The new Savage North factions are wildly varied, or provide new takes on previously explored themes (Orcs, Dwarves, Elves) that are different enough to make them viable and worthwhile. If you were to add a new faction, or race to the game what would you add? Consider this an informal brainstorm about the kinds of factions you might want to appear in a future supplement.

Kobolds:

Of course I have to put forward the kobolds, and i think I will get alot of support, but I would prefer to see kobolds handled in the same manner as the BSG, meaning I don't want to see them as a tac on, or off-shoot army like Goblins are with the Reven and Kargir (not that they aren't viable to be played as goblin only armies). But what I'd like to see is a huge variety of different Kobold units and allies that form the core of a faction. Classic D&D kobolds are great, and recent 3rd and 4th edition D&D explorations of kobolds has given us so many different Kobold 'professions' and character types that certainly a whole faction could be explored. Dragons seems to have become almost common place in Warlord (althogh every datacard is worthy of being labelled 'dragon', so I don't have any qualms), and so to do they seem to fit with the kobold race. Rather than a massive beast though I would like to see Kobolds toting along Dragon Wyrmlings as Elites, and possibly a smaller 100 point range young dragon in tow. Not so much the idea of a Dragon Warlord (although that might be fine as well).

I've got many ideas, but I'll let other people explore the topic before I start bombaring the thread, I thought I's post the obvious one first however.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have suggested Kolbolds in the past , maybe even as far back as 3 years ago . :rolleyes:

Of course kobolds have been bantered around before, I never said they hadn't or that the idea was a unique or novel one, that is why I said it was an obvious choice. In fact, because it was an obvious choice and has been talked about before was exactly why I posted it. If we get behind a potential faction, I have no doubt that if another supplement is eventually put into the works, the 'people that be' will at very least consider what we have to say. So why not gather all the ideas again, even if only 1 or 2 ideas come to fruition.

Anyway, looking for more ideas and more input about races and factions that could actually be realised in a new supplement, or even potentially ideas to gather together to create a fan-based selection of mini-factions? I dunno.

So a Slithe type faction, beyond Sahuagin type beings, what else would you look at including alongside the Slithe? I do like the looks of some of the aquatic type Dark Heaven and Chronoscope minis coming out these days.

I like the idea of a Minotaur faction as well, what strengths and factions dynamics (defining characterics) do you think such a faction would have? Would you lean towards an all Large base size army? Or do you think Reaper would be better off adopting the D&D Standard size in hopes of getting RPG cross sales and making it a worthwhile faction from a business perspective. Interesting.

Well I have suggested Kolbolds in the past , maybe even as far back as 3 years ago . :rolleyes:

Of course kobolds have been bantered around before, I never said they hadn't or that the idea was a unique or novel one, that is why I said it was an obvious choice. In fact, because it was an obvious choice and has been talked about before was exactly why I posted it. If we get behind a potential faction, I have no doubt that if another supplement is eventually put into the works, the 'people that be' will at very least consider what we have to say. So why not gather all the ideas again, even if only 1 or 2 ideas come to fruition.

Anyway, looking for more ideas and more input about races and factions that could actually be realised in a new supplement, or even potentially ideas to gather together to create a fan-based selection of mini-factions? I dunno.

So a Slithe type faction, beyond Sahuagin type beings, what else would you look at including alongside the Slithe? I do like the looks of some of the aquatic type Dark Heaven and Chronoscope minis coming out these days.

I like the idea of a Minotaur faction as well, what strengths and factions dynamics (defining characterics) do you think such a faction would have? Would you lean towards an all Large base size army? Or do you think Reaper would be better off adopting the D&D Standard size in hopes of getting RPG cross sales and making it a worthwhile faction from a business perspective. Interesting.

I'd prefer a large base army personally. Weren't the minotaurs slightly hinted in the WL rulebook?

I'd prefer a large base army personally. Weren't the minotaurs slightly hinted in the WL rulebook?

There is a Large sized Soldier Minotaur miniature in the Merc Range already, but who is to say that can't be expanded.

thats what I meant. The fluff says "Now that the Nefsokar have returned to the surface of the land, so too have minotaurs." so there has got to me more of them in those ancient catacombs.

Ok, here's a kind of twisted thought ...

How about a Peasant's Army? When the Overlords move into an area to try and conquer, the civilians rise to defend their homes with whatever they have handy.

The farmers with scythes, smiths with hammers, cooks with frying pans, etc ...

Jungle Savage Halflings. laugh.gif

On other boards for other games, I've seen calls for more halfling miniatures. I personally wouldn't be interested, but it looks like there are at least a few people out there who would be.

After pondering this a bit after my last post, I realized one of the things I like about all the Warlord factions is that they aren't just a "hey, let's do a x faction based on y" with a bunch of cool miniatures designed around a single historical theme. All of them seem to start with a core idea, and build upon that idea in a logical fashion. This is particularly true of the human factions - unlike another game's human factions, the Overlords, Crusaders and Sister's of the Blade aren't just reimagined Germans/French/etc. They have a core ideal/philosophy they're built around - which may have a historical counterpart, but one that has been logically fashion to fit the Warlord world.

Whatever new factions come along, that same ideal should be held to. So rather than doing an "oriental faction" that's just humans in different clothing, the faction would start with one of the many asian cultural philosophies, and build up in a logical fashion from there to fit the Warlord world.

Whatever new factions come along, that same ideal should be held to. So rather than doing an "oriental faction" that's just humans in different clothing, the faction would start with one of the many asian cultural philosophies, and build up in a logical fashion from there to fit the Warlord world.

My assessment of the situation would be that new factions would have to fill the following niches:

-Appeal to more than just Warlord players, in addition to such sales Reaper likely does a large portion of their Warlord minis sales to first painters, and secondly RPGers, so any factions need to have minis that have some sort of mass appeal.

-They have to be fun to play in the game, and the capability of being balanced and effective.

-And Lastly, there needs to be something unique about them in gameplay, meaning they have a combination of units or SA and Factions abilities that make them substantially different in gameplay to already existing factions.

Ultimately even if I was to have only the slightest of descriptions when designing a faction from bare bones (such as Kobolds), I believe I could fashion an effective and exciting background story to go with them as I built the faction up, and in tandem with creating a faction that would be enjoyable to play in the board (as good and important as fluff is, no one wants their faction to fall flat on the battlefield).

While I agree that 'Oriental' is just Humans in different clothing, remeber that Dwarfs were just Dwarfs, and Elves were just Elves until the Kragmar and Tembrithil were created. Meaning some of the existing factions, while they have great fluff, are still somewhat classic in their approach to fantasy stereotypes. But there are some factions that are very different and unique to the warlord setting; I'm just of the opinion that each one has its place. The more factions that get added, the fewer stereotypes there are to exploit, and the more unique factions that must be created if he game is to continue to grow. Gus and company have chosen, perhaps very rightly, to make the decision that once a faction is published it will not be changed or added to, it is pretty much complete (who knows, this might change eventially, but I doubt it will for a while).

Just thoughts, I don't disagree what you are saying, but at the same time I don't think generic descriptions are any less valid to discuss than very specific and unique ones. Even if those generic ideas just end up triggering people to give the topic a deeper look ('Heck, Kobolds seems awefully broad, I would do X to them to make them special). For instance, the idea of Kobolds has been posited, but there is nothing to say it couldn't be married to one of the other ideas presented, perhaps our Kobolds are also the primarily rural peasants in Amalor Myrnnyx example, rising up against oppression, so does that make out Kobolds good, evil, neutral, we could still decide to make them any of the 3, and in defining that we could further add to a basic set of Kobold datacards. A faction of Kobolds, who are good-hearted, and whom have been oppressed to the point of civil revolt would look alot different than simply Kobolds, but Kobolds was the fundamental idea we may have started with, and many of a generic Kobold datacards we might have brainstormed would still be viable as the faction gained more details and direction.

Food for thought.

Keep the ideas coming! We don't have nearly enough to begin to justify another supplement.