Thx alot for your educated responses. It is much appreciated.

I'm fairly certain that it would be frowned upon by my gamingcrew, if I was to include Rauthuros whe when playing only 500pts. It would most likely be a reminder of the days with WHFB, where someone would field a dragon in a 1000pts army. ;)

How does this list look in terms of being both competitive and fun to play with, as well as against?

Troop 1:

Rahl, Duke of Pain

Thuusia, Pain Mage

4 x Isiri Warrior

Troop 2:

Guros, Baron of Whips

Ashakia

4 x Incubus Warrior

Troop 3:

Devourer of Mashaf

Total: 498pts

Thx in advance for your feedback.

-Azazel

In your second troop you have two leaders; Guros and Ashakia. You are only supposed to have one leader per troop. Easiest fix would probably be to replace Ashakia with Jhorxia the Sucubus. It would put your build over by a point, but an Albatross Amulet would take care of that. You could also drop Ashakia nd add two more Isiri Warriors to troop 1.

Hi there.

This should fix up the list to follow the rules.

Troop 1:

Rahl, Duke of Pain

Thuusia, Pain Mage

2 x Isiri Warrior

2 x Goatman Demon

Troop 2:

Guros, Baron of Whips

Jhorxia

4 x Incubus Warrior

Troop 3:

Devourer of Mashaf

Items: Luckstone

Total pts: 500

Only question now, is if this list is competitive, fun to play, and fun to play against?

Your help has been great. Will hopefully save me some grief, if I can avoid buying things I wont be fielding anyways. :)

- Azazel

• 2 weeks later...

My typical 500pt list looks something like this:

Darkspawn - 499 points

Troop 1

Javolith

Demon Warrior x 4

Nasithe

Gruesome Weapon

Troop 2

Ashakia

Isiri Archer x 3

Incubus/Succubus Warrior x 2

Troop 3

Luck Stone

The Grusome Weapon can go on either Javolith or Nasithe. I prefer to put it on Javolith myself. I also prefer a Demon/Elf mix list to keep things interesting, and also because I'm not much of a fan of Aberrations.

Hope you get some inspiration out of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Because it's on topic, how does this look for a 500 pt Darkspawn list?

Darkspawn - 497 points

Troop 1

Guros, Baron of Whips

Magic Weapon

Ice Demon x 2

Lesser Devil x 2

Thuusia, Pain Mage

Troop 2

Ashakia

Demon Imp x 2

Goatman Demon x 2

Troop 3

Demon Imp x 4

Troop 4

Marilith

Luck Stone

As far as I can tell, my biggest weakness is a near-total lack of ranged attacks (Lesser Devils have short-range option). My spell support looks decent to me, with various available buffs and attack speels available thru two casters. I'm pretty well happy with the melee capabilities overall. Am I reading into all this correctly? Thanks.

The main thing about Darkspawn is versatility thru magic. You will not find the highest defensive soldiers in darkspawn, nor will you find the highest attack values. They are filled with mid level soldiers. But, thru their versatility with magic, and side SAs is what makes them so powerful. Match that up with a couple of great Faction Abilities and it really gives them finishing strength. Obviously, there are all sorts of routes you can go with this. IF I were making a list, of only 500 points intended to be well rounded, it would look something like this:

Darkspawn - 500 points

Troop 1

Guros, Baron of Whips

D'Khul, Bathalian

Incubus/Succubus Warrior x 3

Broken Fodder x 3

Troop 2

Keradaan

Isiri Warrior x 2

Isiri Pain Tender x 2

Troop 3

Aundine

Troop 4

Devourer of Mashaf

Extra:

Luck Stone

----------------------------------------

Init cards: 4 (5 with tactician)

Spies: 1

Models: 15

It gives you three casters, and 1 archer. Guros and the Devourer give you early casting strength while models are at range followed by good melee. Aundine gives you a really good assassin model as long as you dont run her straight towards enemy archers. She can parry on defense and go to town on offense with her poison.

Keradaan and DhKul can hang back shooting and casting forcing the enemy to break ranks to get them or suffer.

The soldiers are not the top soldiers by any means, but used together the tenders can disable enemies from a reach position to help keep the front line warriors alive. The broken fodder help shield Keradaan and Dhkul to keep them doing their thing. The incubi can fly to the opponent's backfield and keep them guessing as to who the target will be.

This list would really shine if you could get it up to 750+ points where you can add more melee troops to keep the enemy occupied more.

I see that you like Darkspawn. Instead of telling you what to play I thought I would share some of my experiences.

Rauthuros: I love this guy, but useless if he isn’t hitting and killing things on turn 1. He is one of the best melee fighters in the game. Because of that little fact he is a fire magnet. If he is not moving from melee to melee he is toast. Playing him at 500 points is no big deal because your opponent will have more stuff and can deal with him. His liability is his points cost because he ties up a quarter to a half of your points depending on game size.

Witch Queen: She is to spell casting what Rauthuros is to melee. I use her a lot and to good effect. She is super vulnerable to shooting and melee. At 500 points she will hurt you in the points department, but her casting is nigh on close to unstoppable.

Guros: Is an all around decent leader. He is an ok flying caster who can drop fireball, fairly survivable, and good in hand to hand.

Ashakia: Great sergeant especially for all flying troops.

Keradaan: His purpose is mostly for leading archer heavy troops. Give him a magic bow and cast Barrage on him and your opponents will forever focus all fire on him because it is his most brutal combo.

Vysa: is my go to sergeant. I’ve built an interesting force using troops of her leading broken fodder and pain mages. This is a great model for the cost.

Currently I’ve found that Isiri Warriors are points wasted. Competent archery just destroys them, and they just die in melee. They are a speed bump to most troops. My regular opponents have learned to ignore the speed bumps and kill the real hitters in my force, which lets them easily mop up the rest of army. I’ve found the demons in this army are better all around. They have better special abilities, and are more competent in melee.

As a note this game was designed at 1000 points. Also you’ll find much of what annoyed you in the last war game you played isn’t the case. 1000 points is very fun so don't worry about building to 1000 points.

As a note this game was designed at 1000 points. Also you’ll find much of what annoyed you in the last war game you played isn’t the case. 1000 points is very fun so don't worry about building to 1000 points.

Interesting.

I figured to start with 500 pts because I was going to have to recruit people into the game. Smallish model count, reasonable start-up costs.

Still, I see what you're saying about 'designed for 1000 pts'. it gives you enough troops to truly utilize the initiative card system, plus you can mix and match your forces a bit more.

How does this look at 1000 pts?

Darkspawn - 999 points

Troop 1

Witch Queen

D'Khul, Bathalian

Familiar

Demon Warrior x 2

Ice Demon x 2

Albatross Amulet

Troop 2

Guros, Baron of Whips

Magic Weapon

Thuusia, Pain Mage

Demon Imp x 2

Lesser Devil x 2

Isiri Pain Tender

Troop 3

Keradaan

Magic Ranged Weapon

Isiri Archer x 4

Troop 4

Devourer of Mashaf

Troop 5

Marilith

Troop 6

Demon Imp x 3

Ice Queen, D'kul, Thuusia, and to a lesser extent, Guros and Devourer provide magical support. I have one dedicated troop of ranged attackers, a dedicated band of Demon Imps for harassment, and Marilith to slice and dice on a flank or whatever. Easier said than done, i'm sure, but I should have most options covered.

My only real point of contention was whether to take a magauroth (I would probably drop Dkul and an Imp from this list.) It looks like a good heavy hitter with some nasty specialties.

I love Marilith and she is in almost every list I build. I personally use Mastema instead of Maugrathoth but that has more to do with my preference of the miniature. I think Maugrathoth could be a good addition to your army, it would give the opponent something besides fragile mages to think about.

Hi people!

Thx for your feedback!

At the moment we are 4 warlord newbies playing around with a sorta necromunda-like scenario concept. We started with 500 pts, but after every battle we earn gold based on winning or losing, which we use to pay upkeep for troops, and strengthen the army. This meens that the armies grow slowly but steadily.

My army look like this after playing two battles. 1 won, and 1 lost.(The loss was due to a scenario where the topdog with the highest army rating was put at a grave disadvantage. I was winning, but the battle was lost if Rahl died, and he sadly got wasted due to me forgetting to heal him with the pain doctrine :huh: )

Troop 1:

Rahl, Duke of Pain

D'khul, Bathalian

Ice Demon x 2

Paintender x 2

Troop 2:

Guros

Jhorxia

Succubus x 4

Troop 3:

Devourer of Mashaf

Items: Luck Stone

I've had great success with the build so far, and especially the flyers have shined swooping in with swift attack, and using Jhorxia and Guros to mop up the remains once weakened. Having superior speed on the battlefield is great, and acts as a constant threat.

Mind Blast is an amazing spell, and having the ability to cast it with both D'khul and the devourer is great when playing only 500pts.

I feel like I've gotten good bang for the buck with the troop designs. Troop 1 lacks a bit of punch compared to my opponants, but I figure to remedy that if I can earn some gold with a couple more wins. Im aiming for using demon warriors for soldiers in Rahl's troop, to add the needed punch to be truly scary.

Any ideas on how to re-arrange points, or what to aim for in the future is greatly appreciated.

- Azazel